Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Frost Reports: 09th October 2004 ->

J10

This is a new feature for 2004/2005, where members report any frost that they have had overnight.

There are 2 reasons why we have done this.

1. Snow is probably not likely in many areas for a while.

2. Frost is more common than snow.

It may be also be an idea for members to keep a running total of the frost received this winter, and we may have a frost league Table.

Currently no frosts at my location.

Posted
Is it in a valley?

As cold air sinks.

I have not seen any frosts this Autumn, I have seen some nice morning condensation though.

Well it's on the South side of the North Downs and in Earlswood there is the greensand ridge so yes it is in a slight valley, so nothnig very special... I don't know why it gets so cold there...

Posted

Redhill in Surrey is in a frost hollow so the as the air cools in the surrounding area by radiating energy out to space the coldest of this is much denser and so flows down into valleys and pools there resulting in a much lower temperature at that particular point. The redhill site is also I believe on a sandy soil which has a very low specific heat capacity (the lower - the easier the heat is lost and also gained). The oceans have a very high specific heat capacity leading to a much slower change in temperature here...

Posted
Redhill in Surrey is in a frost hollow so as the air cools in the surrounding area by radiating energy out to space the coldest of this is much denser and so flows down into valleys and pools there resulting in a much lower temperature at that particular point. The redhill site is also I believe on a sandy soil which has a very low specific heat capacity (the lower - the easier the heat is lost and also gained). The oceans have a very high specific heat capacity leading to a much slower change in temperature here...

Posted

Redhill in Surrey is in a frost hollow so as the air cools in the surrounding area by radiating energy out to space the coldest of this is much denser and so flows down into valleys and pools there resulting in a much lower temperature at that particular point. The redhill site is also I believe on a sandy soil which has a very low specific heat capacity (the lower - the easier the heat is lost and also gained). The oceans have a very high specific heat capacity leading to a much slower change in temperature here...

Posted

That sound a lot like Yr Wyddgrug, it is build on mainly glacial sand deposits and coal measures, and is in a bowl shaped valley with two very narrow openings. The valley ranges from an altitude of around 110m ASL to 150m ASL and is surrounded by steep hills from 200m ASL to 350m ASL. The town is very prone to hard frosts and thick fog. Driving out of the town to the 200m mark it often warms up a couple of degrees and in foggy conditions can be completely clear up there. This morning it was 3C at 07:30 and it was 5-6C 2 miles east out of the valley at a height of about 180m ASL

Posted

Thank you Dave for explaining the reasons so well :D

Even in summer Redhill is regularly the coldest overnight recording :!:

Posted
Thank you Dave for explaining the reasons so well :D  

Even in summer Redhill is regularly the coldest overnight recording :!:

Indeed Andy i've always wondered why Redhill was a cool spot and now i know why!

:D:D:D

Posted

I have been speaking to a trusted friend this evening.

She lives in a low lying nearby village called Dilton Marsh.

There was frost on the cars yesterday morning (Oct 19th).

I had recorded a min of 5c so I would expect that village to be a little lower.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hi

yep a touch of ground frost this morning before the cloud arrived for the next weather system. Min temp down to 2.5C

Posted

A noticeable frost this morning. A temperature of 1.7C at just gone midnight. <_<