Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

anything good about high heat and humidity........

Definitely not!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

There is nothing to hate. It's always cold.

Not in London it isn't.

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

What 22c is hot ?

We regularly get 30c 33c even 38c, at the moment it is purrrrrrfect

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
10 hours ago, lassie23 said:

We regularly get 30c 33c even 38c, at the moment it is purrrrrrfect

No, we don’t regularly get those temperatures. It might happen a couple of times a year, for short moments. At the moment it’s drizzling and 17°C, at least the ducks are enjoying it, I suppose ?‍♂️ 

Posted
27 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

No, we don’t regularly get those temperatures. It might happen a couple of times a year, for short moments. At the moment it’s drizzling and 17°C, at least the ducks are enjoying it, I suppose ?‍♂️ 

it' sunny most of the time here

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 hours ago, lassie23 said:

it' sunny most of the time here

Lucky you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 26/06/2022 at 11:21, Snowycat said:

The cooler weather is much appreciated by myself and the other members of the household but I have to say this persistent wind is beginning to grind my gears somewhat have to say.  My poor hanging baskets are having a hard time of it . 

On 25/06/2022 at 21:44, Stewart M said:

Perfectly timed too.

The worst thing about this time of year is the very early sunrises which, when it's sunny and warm is torture for me.  At least if hot weather does appear later this summer the days will be a little shorter which might makeit slightly more bareable.

22 hours ago, markyo said:

5 weeks ish and we will be over the worst, days starting to get shorter and from current form Augusts haven't been uncomfortable for heat, fingers crossed!

Tbh I quite like windy weather and the long days and short nights, I just don’t like the heat. A lot of people on this thread seem to dislike not only the heat but the long days too.

20 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

There is nothing to hate. It's always cold.

No, it’s not...

30B14209-CBF6-4C3A-BF7A-73DD8608C585.thumb.jpeg.4407b2c6a375e005fc33d331938e3f5e.jpeg

Looking at charts like this makes me feel so lucky to live in the U.K. away from all that horrible nasty heat!

Today has been quite nice here - some rain this morning but it’s been mostly sunny since midday with lots of blue sky and white fluffy cumulus clouds. Feeling nice and fresh with a moderate westerly breeze and temp of 16°C. ?

3263C9B1-4E01-4709-87FD-3059FB2FDA51.thumb.jpeg.1c5f07f74f00a25b2ceea8a8f757c60f.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Tbh I quite like windy weather and the long days and short nights, I just don’t like the heat. A lot of people on this thread seem to dislike not only the heat but the long days too.

No, it’s not...

30B14209-CBF6-4C3A-BF7A-73DD8608C585.thumb.jpeg.4407b2c6a375e005fc33d331938e3f5e.jpeg

Looking at charts like this makes me feel so lucky to live in the U.K. away from all that horrible nasty heat!

Today has been quite nice here - some rain this morning but it’s been mostly sunny since midday with lots of blue sky and white fluffy cumulus clouds. Feeling nice and fresh with a moderate westerly breeze and temp of 16°C. ?

3263C9B1-4E01-4709-87FD-3059FB2FDA51.thumb.jpeg.1c5f07f74f00a25b2ceea8a8f757c60f.jpeg

Well yes. Quite pleasant after a spell of rain this morning. Can't really moan but it's not exactly 'warm' out there. In fact in the breeze and the sun goes behind a cloud it is rather on the chilly side. Certainly not shorts weather. Although I suppose you are in the garden in your shorts with a knotted handkerchief on your head sipping a can of 'Burnley devils broth' real ale 8% . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Well yes. Quite pleasant after a spell of rain this morning. Can't really moan but it's not exactly 'warm' out there. In fact in the breeze and the sun goes behind a cloud it is rather on the chilly side. Certainly not shorts weather. Although I suppose you are in the garden in your shorts with a knotted handkerchief on your head sipping a can of 'Burnley devils broth' real ale 8% . 

It is always shorts weather!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Agree with humidity being the problem rather than heat.

I have in various locations abroad where 85f felt quite reasonable because it was a very dry heat but the same temperature in the UK is almost always accompanied by high humidity and feels vile.

I,d be quite happy if the temp never got above 23c I find comfortable but anything higher and the humidity starts to make it uncomfortable especially working outside.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

often at this time of year, in this NW location, 6-9am tends to be sunniest/least windy and warmest part of the day

Posted

To hate heat, I have to experience it, which I haven't so far this 'Summer' with constant temperatures of around 14C.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
_125684768_epajapan.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Unrelenting temperatures break records for June as officials warn of a looming power shortage.

