Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

20 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

some peoples personalities suit cold damn and miserable 

A few of those in the MO thread. I read it every day, the same posters taking great delight in painting an outlook that just doesn't reflect reality  This week would be a cold washout if their words were accurate. In reality it is often bright; sunshine and showers with temperatures bang on average, even a degree or two above, throughout. Feeling more than pleasant in the drier spells, which won't be that uncommon this week.

A typical British summer week, not perfect, but not terrible either. We're not in the Med, after all!  

Edited by Steel City Skies

Posted
2 hours ago, Steel City Skies said:

A few of those in the MO thread. I read it every day, the same posters taking great delight in painting an outlook that just doesn't reflect reality  This week would be a cold washout if their words were accurate. In reality it is often bright; sunshine and showers with temperatures bang on average, even a degree or two above, throughout. Feeling more than pleasant in the drier spells, which won't be that uncommon this week.

A typical British summer week, not perfect, but not terrible either. We're not in the Med, after all!  

exactly indeed.. i'm sure we've all had Junes that have been way worse than this. west and cold and misreable. First 3 days of the Month was decent.. Today looks fine for the most part.. Thursday and the weekend looking ok. Who knows what the second half of June will bring. So all in all. Its not been that bad and indeed we aren't in the med and to be fair. I doubt anyone could cope with the heat day after day. Im more than happy with 19/24c all summer 

Posted
On 05/06/2022 at 19:21, StretfordEnd1996 said:

I'm not sure if I'm correct on this but I seem to recall a good few pleasant and sunny Septembers in recent decades.

Perhaps again this year it won't let us down should the Summer turn out to be one to forget!

A good September in my opinion is never good enough when the summer as a whole is a poor one. It’s too late in the year to enjoy the sunshine levels, as the evenings and mornings become increasingly darker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

exactly indeed.. i'm sure we've all had Junes that have been way worse than this. west and cold and misreable. First 3 days of the Month was decent.. Today looks fine for the most part.. Thursday and the weekend looking ok. Who knows what the second half of June will bring. So all in all. Its not been that bad and indeed we aren't in the med and to be fair. I doubt anyone could cope with the heat day after day. Im more than happy with 19/24c all summer 

No I want a 1994 or 95 summer, with at least about 4-5 weeks of clear sunny days and hot weather. 

2-3 days of sunshine and a week of unsettled cloudy conditions isn’t something I want and never enjoy during high summer. 

• Like 2

Posted

you focus on the good summers and ignore the constant meh in between.Every year 2012 and 2007 get mentioned when the charts look poor and when they look great its 2006/2018/2003 and so on. we will get some warm spells this summer we often do. But to ask for 4/5 weeks of sunshine in the UK in a row. you're having a giraffe.. 

Edited by weatherguru14

Posted
13 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

you focus on the good summers and ignore the constant meh in between.Every year 2012 and 2007 get mentioned when the charts look poor and when they look great its 2006/2018/2003 and so on. we will get some warm spells this summer we often do. But to ask for 4/5 weeks of sunshine in the UK in a row. you're having a giraffe.. 

Not having a bubble mate, some summers it can happen.  The recent string of summers have been a disappointment for sunshine levels and longer periods of sunny weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
55 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Don't think anyone expects every summer to have a 2018/2003 repeat do they? Just a few nice warm spells would suffice. We know in the UK there are going to be rubbish spells in every summer.
Obviously one of the aforementioned scorching summers is the cherry on the icing on the cake, but they are still the exception rather than the rule.

On the plus side - the sun is out today for the first time in about 3 days! Makes such a difference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
2 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

With the tendency for blocked weather patterns these days probably more likely than you think. Unfortunately the blocks can form in places to stick the UK under a trough for weeks as well, as in 2007, 2012.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

It is really rather depressing in the UK.  52 weeks in a year and it's too much to ask for 4 of those to be warm.  Think I need to move to Spain

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Brilliant to see another day with not a hint of 25C as we continue moving through the clock.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Brilliant to see another day with not a hint of 25C as we continue moving through the clock.

