Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Daily Express

Posted

Anyone seen the express this morning.? The headline caught my eye. I haven't bought the paper and I'm reluctant to spend my money on it but I may try borrow one later. Didn't they have the same headline this time last year or something similar along the lines of "hundreds will die in arctic winter"

kind regards

JJB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Anyone seen the express this morning.? The headline caught my eye. I haven't bought the paper and I'm reluctant to spend my money on it but I may try borrow one later. Didn't they have the same headline this time last year or something similar along the lines of "hundreds will die in arctic winter"

kind regards

JJB

Now I've seen the headline too!!. I'm sure someone will tell us what they are on about.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

post-1052-1162371941_thumb.png

About as much as they'll show you on the website, may buy the paper later if I can be bothered.

Edited by Nick F

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I think they played this card last year!

if it does happen they want to be the first to

say "YOU HEARD IT FIRST IN THE DAILY EXPRESS"

Posted

I also tried to view the Express online and like everyone else don't want to buy the paper just for what i'm sure will be a headline for the sake of it with nothing to back it up.

The Express I'm sure did do a similar thing last year at just about this time. I'm sure i started a thread on the very subject. They are famous for their scare mongering headlines though.

However I think most of us on here would love to see it happen.

It's good to be back. I'm not overly interested in summer weather just winter weather and the possibility of snow. It's good to see Eye in the Sky and all the other regulars again though.

Moving soon from Crawley to Eastbourne so i'm sure i've shot myself in the foot once again and decreased my chances of snow.

Here's to an interesting winter...

Wayno

Posted

I noticed the Mail this morning had a headline proclaiming that the Government are going to pry into all our lives by wanting know how much we all earn. Erm.......tax return forms?

Utter nonsense from utter trash.

The Story is here on line!

http://www.express.co.uk/news_detail.html?sku=645

Britain faces an arctic winter

01/11/06

By Mark Reynolds

AFTER one of the hottest summers on record, Britons have been warned to prepare for the big chill.

Weathermen sent out the alert as they told the nation to wrap up for an icy blast from the Arctic.

Temperatures are set to plummet to minus 4 degrees celsius (24F) overnight in some parts of the country in what could herald the start of a long and bitter winter.

The sheer scale of the change in temperature, dropping up to 24F, will make conditions feel even colder.

The meteorologists warned that strong winds will also add to the chill factor in the wake of the warmest six months since records began.

But last night the Met Office said the big chill, which is initially set to grip the nation for at least the next week, signals an end to the extraordinarily mild weather.

Long-term forecasters believe the hot summer will give way to an unusually icy winter, with one agency predicting a 40 per cent chance of a white Christmas.

Some forecasters warned that parts of the country in February and March could face temperatures as low as minus 10C.

Andrew Bond, senior forecaster with MetCheck.com, said: “Traditionally, people see the winter months as November, December and January.

"But, if we look back over recent years, the winters have been slightly later through February and March.

“During the winter months in parts of the country we could see overnight temperatures of minus 10C.”

BBC long-term forecaster Susan Powell said: “The crux of the long-term forecast is that the period from December to February is likely to have lower than average temperatures.”

She added that this winter was likely to require the “piling on of Christmas jumpers and bobble hats”.

Other experts also warned that the winter is likely to be particularly drawn out, lasting into late March or beyond.

Dr Richard Wild, forensic meteorologist for WeatherNet Ltd, said: “We are experiencing the El Nino scenario, where the underlying effects of the temperature of the Pacific affects weather patterns.

“These underlying trends are towards a warmer winter in December and January for the US and Canada followed by a colder spell for Europe in early March, similar to the conditions we had last March, with cold dry turns and outbreaks of wind and snow.

“I think it would be fair to say that, if the El Nino system turns out to be the decisive factor, we can expect colder than average conditions at the end of winter in February and going into next spring.”

A Met Office spokesman said: “We have been getting used to winds coming from the south or south-west but we are going to get a blast of northerly air from the Arctic Circle for the first time.

“From tomorrow, especially in the East, there are going to be some pretty cold nights. The winds will swing round to come from the north and drop off slightly – light winds and cold air are the perfect ingredients for frost.

“A lot of people will be scraping the ice off their windscreens tomorrow morning.

“Temperatures will get down to freezing across the country and are expected to drop down to minus 3C (26F) or minus 4C (24F) in rural parts.

“Conditions may hover a degree or so above zero in cities in the South, but elsewhere the weather will be the coldest we have had so far. As a rough guide, wherever you are in the country, people will be looking at temperatures half as warm compared to recent days. It will be accentuated because we have had such a prolonged summer.”

Daytime temperatures will also be low, plunging in early November to just 5C (41F) in southern England and 3C (37F) in northern England and Scotland.

This summer has been the longest and hottest since records began in 1659, with both July and September the warmest on record.

Average temperatures in October were 12.9C (55.2F) and 15.4C (59.7F) in September. The figures are based on the central England temperature, which covers a triangle between Bristol, Lancashire and London.

