Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Early Summer and Beyond

21 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

The mean hardly dips below average. Are you the most negative man on the planet?

Nope, just saying what I see which a slippery slope and a mean proper up by a handful of hot outliers that goes against the majority of other output.

After all it’s the UK, the whether is awful 9-11months per year. Would rather be surprised if it turns out better than expected than the other way around.

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Northern blocking galore on the charts this morning!!had it been winter this place would be running riot!!

Think we all knew once these charts started appearing a few days ago they’d end up being true. Same as always. I just can’t wait for these absolute belters in a weeks time.

image.thumb.png.5eea726135b681d152b53e0f3f02d35e.png

image.thumb.png.67e714d95ac1c08a053ef3a2382b6238.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Think we all knew once these charts started appearing a few days ago they’d end up being true. Same as always. I just can’t wait for these absolute belters in a weeks time.

image.thumb.png.5eea726135b681d152b53e0f3f02d35e.png

image.thumb.png.67e714d95ac1c08a053ef3a2382b6238.png

Such frustration cos if the same thing happened in winter it just wouldnt happen and everything end up flat as a pancake!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
10 hours ago, Alderc said:

Slippery downward slope on the ECM ensembles, majority of members support the northwesterly regression of high pressure and the mean is propped up just a handful of much warmer ensembles.

Start of June could end up being a car crash…

D025807A-D876-46B4-9B00-EED7D2AE0D26.thumb.jpeg.6c7522b3ce69b40ae5544bebe4f0dec9.jpeg

I booked the first two weeks of June as leave, so that figures...

Posted

Remember all those hot charts appearing for the jubilee last week?

image.thumb.png.01f22bc086fbb173855ad8d5f2f3de08.png

Nah, me either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

For those of you losing your minds over a brief cooler spell... 

Edited by Earthshine
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS0z goes full summer 07 for days 10-16, surface troughs and southerly tracking.

Out to 10 days though and no major change from recent days. Becoming somewhat cool and showery but not especially cyclonic.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
14 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

And what with it following so soon after the 'coldest April for many a year', the usual few kilo tonnes of salt might come in useful?

• Like 6

Posted

As long as this Jubilee isn't akin to the horror show that was the one in 2012 I'm ok with it. We're going camping that weekend near Winchester so fingers crossed! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sheikhy said:

Northern blocking galore on the charts this morning!!had it been winter this place would be running riot!!

Yup, looking more and more certain like the jubilee curse will strike yet again. Surely it can’t rival 2012, was stood on the Thames, 12c with a howling wind up the rive 

As usual we’ll be doing well to get away 10-14days of this tosh, once the patterns in it’s usually tough to budge, yes that sounds negative but it’s pretty accurate I reckon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

And what with it following so soon after the 'coldest April for many a year', the usual few kilo tonnes of salt might come in useful?

Well after that "notably cold start to May" I've got a monthly subscription!

Edited by Earthshine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, Earthshine said:

"brief"?..... and the MJO is orbiting rapidly through several phases so im not sure how effective that signal will be for us.

But theres nothing "brief" about the cooling down ... it arrives on Sunday and lasts for at least a week

814day.03.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Hmm I dunno, I'm still not convinced at this stage yet - I still think pressure will build in from SW.

h500slp.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

The models are clearly a long way from settling on a reliable setup for early June - cool and changeable from the 0z ops, or maybe something a good deal better could be on…
D648733B-0213-4903-85F1-095DA32F97DA.thumb.png.23d48d7c25bab3a47e081dfdd9c8265c.png E01E5A27-F482-4610-8995-6801C0A51684.thumb.png.b0380198b798d88cb7da9c7efd800a86.png

6z GFS operational run stalls the low in the western Atlantic and pumps up the heights over the UK and Ireland for day 10.

1030mb high and set fair just in time for the long bank holiday. All very marginal and clearly still a great deal to play for going into the first weekend of June.

Edited by Cambrian
  • Like 5

Posted

Not too concerned yet by some of the less impressive models. The key is we still have High pressure upper cores not too far away and nothing to stop that from sinking back southwards as time goes along, as we so often see anyways.

If we do get some northern blocking I'd rather it from the N/NW than what the GFS is trying to do, as at least we'd be reasonably sunny if just on the cool side (plus showers always possible) whilst that GFS 06z extended FI screams cloudy and dull, at least for the SE half of the UK, maybe better further NW/W.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 hours ago, MATTWOLVES said:

We have a whole season of Summer to get through just yet,and some current signals of Northern Blocking will not shape the rest of the season in any shape or form!

Thats not strictly true though is it.... hi Matt...
June 2012 and 2007 were very cool and wet, they started "summer" with northern blocking, and that early block prevailed on and off throughout most of the Summer. In fact, a cursory view through the historic charts of the bottom 13 Summers (using Weather Historys "Manchester Summer Index) nearly all started June with northern blocking or as in a couple of cases, blocking to our near West.
We get "good" and "bad" summers because of repeating patterns, and northern blocking establishing in early June DOES or CAN shape the rest of the season as our poorest summers can testify.

• Like 4

Posted
5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

As long as this Jubilee isn't akin to the horror show that was the one in 2012 I'm ok with it. We're going camping that weekend near Winchester so fingers crossed! 

If your coming here your doomed LOL!!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

June 2012 and 2007 were very cool and wet, they started "summer" with northern blocking, and that early block prevailed on and off throughout most of the Summer. In fact, a cursory view through the historic charts of the bottom 13 Summers (using Weather Historys "Manchester Summer Index) nearly all started June with northern blocking or as in a couple of cases, blocking to our near West.
We get "good" and "bad" summers because of repeating patterns, and northern blocking establishing in early June DOES or CAN shape the rest of the season as our poorest summers can testify.

Posted
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

Well pointed out. Patterns can set up early in June and get stuck for weeks or months.
I’m not expecting this summer to be anything like as bad as those though. I think average to better than average. As ever - nobody actually knows. You just have to break it down into chunks, and for the next 10-14 days it looks like northern blocking. After that, we will see where the land lies. As I always say, much easier to get some warmth in summer than cold in winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

Please don't say that and jinx it 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Well pointed out. Patterns can set up early in June and get stuck for weeks or months.
I’m not expecting this summer to be anything like as bad as those though. I think average to better than average. As ever - nobody actually knows. You just have to break it down into chunks, and for the next 10-14 days it looks like northern blocking. After that, we will see where the land lies. As I always say, much easier to get some warmth in summer than cold in winter.

agreed.... im sure there were summers with early NB that changed, off the top of my head ...83? ... so im not suggesting that a NB themed start to summer automatically writes off the whole summer... but it has done.

• Like 2