Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Oh What A June

Posted

It didn't quite smash any records but it got very close.

An increadaible rainfall total of 9.4mm, this was the second lowest ever recorded lowest total since records began in 1766 with June 1923 with 4.3mm coming out the lowest. My total of 9.4mm was 53.6mm below the June average Toal. This was a far lower total than the great drought of 1976 and the yearly total is far below the yearly average than that year we have currently only had 182.9mm which is -602mm for the yearly total of 784.9mm this is my lowest ever recorded half yearly rainfall total the way things are going I will soon be able to grow my cacti outside in the garden.

Again the Mean Temperature was the second lhighest Total since records began in 1659 at 17.2c the lhighest ever total was in 1676 with a high of 18c.

So no records broken but we seem to be going through a great change in the climate here in South Derbyshire and the UK in general, it is going to be very interesting to see what the rainfall total ends up at the years close. Will it smash my all time record low of 2002 we shall have to wait and see I will keep you informed.

Paul

Posted
Again the Mean Temperature was the second lhighest Total since records began in 1659 at 17.2c the lhighest ever total was in 1676 with a high of 18c.

Paul

Just be careful in comparing your measurements for results from the Manley series, Paul; it's not a valid comparison really, B) but I do feel that the CET doesn't really give the best impression of just how warm this June was. The CET area was not the warmest part of England, for sure and this is where amateur recordings really can give you a feel for the actual warmth across the UK.

Philip Eden's June CET puts last month in the top 5% since 1659, which makes it exceptional, for me, but it wasn't the second warmest ever. If it had been, it would have been warmer than 1976 and I'd have been buying West lots of pints! The dryness, compared to the CE mean, was not exceptional, but, as some of the rainfall (perhaps most) was in the form of fairly localised, convective showers, then your measurements are valid. You obviously missed out on some of the convective activity and, as such, had an exceptionally dry June! :D

Paul

Edited by Dawlish

Posted

I'll be intrested to see how above average the mins were this month as I suspect like May they wil lbe someway above average, prehaps even more so then the maxes. Still its been quite a memorable June, a very warm June with lots of sunshine and very little in the way of rainfall which has to be worrying the water companies a lot given the teleconnections indacte constant ridging towards Scandinavia over the next 2-4 weeks.

Posted

jun_06.xls

Quite an exceptional month here too, certainly in terms of lack of rainfall, where we missed anything convective at all! Total of 7.5mm (good if you don't want to be mowing the lawn every weekend B) ), but not so clever for my customers crops :D

Very warm as well ( I compare my temperature data to the Met office Oxford 71-2000 averages), although living on a housing estate, despite the thermometer placed in the shade facing north east, i accept that the heat is amplified to a fair extent!

Check out attached spreadsheet if you wish............

WFM

Posted
I'll be intrested to see how above average the mins were this month as I suspect like May they wil lbe someway above average, prehaps even more so then the maxes.

Not in the countryside Kold, but probably in the towns/cities. My average min was actually below the 4 year average I'm now comparing to. More than likely due to clear skies leading to many mins of 10-12c after a lot of maxxes reaching 22-28c. I have been comparing my figures to Yeovilton and Larkhill all month, both countryside stations, and am happy with the outcomes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
We had 230.4mm of rain and average daily temps is 20.1C

Wow! and I thought May 2006 was bad enough here with 157.3mm.

June however was excellent. The average day temperatures go as follows:

1st - 19.5C

2nd - 22.0C

3rd - 22.7C

4th - 22.2C

5th - 22.0C

6th - 22.4C

7th - 23.5C

8th - 24.3C

9th - 24.6C

10th - 27.1C

11th - 24.5C

12th - 21.9C

13th - 21.0C

14th - 17.7C

15th - 19.8C

16th - 20.3C

17th - 23.5C

18th - 21.3C

19th - 17.6C

20th - 18.0C

21st - 16.1C

22nd - 17.2C

23rd - 17.3C

24th - 20.6C

25th - 23.7C

26th - 17.1C

27th - 17.8C

28th - 17.4C

29th - 19.9C

30th - 22.1C

The bold days are days I sat out in the sun for more than an hour. What a lovely June. July seems to have started off hotter than any other that I know of.