Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Depends how one defines 'better'. Personally I'm sick of seeing the Azores HP constantly nose in from the SW, sending the NAO +ve
  3. What do people do when it's hot? Sit under a fan all day trying to keep cool, tossing and turning trying to get to sleep at night, or sitting in the shade with their sun hat and sunglasses, "enjoying" the sun while doing their best to keep in the shade? Or maybe, just maybe, some of us are not at all outdoorsy types and just want to not be sweating profusely while going about our daily activities...
  4. Absolutely stunning down by the Tweed at Crownhead Bridge opposite Dawyck Botanical Gardens:
  5. Yeah I was wondering whether to post that a bit earlier but decided not to..can't think why.
  6. Yes guys, I think improvements can be seen on ukmo and the gfs 12z, like I said a shortish unsettled blip is on the way... Should help ease any water fears, because I feel dry weather over the coming months will be a plenty. Don't need to post any charts has Pete and Karl have already covered it... Short term thundery downpours look a good call followed by a rather wet and showery weekend... Beyond that... Hints of improvement. Enjoy the potential storms folks, and a big respect and thumbs up to the mods for bringing back the laughing icon..
  7. This just gives us a flavour of what that improved extended GEFS 12z mean might represent in early May...plus the operational.
  8. Each to their own folks. You can express your preferences without criticising others!
  9. A dry and warm day with long periods of sunshine. The sunshine was hazy at times during late morning and early afternoon due to patches of Ci and Ac but the cloud cleared by mid afternoon and the late afternoon was sunny. Much breezier than yesterday. At 1700 g.m.t Temp; 19.4c Max today; 20.3c Min last night; 8.3c Grass min; 0.9c Rainfall from 0800-1700 g.m.t; 0.0 mm Sunshine today so far; 11.10 hrs Mean wind speed; 18 mph E Highest gust today; 32 mph E at 1427 g.m.t 1 okta Ci and Ac Vis; 50 km.
  10. Leeds maybe via the playoffs but looking unlikely automatically now
  11. That's odd as they quoted it in their own press release, https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2019/easter-weather. Oh well. But it certainly wasn't St James' Park in 2011 (for Easter Sunday), as according to Ogimet, its 23.9 max was exceeded by Herstmonceux, Thorney Island, Shoreham Airport and Gravesend Broadness all between 24.1 and 24.4, as well as that Solent provisional 25.3. The BBC may have confused it with Good Friday 2011, when St. James's Park was top with 26.9. I'm not trying to be difficult, honest! Lots of records broken though, this Easter!
  12. I think it will probably level off rather than drop. Nothing particularly cool is forecast although it will certainly feel considerably cooler from Thursday.
  13. My Dark Sky app just told me light rain starting soon. Checked the radar and perhaps so! temp 18.4°C
  14. Today
  15. I'm thinking that Tuesday and Wednesday nights'll both be warm...CET could even go above 9C?
  16. The 12z para also indicates some weak ridging for the south at the weekend, especially on sunday but probably no more than a suckers gap in the generally unsettled disturbed pattern which cranks up again into the following week but I would suggest the south has the best chance of drier, brighter and warmer interludes during the upcoming unsettled and much cooler phase.
  17. doesn't always mean less heat..August 2004 was very wet..but also very warm and humid.
  18. The goodness for that...The 12Z ends on a much more positive note than the 06Z did! Let's just hope that the FV3 does likewise?
  19. Extract taken from post of last week to assess progress, at the end of a beautiful Easter weekend and when some of us are looking for clues when the next warm and settled spell may appear Had been looking for some further evidence to keep backing up the quoted suggestion and to prevent any slippery slope into a late Spring cool trough gaining further traction into a more extended period. Here it is: This velocity potential (VP) 200 anomaly cross-section represents an eastward moving convectively coupled kelvin wave (CCKW) modelled to cross the Pacific during the first half of May. This matters because it provides a further boost to westerly wind bursts across the Pacific (to follow the current ongoing increased easterly trade winds close to the dateline) ensuring that upwelling of sub surface warmth can prevent any continued decline in this weak El Nino - and re-set the rossby wave pattern downstream once again back to being pre-disposed to building ridges instead of programming a persisting trough In association with the CCKW, deterministic MJO modelling has started to pick up on increased eastward progressing amplitude activity which should support a recovery in angular momentum tendency to resurrect from the the current downturn as part of a next uptick in ridging to replace the trough Unsettled for a time, yes - however its conceivable that the models might over programme the duration of the trough, but in any case, there are at least signs that the suggested improvement has some reasonable support to ensure that further fine weather has a chance of returning following the upcoming unsettled, cooler and windier spell A case though of keep watching to check this evolution stays constant and seeing how NWP responds
  20. Been around Valehouse reservoir twice in last 2 days. Probably passed your house! Yes the fire bugs are out and with the bean counters betting on a low probability of crews being required in this day and age, it's a perfect situation to have an out of control fire and not enough resources to tackle it.
  21. Happy to report the ground is looking quite normal, grass is green, foliage is green, rivers haven’t ceased to exist, birds are not falling out of the sky and there’s no shortage of water or scorched earth in this part of Hampshire following the last few days pleasant warmth.
  22. Arctic Northerly from the 6z gone, surprise surprise and replaced with a warmer southerly into the early days of may on the 12z.
  23. I'm glad to see the threat of prolonged cold dreichness reduce; a much more benign run (so far!) -- once the thunderstorms are out of the way!
  1. Load more activity