Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Once again the forecasts was very wrong today. This time, for the better, as it's much sunny and drier for longer than was anticipated. I'm at the point where I may as well just ignore the forecasts. Sticking my head out the window tells me all I need to know.
  3. richie3846 Yes, damaging late frosts are happening a lot recently in C Europe. They have a huge impact. It’s been a bit crazy temperature-wise over the last 3 weeks, got up to 28°C 2 weeks ago and then the last week-10 days has been absolutely baltic. English wine is getting a lot of interest and there are some excellent wines on offer. Quite a few vineyards are being established and French champagne growers are buying up land in SE England, apparently
  4. Alderc 2.0 That’s really bad luck mate, hope you’re comfortable and not in too much pain. These things can heal quicker than expected so fingers crossed this summer isn’t a complete write-off for you
  5. Turning into a much sunnier day than was forecast.
  6. The recent thread about 19th June 2005 has inspired me to create a thread about the summer of 2005 about peoples memories and stats about the summer. June 2005 overall a warm but very contrasting month with a cool not very summery first half but a very hot second half a high of 32.4C on the 19th June being the hottest June day since 1976 and I believe the hottest June since 1976 as well there was also a tropical night 19/20th. Despite the very not second half there was also some flash flooding that night and also during Glastonbury that famously turned it into a lake July again quite a contrasting with a cool and cloudy beginning and end but a hot spell from around the 9th to the 18th parts of Scotland has there hottest day in 15 years with highs of 30C on the 11th and 12th else were in the country I think I read somewhere that some places had 4 days in a row over 30C but someone would have to confirm this. Nevertheless this hot spell was overshadowed by the truly terrible last 10 days in Durham on the 28th there was a high of only 10.9C which made it feel more like March I also think London had its coolest July day in years on the 28th with highs of only 15C. Despite this terrible weather it did bring some very interesting weather with a tornado in Birmingham. August average temperatures overall but there was some cool nights with a low of +0.8 on the night of the 8/9th. it was slightly drier then average in the south and slightly wetter then average in the north sunshine hours were also a bit above average as well. There was a very hot finale day of the month with 32.1C at Northolt London on the 31st. Overall quite an unremarkable month. If you count September as summer it was also a very warm month being the fifth warmest on record there was a short spell right at the start of the month with a high of 29.7C at Northolt London on the 4th there was also a tropical night on the night of 3/4 with a minimum of 20.4C at Guernsey which I think has to be one of the latest dates for one. overall a very respectful summer with frequent hot spells in each month the only thing that really let it down was the bad periods that brought some of the worst summer periods since the 1980s but overall I think this summer was good and very forgotten but I see why it is forgotten because it was in-between two very interesting summers that get talked about a lot.
  7. Methuselah Weren't the very worst summers also La Nina though?
  8. Today
  9. richie3846 there’s been an air frost in Benson , south Oxfordshire a number of times lately including this week. I certainly would call that the south….
  10. I personally don’t think the grape industry will flourish in time to come, assuming what our climate will be in the future is simply a fools game . Nobody knows , that’s all we know
  11. Dorsetbred It's not too shabby here now. Patches of blue round and about. Ironically, it looks cloudier down South, but I think we'll still give it a go.
  12. We already do, English wine has existed since Roman times. It's simply not as cheap or high quality as wine from elsewhere. However, I agree that winemaking will boom in the UK as summers continue to warm, winters turn milder and milder and it becomes less viable on the continent. Come the second half of the century, if the SE quadrant is transitioning to Csb which is likely by this point then it will outright be the ideal climate for many grape varieties. Methuselah Nearly, it was a neutral that wanted to be a weak Nina. Aside from that, 1911, 1975, 1976, 2018 and 2022 were all Ninas.
  13. B87 Wasn't 1995 a La Nina summer? PS: I haven't checked!
  14. In Absence of True Seasons Don't jinx it lmao Still decent enough, better than forecast...
  15. A chilly start to the morning in Buxton as the temperature overnight dropped down to -0.4'c and DCC were proactive in laying some grit down on the main roads before sunrise in anticipation of potential ice, I was hearing the 'clinks' against the car and it wasn't until the ice-warning came on the dashboard that I put two+two together. Currently at 9.9'c although it's still feeling bitterly cold out there.
  16. 78/79 And the local (private) golf course had sprinklers going almost 24/7!
  17. It will change at some point. Let's hope it's the second week of May!
  18. stainesbloke frost damage is becoming a regular problem for the continent. Mild start to spring followed by continental frosts in April. Toxic combo for the growers of delicate fruits. I'm predicting an large increase in UK wine production. We're benefitting from early spring warmth also, but our late season frosts are not as severe as the continent, and are usually well within the limits of mitigation. This April is a great example of this. We've had a cool airmass yes, but most of the south has barely had an air frost. We could do grapes with that setup.
  19. danm More chance of surviving a fall off the empire state building than that coming off but hey, we live in hope! Lol.
  20. A decent start to the day. Sunny intervals and a gentle breeze. It actually feels quite warm in the sun. Looks like it’s slowly starting to cloud over, however.
  21. Shows the level of intelligence on the subject that's out there lol.
  22. Rare nice & sunny morning which reminds you of what April used to be like! But...our gorgeous friend, Stratocumulus is shrouding the sky back to a more November feel. We have reached our sun quota for the week now. I wonder what morning next week may have a couple of hours of sun?
  23. Remember in winter showers have to survive all the way from the north Sea as they don't develop over land but now they are developing over land instead so can start much closer to us.
  24. Agree. A couple of several-day heatwaves do not make a good summer, let alone a hot one. Same as how in winter a couple of cold snaps in and otherwise mild season, don't make a proper winter (2023/24 being a prime example).
  1. Load more activity