Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Massive range in the feels like temperature this afternoon, sheltered from the breeze, sun out feels hot, sun in freezing. sweat top on and off like a yo-yo
  3. Penrith Snow wouldn't that, by definition, be a "warm-summer Mediterranean" Csb climate under the Köppen definition?
  4. Very poor forecasting from the Met Office. It was expected to be wet and we've not had a drop. Latest update is still wrong.
  5. 9.8c to the 24th 1.9c above the 61 to 90 average 1.6c above the 81 to 10 average
  6. richie3846 ok , not going to get in a debate over it , I’ve had several air frosts in my location over the last few weeks, so yes it’s been cold but not unprecedented In Absence of True Seasons or perhaps the Seaweed will forecast better
  7. Today
  8. Penrith Snow Bit of an exaggeration- the ensembles are actually not far off average for 850 hPa temps after a warmer spell next week (that admittedly might be tempered by rain and cloud). Some people have the perception that a Greenland High always leads to cool conditions in the UK. It doesn't guarantee it at all.
  9. danm Mild, dull and unsettled for the start of May, great... Even worse than now; presumably pervading damp returning also, doubtless with surfaces never getting dry. The same old rubbish we endured until around two weeks ago.
  10. Isn't that a bit of a contradiction though given that May 2018 was notably sunny? A "won't be special" June would suggest something with a lot of cloudiness, occasional wet spells mixed with short periods of dry, sunny weather.
  11. Alderc 2.0 sorry to hear that. I'd like to see a ban from these scooters and electric bikes on shared footpaths. They are too fast, simple as. Roads are different because there are established rules, but on these shared areas, idiots are bombing straight through without taking into account walkers will not be walking in straight lines or looking for traffic.
  12. Cumbria cold pole synoptics, light northerly drift and cold uppers overhead recipe for freezing nights. Shap as low as -6.2 degrees. These are the synoptics that in winter would deliver ice days and widespread double digit minus mins. Alas its late April. Despite lots of sun out there, the air is notably cold.
  13. A pretty grim day of weather here again in the NE with a cheeky brief but heavy hail shower in Hessle.
  14. ANYWEATHER Benson is a well known frost hollow and is not representative of the south in general. I've attached night temps for Brize Norton. Same county, and much more accurately represents the general area, unlike Benson. Not an air frost in sight.
  15. Another frost here again this morning, the 3rd or 4th this week. Lovely start but it's clouding over a bit now with showers likely soon. Ravelin Maybe... e.g. UKV below shows Tuesday not bad down here (just), but chilly still further north. Then meh on the GFS temperature wise after that. From Friday the GFS has 17c fleetingly into the north east... after that it's a horror show and another cool down but I only really look at UKV these days so Tuesday is my limit. The sleet that was due here at the weekend has at least vanished but those further east still looking to get some more rain on Sunday. (Other models hopefully better but haven't looked)
  16. Another poor April overall. The first 10 days were extremely mild but very dull and damp. For a week from the 15th-21st, it was actually generally nice here, very sunny most days, one or two days had a few showers about but it was still bright. The 22nd dull and damp, the 23rd and 24th had desperately dull and depressing mornings (I've known December mornings brighter) though the afternoons were brighter - but yesterday and today desperately dull and damp again. Horrifically low light levels today given we're less than 2 months from the "summer" solstice. Looks like the rest of the month will be varying degrees of poor, with an interlude of prolonged frontal rain on Saturday night, perhaps. So I'm guessing that will be enough to make it the 10th wet month on the trot. Wonder if we have now had our last glimpse of the sun for April. Early May looks like providing a wide range of wind directions, with the common factor that they will all be cyclonic. Just what we need after the past 10 months. Late April and early May do seem to be habitually poor, almost always dull and unsettled. We have to go back to 2013 to find the last time that late April/early May was settled. In other years it might not matter so much but after 10 months of dismal, dull and damp weather it would be nice to get something a bit different. To be fair, the Met Office long range for May doesn't sound atrocious, but not that great either. Looks like an evens chance of May being the 11th consecutive wet month.
  17. Once again the forecasts was very wrong today. This time, for the better, as it's much sunny and drier for longer than was anticipated. I'm at the point where I may as well just ignore the forecasts. Sticking my head out the window tells me all I need to know.
  18. richie3846 Yes, damaging late frosts are happening a lot recently in C Europe. They have a huge impact. It’s been a bit crazy temperature-wise over the last 3 weeks, got up to 28°C 2 weeks ago and then the last week-10 days has been absolutely baltic. English wine is getting a lot of interest and there are some excellent wines on offer. Quite a few vineyards are being established and French champagne growers are buying up land in SE England, apparently
  19. Alderc 2.0 That’s really bad luck mate, hope you’re comfortable and not in too much pain. These things can heal quicker than expected so fingers crossed this summer isn’t a complete write-off for you
  20. Turning into a much sunnier day than was forecast.
  21. The recent thread about 19th June 2005 has inspired me to create a thread about the summer of 2005 about peoples memories and stats about the summer. June 2005 overall a warm but very contrasting month with a cool not very summery first half but a very hot second half a high of 32.4C on the 19th June being the hottest June day since 1976 and I believe the hottest June since 1976 as well there was also a tropical night 19/20th. Despite the very not second half there was also some flash flooding that night and also during Glastonbury that famously turned it into a lake July again quite a contrasting with a cool and cloudy beginning and end but a hot spell from around the 9th to the 18th parts of Scotland has there hottest day in 15 years with highs of 30C on the 11th and 12th else were in the country I think I read somewhere that some places had 4 days in a row over 30C but someone would have to confirm this. Nevertheless this hot spell was overshadowed by the truly terrible last 10 days in Durham on the 28th there was a high of only 10.9C which made it feel more like March I also think London had its coolest July day in years on the 28th with highs of only 15C. Despite this terrible weather it did bring some very interesting weather with a tornado in Birmingham. August average temperatures overall but there was some cool nights with a low of +0.8 on the night of the 8/9th. it was slightly drier then average in the south and slightly wetter then average in the north sunshine hours were also a bit above average as well. There was a very hot finale day of the month with 32.1C at Northolt London on the 31st. Overall quite an unremarkable month. If you count September as summer it was also a very warm month being the fifth warmest on record there was a short spell right at the start of the month with a high of 29.7C at Northolt London on the 4th there was also a tropical night on the night of 3/4 with a minimum of 20.4C at Guernsey which I think has to be one of the latest dates for one. overall a very respectful summer with frequent hot spells in each month the only thing that really let it down was the bad periods that brought some of the worst summer periods since the 1980s but overall I think this summer was good and very forgotten but I see why it is forgotten because it was in-between two very interesting summers that get talked about a lot.
  22. Methuselah Weren't the very worst summers also La Nina though?
  23. richie3846 there’s been an air frost in Benson , south Oxfordshire a number of times lately including this week. I certainly would call that the south….
  24. I personally don’t think the grape industry will flourish in time to come, assuming what our climate will be in the future is simply a fools game . Nobody knows , that’s all we know
  25. Dorsetbred It's not too shabby here now. Patches of blue round and about. Ironically, it looks cloudier down South, but I think we'll still give it a go.
  1. Load more activity