Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2022 Chat

Message added by Paul,

Want to have a moan about the weather? Please head over to the Spring / Summer weather moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

I think we will all be paying double by the end of the year,fortunately i have a log burner in the back room so will be out collecting wood!

Log burner!.....heaven. Used to have one years ago, still miss it, best form of heat going.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Atmogenic said:

absolutely freezing out there today, i'm so glad i'm going to Dubai in a few days time to finally feel proper warmth again and not this ridiculous cold weather. 

Do you live on the top of Ben Nevis or somethng,beause it was nowhere near FREEZING,over dramatic or what.

• Like 2

Posted

It was jolly chilly out and about today. Bit of a breeze. The odd burst of sunshine and in the shelter a bit of warmth. Lovely to see the daffodils giving colour to the post winter gloom. Everything is ready to burst in to life. So despite the unsavoury activity to the East we can open our arms to the sunshine and light getting ever closer. Love it! 

• Like 2

Posted
On 03/03/2022 at 20:41, damianslaw said:

Mmm disagree, March can pack a cold wintry punch despite the warming sunshine and lengthening days just like September can still produce notable heat. There is a shift at the tail end I agree, when the clocks go forward and the sun does start to have some significant strength to it, but its not until April I feel the chances of cold begin to ebb away firmly. Northerlies in March in particular pack the same cold punch as in the depths of winter, the arctic takes a long time to heat up. Easterlies fade in strength through the month but can still bring significant cold. Cyclonic low pressure overhead in March feels every bit as cold as in January.

Yes that’s true, but once we head past St Paddy’s Day, I look more forward to warmer days, and don’t really want any snowfall beyond that point. The first two weeks of March is fine, but anything beyond that is tiresome. I found the early spring of 2018 quite trying, because the cold lingered a bit, even into April it was still cold at times before the warm up. Same goes for 2013.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes that’s true, but once we head past St Paddy’s Day, I look more forward to warmer days, and don’t really want any snowfall beyond that point. The first two weeks of March is fine, but anything beyond that is tiresome. I found the early spring of 2018 quite trying, because the cold lingered a bit, even into April it was still cold at times before the warm up. Same goes for 2013.

March cold I don't mind, but by April cold can go. Last year was hard going very frosty April and a cold wet May.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
16 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes the trees round here in 2013 were bare well into May because all 3 spring months were chillier than normal. 2018 wasn't as bad though as after the "mini beast" in mid March the rest of the spring was snowless and not very cold here. May was especially fantastic with some very warm days and maybe a sign of what was to come for the summer. Spring growth last spring was rather stunted though probably because of the notably cold April.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
7 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

March cold I don't mind, but by April cold can go. Last year was hard going very frosty April and a cold wet May.

2021 was depressing all the way through to be honest. It never really warmed up properly. The sunny April was nice, but still cold even during the daytime. May, which usually shows us a decent warm sunny spell, failed miserably and we were left with a cold dull windy month. Only the last week had a few warm sunny days.

The first half of June and mid to late July was decent with two hot spells. August was pitiful, and at times fairly chilly, and very cloudy. 

September was fairly pleasant. Hopefully, we don’t get a repeat of summer 2021, which in my opinion was the most boring for many years.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes the trees round here in 2013 were bare well into May because all 3 spring months were chillier than normal. 2018 wasn't as bad though as after the "mini beast" in mid March the rest of the spring was snowless and not very cold here. May was especially fantastic with some very warm days and maybe a sign of what was to come for the summer. Spring growth last spring was rather stunted though probably because of the notably cold April.

Late April 2018 was where it became more much pleasant, but the first part of the month was more or less a continuation of the chilly weather of March 2018.

Granted, May 2018 was a perfect month and very sunny. Also a dry heat, and it lead into a very warm June, July and first part of August. 

We’ve not had a better spell of sunny months since. 

April-early June 2020 was nice enough though, and will be memorable because of the lockdown and how nice the weather was. 

Posted

Had some snow flurries today, which I wasn't expecting. Five nights out of five have been below zero so far in March - the same as the whole of February.

Posted

Talk about winter ( in snow terms) finally arriving in March in recent years is largely inaccurate, at least for my area. Last time I saw snow in March was 2018 and there have been a few snowless Marches recently. 2017, 2019, 2020 and 2021 were all snowless. Going further back,  I don't recall snow during  March 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 nor 2014 as well.

Snow wise, despite the how many mild Februarys there have been recently, it still has been snowier than March. At least for my location, anyway. 

Posted

Looks like back to mild,wet and windy again,hate it.

Where is that poster who said we needed all that  rain we had recently as it was going to turn very dry and settled in the South especially for the spring.

Not posted since you said that in the MAD threat I wont mention your name

• Like 1

Posted

Another gloriously sunny day here again. The third day in a row of  what looks like being dawn to dusk sunshine and blue sky.

Starting out with a thick frost a few degrees below zero and ending up around 10C and light winds.