Lets hope we don't suffer the same fate.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 hours ago, markyo said:
_125684768_epajapan.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Unrelenting temperatures break records for June as officials warn of a looming power shortage.

Lets hope we don't suffer the same fate.

I doubt that. Tokyo averages around 30c at this time of year anyway, its a far warmer climate than the UK. Granted this is extreme, but they are used to it being hot in the summer anyway. Difference is there they actually get proper  tropical, energy sapping humidity - often above 70%, which is horrific. Not like the UK where people moan it's soupy when humidity is at 40%.

People forget that it sits at 35N - same latitude as Tunisia, desert SW of the USA, Iran, Iraq.
I think there's a misconception that it's further to the north than it is in reality.

Posted
10 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I doubt that. Tokyo averages around 30c at this time of year anyway, its a far warmer climate than the UK. Granted this is extreme, but they are used to it being hot in the summer anyway. Difference is there they actually get proper  tropical, energy sapping humidity - often above 70%, which is horrific. Not like the UK where people moan it's soupy when humidity is at 40%.

People forget that it sits at 35N - same latitude as Tunisia, desert SW of the USA, Iran, Iraq.
I think there's a misconception that it's further to the north than it is in reality.

Yes I thought it was on a similar latitude to the U.K. too, and being an island like us I thought it had a similar climate to us. 

Makes me feel so lucky to live in the U.K. where we get (mostly) comfortable temperatures in summer. Southern England averages daytime highs around 21-22C which is pretty much perfect.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes I thought it was on a similar latitude to the U.K. too, and being an island like us I thought it had a similar climate to us. 

Makes me feel so lucky to live in the U.K. where we get (mostly) comfortable temperatures in summer. Southern England averages daytime highs around 21-22C which is pretty much perfect.

Most people know I like the summer....but that would be too much for me too. Anywhere with that tropical airmass combination of heat and high humidity is grim. Soaked through with sweat in minutes. Would much rather spend my summer in Palm Springs at 42c and 10% humidity.

The average high in the SE is actually more like 23-24c in July & August, which is great. Just in the sweet spot of not too hot or cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Due to the heat and high pollen count, I have a feeling of constant painful pressure in the cartridges of my nose along with inflamed sinus and my skin is suffering from the effects of prickly heat due to the humidity.  It made sleeping last night impossible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, Katrine Basso said:

Due to the heat and high pollen count, I have a feeling of constant painful pressure in the cartridges of my nose along with inflamed sinus and my skin is suffering from the effects of prickly heat due to the humidity.  It made sleeping last night impossible.

You have my sympathies, i know exactly what you mean. Heat and pollen are awful. Sadly the out look for July looks grim now, could be a very uncomfortable month ahead, sorry for the bad news.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 29/06/2022 at 13:31, mb018538 said:

Yes, it is just within reach of typhoons (although many are undergoing extratropical transition by the time they reach the largest island), and its location to the west of the subtropical high means plenty of warm/hot humid air advected over the islands, like Florida and the Carolinas.

I suspect air conditioning is widespread in Tokyo whereas in the UK it isn't, which is why less oppressive conditions still cause health issues in the UK because there is no escape.

23 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Most people know I like the summer....but that would be too much for me too. Anywhere with that tropical airmass combination of heat and high humidity is grim. Soaked through with sweat in minutes. Would much rather spend my summer in Palm Springs at 42c and 10% humidity.

The average high in the SE is actually more like 23-24c in July & August, which is great. Just in the sweet spot of not too hot or cold.

Maybe in London, but I doubt much of the SE averages 23-24C highs in July and August. The SE is quite a large area with a range of microclimates.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
18 minutes ago, al78 said:

Maybe in London, but I doubt much of the SE averages 23-24C highs in July and August. The SE is quite a large area with a range of microclimates.

my home town of Chelmsford in Essex has an average high of 23c for both July and August

• Like 1

2 hours ago, al78 said:

Yes, it is just within reach of typhoons (although many are undergoing extratropical transition by the time they reach the largest island), and its location to the west of the subtropical high means plenty of warm/hot humid air advected over the islands, like Florida and the Carolinas.

I suspect air conditioning is widespread in Tokyo whereas in the UK it isn't, which is why less oppressive conditions still cause health issues in the UK because there is no escape.

Even down in Bournemouth now the July average is nearly 23C at 22.6C so id say 23 is pretty average for most of inland SE England. 

Posted

For the heat haters on here, consider a move to the Borders - I've had a 20.3C, a 20.6C and a 23.2C this summer so far. That's three days 20C+. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1