I would like a bit more warmth, but I'm certainly not disappointed that we're burning through the days when excessive heat is a risk.

• Like 2

Posted

2022 has been very benign so far. It has been like a combination of 2012 and 2014 I have found. 
January and March were mild, dry and sunny like 2012 whilst February (mild/wet), April (average) and May (warm/dull) like 2014. 

Edited by TheOgre

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

Eye spy a warm spell coming up hopefully into the mid twenties for next weekend

Screenshot_20220610-103050.png

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, Row w said:

Eye spy a warm spell coming up hopefully into the mid twenties for next weekend

Screenshot_20220610-103050.png

Yep, warmup gaining traction now!  Just hope it's no too hot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
On 08/06/2022 at 03:40, summer blizzard said:

All changed now, though. Quite nice to see something warmer on the horizon

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, RabbitEars said:

So what's the surface weather likely to look like in this scenario.  When we have 850s showing the opposite we hope for wintery snowy conditions and sometimes...we get them.

Is this muggy, sultry, humid and possibly thundery or is this wall to wall blue skies and factor 100 sunscreen? Either way I suspect its fans/aircon (which we can't afford the electricity to run) and plenty of water to drink! 

Timing is about as good as you can get so sunshine should not be at a premium however the surface flow is out of the south rather than south east (i.e. it's a proper Spanish plume) and so humidity is likely to be high.

13 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

All changed now, though. Quite nice to see something warmer on the horizon

Yes. It's like waking up and finding out your taking a trip to hellfire. 

That said it is summer so it's not a shock and we will at least have overcome one sixth of summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
14 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Yes. It's like waking up and finding out your taking a trip to hellfire. 

That said it is summer so it's not a shock and we will at least have overcome one sixth of summer.

Hellfire?! Has the UK been moved to Death Valley or The Sahara?
Nothing too abnormal showing, a few seasonal, very warm days. Then likely followed by an Atlantic arctic plunge of grey, dreary, drizzly boredom to remind everyone it’s the UK. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Nothing too abnormal showing, a few seasonal, very warm days. Then likely followed by an Atlantic arctic plunge of grey, dreary, drizzly boredom to remind everyone it’s the UK. 

So much panic over a bit of heat..!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Exactly!

Personally I think its more hellish to have below average temps and wet and unseasonably windy weather at this time of year along with no interesting thundery type weather.

For instance I actually like unsettled and cool windy weather but at the right time of year (autumn for example). Plus windy weather causes less issues at the right time of year then if they occur during the summer as there are no leafs on the trees causing more drag and damage potential.

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, MP-R said:

So much panic over a bit of heat..!

I think it's just that the 'heat spikes' in recent summers have been found to be rather unpleasant for many (me included), albeit they have been short lived!  Summer 2018 was consistently warm/hot until August but was always pleasant as opposed to oppressive.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
10 minutes ago, Don said:

I think it's just that the 'heat spikes' in recent summers have been found to be rather unpleasant for many (me included), albeit they have been short lived!  Summer 2018 was consistently warm/hot until August but was always pleasant as opposed to oppressive.

I think 2018 was unusual out of the period of years we are in now as most hot spells tend to be humid and hot as opposed to how it used to be a lot more in the past with longer lasting settled but dry type heat weather.

The very warm to hot long spell we had that year was an unusual dry heat type setup which we hardly ever get these day's. Personally though I am happy about this because although the more hot and humid weather is more unpleasant for personal comfort, It's still worth going through this discomfort to get the more thundery type weather that comes with the humid kind of heat.

I prefer the hazy thundery look to the sky and clouds that come with humid heat as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Now this is what June skies are all about!

5146434A-5855-4E00-91E6-4C7F824FC1B1.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, Don said:

Summer 2018 became oppressive come mid-July but yes it was a nice dry heat summer beforehand. Worth saying summer 06 was impressively not humid and also July 13.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

The heat spikes are more of a shock to the system as they seem to come from nowhere these days, not a more gradual buildup like in decades past. Would like more consistency with summer weather, at least 2018 was a ‘proper’ summer and largely comfortable for most

• Like 1