Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. 5C and chucking it down. 5 weeks today is the first day of summer. I am not upset to be working night shifts this weekend.
  3. Today
  4. Des Moines next in the firing line as the CAPE transfers eastwards, already there's 3x Tornado warned storms tracking NE to the SW of the city.
  5. Sunset time approaching 8:30pm now for this neck of the woods. The same as it would be in mid August.
  6. Yesterday
  7. Bit of a late night update - did the ECM 12z follow the GFS 12z with a warmer spell in FI? The control (OP doesn't run far enough) says no - the whole pattern is a few hundred miles to the west, and we're actually stuck under cool and cyclonic northerlies. To be fair, the control was amongst the coldest runs. One pattern that we do notice though is that the downward trend in temperatures after the warmup early next week has been downgraded to more of a return to average, similar to the GFS 12z ensemble. Still no sign of anything particularly warm though on the mean, but still looks a fair bit warmer than of late overall. Next is the GFS 18z. Ensemble isn't out and I'm not waiting up for it, but does it follow the 12z? The answer, much as with the ECM, is no. The pattern is not as far west as the ECM, but the high is over and to the south of the UK, which is badly positioned for any real warmth. Nothing overly cold, and should be largely dry, but I'd hesitate to call it warm. All in all, not the most inspiring late night update after the earlier optimism. I imagine the models will still go back and forth a bit around May Day and beyond as we still have a fair way to go.
  8. damianslaw Which is of course why some of the late season warm spells feel so odd. September 2023 being perhaps the weirdest major heatwave I've ever experienced. Such an incredibly warm week, one day after another, and yet simultaneously incredibly weird with sunset before 8pm, and the sun at the 'wrong' angle for that sort of heat, and yet it happened anyway. The few times we get notable warmth in October are even weirder, of course. Anyway, back to daylight hours so as not to derail things - at my location today (Saturday now) will be the first day with sunset at 8.30pm or later. Other milestones coming up soon include the first 15 hour day (Monday).
  9. WeatherArc Yeah this could have easily been a moderate or even high risk day with 15% plus hatched, but its gotta be hard for the NWS to decide what to do. Also wow to the damage below. Nice CG lighting in front of the tornado.
  10. jonboy Read the post again. I didn't say if your opinion differs to mine you're a denier. But if you're off the opinion that either a. the Earth isn't warming, or b. it is but not mainly due to human activity, then I would call that denialist. The reason being that the evidence for it is about as solid as the fact that if I were to throw a rock off a building, it would hit the ground rather than levitating up into the sky. The reason I have very little time for 'it's natural' or 'the Earth isn't warming' as an argument is because it's frankly boring. I mean you can hit me with an argument for either of those positions if you like - if it's a new one I've not heard before I'll take an interest. But the issue has been absolutely done to death - the scientific debate on whether the Earth is warming and on the cause ended decades ago for a reason. Here is just a brief, non-exhaustive list of factors that have been considered as alternative explanations for the main part of the warming, all of which have been examined and rejected: Solar activity Internal variability Milankovich cycles Ocean currents ENSO Volcanoes Urban heat islands Those issues make up easily 90% or more of the talking points I read online, probably more than that. And every one of them takes about five minutes to debunk. That's the reason there's no point debating it any more. I mean, if you have a brand new contribution on the issue I've not heard before, I'm happy to reopen the discussion. In terms of the use of the term denier, the reason it is used is in contrast to the term sceptic - you could perhaps more neutrally call them those with a non-mainstream view on climate change, but of course that doesn't roll off the tongue. The reason to use the term denier is that sceptic implies scepticism in the scientific sense - which is perfectly natural and healthy. But if scepticism goes beyond demanding evidence, double checking data, and interrogating sources and so on (all perfectly normal in science), and instead proceeds to casting aside all the data, alleging grand conspiracies without evidence, or even in the most egregious cases just making stuff up or misrepresenting the mainstream science, then it is often referred to as denial. I'm afraid that I don't think that's particularly unfair.
  11. A couple of clips from the chasers...,dang this is a biggy. bandicam 2024-04-27 00-12-09-014.mp4 bandicam 2024-04-27 00-21-12-678.mp4
  12. Penrith Snow was it not that they said people in the med would come here on holiday to cool off with the extreme heat there?
  13. Its crazy how we've had multiple violent wedges in an enhanced 10%#, significant overperformance than what all the models were showing. 67 tornado reports and counting.
  14. Ryan saying its coming towards more populated areas again.
  15. That was some footage by Brett Adair,...wow. bandicam 2024-04-26 23-55-37-247.mp4
  16. What a view from Brett Adair with multiple vortices crossing the road ahead of the chaser convoy.
  17. Chris hall also on this big wedge... Live Storm Chasing, Watch Storm Chasers in Real Time! WWW.SEVERESTUDIOS.COM Experience live storm chasing & watch top storm chasers stream dashboard video of tornados and extreme weather as it happens. Compatible with Android & iOS.
  18. Some of the tornado's today from a variety of chasers. This is crazy. A historic outbreak.
  19. Satellite tornadoes rotating round main vortex
  20. Brett Adair, near Minden Iowa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7Qg16-iKM
  1. Load more activity