Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. This 'topic' although fun, is probably better off in the 'lounge' imo, The historic weather thread serves its own valued purpose within the Netweather forum! Just my tuppence worth....
  3. LetItSnow! Easy. 2002! (Whole year was shades of grey)
  4. A Face like Thunder cloudy morning that cleared mid afternoon with bright sunshine, but a nagging breeze capped temps a tad, misty night again.
  5. Dark Horse next time I did contemplate taking photo but ended up just eating… was hungry off to Londonford on Friday… my niece has booked Lovely tapas place in Fulham…. She lives there and we’re at Fulham for 1230 kick off Saturday… . We’re in away end… they’ve got tickets in home seats not far from us….shes United… her boyfriend is Arsenal….will be interesting Sunday back Monday….
  6. The large FedEx Distribution Centre next to the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek Itnl Airport took a direct hit from the last reported Tornado.
  7. I’d exercise caution I have noticed UKV sometimes gets carried away, general models supporting 9-10C 850hPa temps further SE not exceptional. I can’t see 30C being a possibility with the air mass, typically minimum for 30C it needs to be 12C, I recall in summer 2018 this was enough at times, but there were drought conditions, soils were very dry and of course we were not as early in year. Not just locally but what makes is even more unlikely to our near south, France also has very saturated soils, which is not usual for the time of year. I’d say we probably will be limited to 27-28C which of course is still very warm.
  8. Today
  9. NWS now issued a Tornado Emergency!!!
  10. Weather Enthusiast91 1978. I'll do one. The previous December had given hopes of a classic winter to come, perhaps even the winter before had been a "teaser winter". The year started with a great frost but it quickly fell apart and the rest of the winter was, at times, record-breakingly mild. The spring was a mixed bag and the summer was generally quite poor though parts of the country saw some very big storms from around July 29th and through the first-half of August. September provided some relief after the drab summer. The autumn was generally more shades of grey (not a clue, this was before that book! THAT is a time frame clue though). December was almost a classic but near miss synoptics and poor uppers meant we missed out and Christmas was very green and brown.
  11. Total guess and without looking at any figures or history...1978?! I was only a lad, but I remember that year...(!) Grainy pics of a World Cup many miles away...
  12. weatherobsuk Yeah,and no chasers on it
  13. Agreed. The average maximum temperature in July at my nearest official weather station is 21.4C, which is only 0.1C lower than Nottingham Watnall’s 21.5C - and yet the heatwave threshold is apparently 2 degrees higher there than it is here despite the average temperatures being virtually identical? Likewise the average maximum temperature in July in Cavendish (Suffolk) is 23.2C, which is almost 2 degrees higher than Nottingham - and yet both have the same heatwave threshold? Just doesn’t make much sense at all to me. I do suspect it’s partly a flaw of applying these thresholds to entire counties since there is often significant variation in elevation. That is certainly very apparent in counties bordering the Pennines.
  14. The cell developing near the city of Kalamazoo is particularly concerning, with a population of 72,873 now within the Tornado Warning.
  15. In my topic "What was the summer like during the year that you were born?", a couple of members and myself agree that we could do with some more fun topics on here. I wasn't too sure whether this one would be better suited to The Lounge or Historic Weather thread, but seeing as we are talking about the past and it is weather related, I think the latter would be the most appropriate. The objective of this is to describe a year by telling us what the weather was like during the seasons of that year and other members have to guess the year. Please keep it relatively recent (within the last 100 years). You can also provide up to three clues. So I shall start: An unsettled start to the year with snow in the north, followed by a great February for coldies with the month having a CET of 2.8°C. The Easter that followed was an unsettled one. Winter arrived with a vengeance around the 10th of April bringing frost and disruptive snowfall for some areas. During May, the highest ever temperature range in a day in the UK was recorded. The summer that year was mediocre at best and didn't even reach 30°C that year. All three summer months were cooler than average. Autumn was drier than average with September and October providing some last minute relief after the poor summer. There was a cold snap at the end of November, followed by a December of many cold and frosty nights. Clues: It was a World Cup year It was after Harold Wilson but before Tony Blair There were three TV channels
  16. Jake Heitman is on a T-warned cell north of Indianapolis...
  17. February 2013 a possible contender???? It was only W-ly for the first 4 days, then became N-ly and E-ly for the rest of the month (Alternating periods of cold North Sea cloud and Less-cold sunny conditions). Perhaps 7th February - 6th March 2013 would be a completely Atlantic-Free month
  18. To be fair, I do remember seeing a couple days ago the first idea of a warmer pulse of air and commenting on it, though at that time it was on the 10th, now it's probably around the 12th. Taking my usual look at the GFS (left) and ECM (right), they show a general agreement until the 13th. High pressure naturally relaxing back eastward and drawing up a very warm south-easterly flow, though with weakening pressure a risk of things going BANG and maybe more general thundery rain. How they individually handle weakening pressure by the 16th is different though. The GFS is keen to send the low into Europe and build a ridge in, possibly dry and warm weather after a thundery break. The ECM is much different and forms a major low pressure system which would risk further deluges and a wet May. Both ensembles show signs of at least weak pressure over the country by Thursday the 16th. At the moment it seems this is the signal so by day 10 it could remain quite thundery with some torrential downpours and longer spells of rain around. Either way though it's all looking warmer than average. Even if something like the ECM came off it would probably return warmer than average means due to mild nights. Things can change though. We've seen before a run pick something up and then be right so don't discount a more settled look, but to me I think unsettled, and possibly thundery, is a relatively safe look for mid-month.
  19. WillinGlossop is your phone camera faulty? You wore it out with food pics but we want them back
  20. Checking in again. A near-miss during last week's modified plume event.
  21. Broad rotation on Bryce Shelton's feed... Live Storm Chasing LIVESTORMCHASING.COM Watch live feeds as storm chasers try to see if their target verifies. Tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, and floods - we've got it all and more, live on our site and available as video on demand.
  22. I was honestly really surprised to see 2022 come up as a close analogue here
  23. Since 1993 has been resurrected a little in another thread, I thought I'd point out that I had no idea 1993 was as dull of a year as it was. I'd never assumed it was a sparkling year by any accounts, but is the 6th dullest year on record for the UK wide series, so a very gritty year indeed. summer blizzard Not a cold autumn by any stretch but it is funny how the temperature anomalies did indeed reduce by the autumn. Something which would not have been easily believed at the time you typed this comment back in May 2007!
  1. Load more activity