The only two months to have been below average were February and March.

The Met Office spokesman added: “I would not be at all surprised if this is the hottest-ever year. Eight out of the 10 hottest years on record have come since 1989 and it is looking like this will beat them all.”

The increasingly hot summers and long late winters have already played havoc with nature, with leaves still on the trees in November and daffodils not coming into bloom until mid to late April.

Experts believe the extremes of weather are all part of the global warming phenomenon.

The highest temperature during October was 23C (73F) at St Peter Port on Guernsey on October 9. The month’s lowest reading was minus 1.8C at Glenlivet in Scotland overnight on October 15-16.

SW

Posted

Oh god....I lost the will to live at a certain point in that lot, but kust two things at random. I've never gone a winter without -10º on several occasions, and 40% chance of a white Christmas? They're saying there that the chances are there won't be a White Christmas. Utter publicity seeking sensationalist trash.

Posted

Have to agree OON, and perhaps I can hazard a guess to your first sentance.

No official authority has yet released anything of the sort - Point 1

There is no direct correlation between a warmer US and colder UK (although maybe it 'could' increase chances) - Point 2

As said above, a knee jerk reaction to the current northerly, which seems to have evolved into the whole of winter - Point 3

Point 4 - Well, if the METO go for something colder, then I will have more faith, but as of yet, nothing of the sort has been said.

Posted
Have to agree OON, and perhaps I can hazard a guess to your first sentance.

No official authority has yet released anything of the sort - Point 1

There is no direct correlation between a warmer US and colder UK (although maybe it 'could' increase chances) - Point 2

As said above, a knee jerk reaction to the current northerly, which seems to have evolved into the whole of winter - Point 3

Point 4 - Well, if the METO go for something colder, then I will have more faith, but as of yet, nothing of the sort has been said.

MET Office winter forecast is updated today i think

Posted
But last night the Met Office said the big chill, which is initially set to grip the nation for at least the next week, signals an end to the extraordinarily mild weather.
Makes me laugh the way tabloid journalism makes out like this current cool snap is something extraordinary, as if we are going to suffer for it, just normal/average run-of-the-mill autumn weather :nonono:

As for a colder late winter period, pretty much what alot of LRFs have been pointing at.

MET Office winter forecast is updated today i think

Should be updated in 10 mins :)

Posted
Andrew Bond, senior forecaster with MetCheck.com, said: “Traditionally, people see the winter months as November, December and January."

November seen traditionally a winter month? Since when? The argument when winter starts is whether it's the 1st December or the date of the winter solstice?

Thats a new one on me :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Ah the media - this highlights perfectly why i dont bother wasting my money buying a newspaper. Only politicians can compete at the utter rubbish they come out with.

Posted
November seen traditionally a winter month? Since when? The argument when winter starts is whether it's the 1st December or the date of the winter solstice?

Thats a new one on me :)

Hmmm ... people obviously don't realise that February is nearly always likely to be colder than November. :nonono:

Posted

Cleverly written, methinks. Detail is vague when specifically naming agencies, but when an outrageous claim is made, only the generic word 'agency' is used. Avoids libel, I suppose.

-10C is not an uncommon occurence somewhere in the British Isles every winter on numerous occasions, and I don't understand, in the face of extended agreement on the ensembles how this 'cold snap' signals the end to unseasonally warm weather with 850hPa temps looking to be around 7C, heights still 'up-for-grabs' and surface wind looking fairly low, we could quite easily have an unseasonally warm week next week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Thank you so much for printing the article here, you have saved me the bother of buying this tripe. I look forward to contradicting all those people that will now say that they have 'heard ' that it's going to be a hard winter.

I want a snowy winter just as much as anyone but I can do without the sensational claptrap. Tell me..did they print the picture of the super-imposed iceberg/polarbear on the Thames??? I'd be dissapointed if they didn't!

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
I suspect they had a picture of Princess Diana Skiing instead.

Or maybe Princess Diana dressed as a polar bear with an iceberg that resembles Michael Barrymore :nonono::)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Ah the media - this highlights perfectly why i dont bother wasting my money buying a newspaper. Only politicians can compete at the utter rubbish they come out with.

Every year we hear this sort of trash from some of the tabloids...For goodness sake we are going to have a chilly couple of days, that it! Max temps of 5c in the south, utter rubbiDoh a dumb swear filter got the better of me Winter months Nov-Jan? :nonono: It just gets worse and worse, our tabloid press has to be the worst in the world! For a headline such as that to apear in the front page of a European national daily newspaper something very out of the ordinary would have to be on the cards with 100% certainty too. Its disgusting actually when you think about all the important stuff thats going on around the world!

Whats even worse is that now I'l get the real experts opinion as I do very year around this time, Mrs Jones at no 52 and Mr kipper in the bookies telling me with utter confidence all about what a bad winter we are going to have this year! :)