The last two weeks has actually been pretty good (after 4 weeks of gales, storms and frequent rain before that)  with most days dry and even the rain days only running a little damp. And more importantly we've had a lot more brightness and sunshine after what has been a fairly gloomy winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Nice to see the sun out this morning after having a few days of dull, cloudy, wet conditions. Still a bit chilly but it should feel a little warmer in sunshine and out of wind later this morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
16 hours ago, SLEETY said:

Do you live on the top of Ben Nevis or somethng,beause it was nowhere near FREEZING,over dramatic or what.

Did you know that other people have different feels to different temperatures? no need to be a d***. I'm sure you'll be complaining when the temperatures are in the 30s whilst I would be loving it.

Also to added it was overcast, chilling wind and not one bit of sunshine yesterday.

Edited by Atmogenic
added more text
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Talk about winter ( in snow terms) finally arriving in March in recent years is largely inaccurate, at least for my area. Last time I saw snow in March was 2018 and there have been a few snowless Marches recently. 2017, 2019, 2020 and 2021 were all snowless. Going further back,  I don't recall snow during  March 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 nor 2014 as well.

Snow wise, despite the how many mild Februarys there have been recently, it still has been snowier than March. At least for my location, anyway. 

Yes exactly. I’ve thought this too. There are some quite frankly bizarre expectations for March on this forum. While still possible, I don’t expect wintry weather in March like I do in the winter months. I still expect December to be more wintry simply due to ease of more synoptic situations delivering.

There also aren’t many wintry marches at all that follow unwintry winters. 

However, I also don’t expect a sudden switch to settled springlike conditions either. I find March to be quite topsy turvy, and often like October but in reverse, and of course colder.

• Like 2

Posted

March statistically only just a little milder than December and on many occasion has been colder than December. Indeed I think minima is equal if not colder than December. There is no flick of a switch to warm on 1 March..I always expect some cold weather in March despite the warming sun.

March has a wintry appearance still, bare trees, brown colours.. yes daffodils are out.. but the green arrives in April. 

Patience is a virtue..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
1 hour ago, Atmogenic said:

Did you know that other people have different feels to different temperatures? no need to be a d***. I'm sure you'll be complaining when the temperatures are in the 30s whilst I would be loving it.

Also to added it was overcast, chilling wind and not one bit of sunshine yesterday.

Exactly this, it's been cold here in Devon too, yesterday I could the warmth of the sun out of the breeze, today, no sun and it is so cold!  As another poster mentioned, March cold i can deal with but April I'm really hoping for a warm sunny one after the cold one we had last year, lets face it that we need it to boost the moral of late 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

There is a reason why March can be fickle, it's the changeover month ,,yes it can be two faced as well, the old saying March in like a lion and out like a Lamb ,bodes true for most March's. .

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Atmogenic said:

Just trying to put what you think is freezing  cold weather into  perspective.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/mb-38_metric_e.html

Max temps of minus 14c in Winnipeg next week and lows of minus 25c now thats FREEZING

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
32 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Just trying to put what you think is freezing  cold weather into  perspective.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/mb-38_metric_e.html

Max temps of minus 14c in Winnipeg next week and lows of minus 25c now thats FREEZING

And I can put in perspective what I say is cold, those temperature u just gave examples to are different countries with different climates, that's like comparing our temperature to Siberia or Death valley when it comes to heat.

Posted

Whilst it was chilly late yesterday afternoon, it was ideal for a brisk walk!

Posted
5 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Exactly this, it's been cold here in Devon too, yesterday I could the warmth of the sun out of the breeze, today, no sun and it is so cold!  As another poster mentioned, March cold i can deal with but April I'm really hoping for a warm sunny one after the cold one we had last year, lets face it that we need it to boost the moral of late 

I don't care what anyone says, it has been cold recently, and even if February 2022 was mild, there were still some chilly days. The period during Eunice was fairly cold. 

Even last weekend, although nice and sunny with clear skies, was pretty cold in the wind and out of the sunshine. 

To some, anything above 5c might feel mild, but I could argue that when conditions are damp or very windy temps in the 6-12c bracket can still feel cold. 

Once we hit the mid teens, I feel more comfortable, and even then I still need a light jacket or fleece. 

1 hour ago, Don said:

Whilst it was chilly late yesterday afternoon, it was ideal for a brisk walk!

Hmm, not where i was. London was overcast and rainy during the afternoon. That being said, we had it good last Saturday and Sunday.

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
Just now, Sunny76 said:

I don't care what anyone says, it has been cold recently, and even if February 2022 was mild, there were still some chilly days. The period during Eunice was fairly cold. 

Even last weekend, although nice and sunny with clear skies, was pretty cold in the wind and out of the sunshine. 

To some, anything above 5c might feel mild, but I could argue that when conditions are damp or very windy temps in the 6-12c bracket can still feel cold. 

Once we hit the mid teens, I feel more comfortable, and even then I still need a light jacket or fleece. 

I agree, anything below 15c feels cold to me but I am a southerner...Though with sun and no wind and 13c can feel ok, which was here yesterday.  Snap... I feel the cold terrible so you'll find me with a jumper or light cardigan on with anything below 18c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Roll on Spring warmth. This winter has been a write off for most. Not had even a single flake of snow. I’ve never liked cold springs, this is the time of year for it to get warmer. 

• Like 2