Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn arrives

Message added by Paul,

Please double-check the contents of your post before hitting submit to make sure it is model related. For general discussion about the weather this autumn, the Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps and Chat is already very active, so please head over there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

UKMO is the first operational run to turn it unsettled by days 5/6. It's an outlier at present with no other op runs showing this but it was there on the GEFS control run last night. Suppression of Atlantic HP occurring on this run.

image.thumb.png.59fdce65629c9658c9ae49643badae4e.png

The mean from the GEFS currently sits Saturday's rain somewhere between Brum and the Scottish borders

image.thumb.png.ecb818df862cd7268eefae5b3da7a2d1.png

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Fits the format. .. swerving. To sweltering!. When the operationals are stammering! The outs/ cluster lines = 500s speak!! Cape storm potential is ripe in with it..

7BD2E493-E3F6-464B-B2F9-EF1710925167.png

522A5ABA-9B48-42CB-AE72-18BD5540EB6F.png

Edited by tight isobar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

There does seem to be a new signal being picked up this morning...the UKMO perhaps being a bit hasty. GFS wants to bring back proper N blocking into FI...HP now residing where LP has been projected over the last few runs (Greenland area)

image.thumb.png.8cf498ee507db7fdb509f2928a364f1d.png

• Like 1

And back into the heat. GFS has 35C on Saturday now but interestingly the mean has nudge out about 12hrs (same on last nights 18Z) with uppers around 17-18C still into Saturday evening. 

C70E5DB5-BC76-4845-9B87-2924E0F9E6B4.thumb.jpeg.25e3c2c0ad22ab6222fe61a7f0b442d3.jpeg

Posted

Ukm has 21 over the south east on Saturday if skies are clear and winds fall light could be very hot I would imagine, gfs has 31 on Friday, so would think 32/33 possible and 35 Saturday so again could be 36/37 if conditions are right, just one run of course, another thing to note is a massive drop in temp on Sunday just around 13 degrees max temp, then the following week has pleasant warmth, let’s see what ecm has to say.

also wondering if the ukm would have thunderstorms on Saturday night

ukv has 35 and a 36 in the midlands for Friday, and has 32 on Saturday for south east

Edited by clark3r
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Arpege going for 34C for Friday. Can’t wait to see UKV, both Friday and Saturday could make interesting viewing! 

So if you take that at face value... yesterday we were predicted across the board in my location (just west of Heathrow) at 5pm yesterday 20c 

The actual temperature was 24.6c and at 5:34 it managed to get to 25.1c.

I was confused so my brother checked all local weather stations to us... all reading the same. The urban heat island effect of Heathrow this time of year is phenomenal, that mass of concrete adds 3-4c to formatted temperatures 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, Surrey said:

So if you take that at face value... yesterday we were predicted across the board in my location (just west of Heathrow) at 5pm yesterday 20c 

The actual temperature was 24.6c and at 5:34 it managed to get to 25.1c.

I was confused so my brother checked all local weather stations to us... all reading the same. The urban heat island effect of Heathrow this time of year is phenomenal, that mass of concrete adds 3-4c to formatted temperatures 

That happens even outside large urban areas. We’re a small town by the seaside and the temperature during a warm/hot spell will often exceed the forecast by 2c - 4c.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
7 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

UKV going for a new June record on Friday. 36’C.

564CF644-219B-4C85-8D9D-063E51CFB5FF.jpeg

Still looks a bit extreme compared to everything else. I reckon 32 or maybe 33c looks the best bet. 35-36c would be insane!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
4 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Still looks a bit extreme compared to everything else. I reckon 32 or maybe 33c looks the best bet. 35-36c would be insane!

Definitely right on the upper end of the models, ARPEGE reaches 33C maybe 34C, GFS not far off now either. Logically, the UKV is by far the highest resolution model we have, so in theory it should be best in forecasting min/max temperatures. The fact that the UKV has consistently been forecasting 34-36C too, to me assuming it produces the same values the day before then if we don't see temperatures of 34-36C then I think it will be a bit of a disaster from the UKV tbh.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Definitely right on the upper end of the models, ARPEGE reaches 33C maybe 34C, GFS not far off now either. Logically, the UKV is by far the highest resolution model we have, so in theory it should be best in forecasting min/max temperatures. The fact that the UKV has consistently been forecasting 34-36C too, to me assuming it produces the same values the day before then if we don't see temperatures of 34-36C then I think it will be a bit of a disaster from the UKV tbh.

GEM reaches 35’C.

GFS 33’C but is normally 2-3’C too low.

UKMO only about 31’C.

ICON 32’C.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

GEM has a high of 34c across Norfolk on Friday. 

image.thumb.png.fc13d589c37c0ea5262fb143cae5690e.png

Arpege - Around 33c

image.thumb.png.24576e4156ffdae2ed612ca01391454c.png

Still no idea regarding the weekend. The models are toying with developing a low close to our south. This could turn conditions very wet, but other outcomes are possible if the position is different come the weekend.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 6

Posted

Latest outlook for this weekend from Matt Hugo - “Troublesome transition this weekend continues.. 00z GFS ENS highlights for N Eng. Note the ‘clean’ drop in theta-e from yesterday’s 12z on Sat which is no longer present on the 00z run. Possible developing low (00z UKMO eg) over France the catalyst for delaying clearance of heat’

B5358059-FA12-43A9-A8B2-73DDB2C69B1D.jpeg

C11C0014-AC17-4EFA-9A4B-1DD563471083.jpeg

ABB33101-3F49-492B-B52D-E4C62DC09489.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Wow if you dont like rain do not take a look at the ecm!!!washout for most of england saturday sunday and maybe monday!!!

It is however closer to GFS for Saturday and keeps the hot air London to Devon with little rain in those areas before 18Z, Sunday is however an absolute drowning…..will look forward to taking off in that at Gatwick….

Posted

So with 72-96 hours to go, we're still on the cusp of some special temperatures. I think 32C/90F for Friday is pretty much in the bag. Whilst I can't see Friday going above 34/35C, Saturday is still one to watch. Most models are just a 50-100 mile correction away from something extremely hot in the south east, and GFS this morning gets there with 35C, which probably means more since GFS has always undershot heatwave temperatures in recent years. My sense is that a correction to something hotter might be a little too much to ask for on the ECM/UKMO as often models will speed things up a little at D3 and send everything east, but it's a complex situation with that low in Biscay and perhaps it's not so certain.

• Like 5

Posted

Incidentally the ec46 was much Improved weeks 3/4 compared to previous output.

this obvs takes even more confidence away from what is already a low bar for weeks 3/4 

interestingly, up until the past day or so, the Meto 30 dayer had been fairly optimistic for early July which puzzled me somewhat. Now I note it has gone to where I would have expected it to be based on the past few runs of the 46. Will they now change their wording on the back of one run??  Presumably their own model had also flipped less settled - hence the change this week. Would be typical for them to now need to flip back again! 

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

UKV sticking to its guns and keeping it hot, as in 35c+ this Friday.

fri-hot-again.png

35 right by the wash ??

methinks it may need a re calibration!

• Like 1