Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2022 Chat

Message added by Paul,

Want to have a moan about the weather? Please head over to the Spring / Summer weather moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

I think the one word I would use to describe this spring is "mild". Not warm, but mild.

The opposite would describe spring here so far....cool not cold but cool..nothing in the way of very cold weather but nothing in the way of warm weather either..have only reached 20c once and that was back on April 8th..each month so far have been below average but not by a huge margin..one notable thing however is the lack of sunshine..been a cloudy spring thus far..this theme looks to set continue for the next 10-14 days 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

On light observation it seems North America has had a cool and mostly quiet Spring. Probably why this side of the pond has seen so much blocking; not much to livern up the jetstream. 

From a selfish point of view, I prefer a quiet and average North America because it seems when there's extremes in such part of the world, the UK just ends up under The Atlantic Train of Drabity. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 15/05/2022 at 15:44, summer blizzard said:

Yes, it’s similar to a high CET winter month in that it may feel unexceptional but the mild nights push the CET well above average.

Yes high pressure overhead would give higher maxima but much cooler minima. CET values can be very misleading.. you could have a day with maxima 25 degrees and a min of 5 degrees which gives a mean of 15 degrees, and a day with a max of 18 degrees and a min of 13 degrees giving 15.5 degrees. Most of the day could be below 16 degrees, yet the 25 degree day might see a time period 10am to 10pm above 16 degrees.. I know I'd rate the 25 degree day much warmer overall.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
20 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes high pressure overhead would give higher maxima but much cooler minima. CET values can be very misleading.. you could have a day with maxima 25 degrees and a min of 5 degrees which gives a mean of 15 degrees, and a day with a max of 18 degrees and a min of 13 degrees giving 15.5 degrees. Most of the day could be below 16 degrees, yet the 25 degree day might see a time period 10am to 10pm above 16 degrees.. I know I'd rate the 25 degree day much warmer overall.. 

Indeed, those sorts of days (25/5) are what I would call classic May weather. The more settled Mays tend to produce quite a few of these. The start and end of May 1997 (got that year on my mind thanks to the current historical weather thread), for instance, was quite like that.

"Have your cake and eat it" type days. Warm and sunny during the hours when you want it to be warm, but no stifling humid nights. By contrast, yesterday (Monday) was one of the worst types of days you can get in May. Fairly low maximum, high minimum, low cloud for much of the day, and spells of intermittent light to moderate rain. Typical cyclonic SW-ly weather, in other words.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
21 hours ago, Bradley in Kent said:

On light observation it seems North America has had a cool and mostly quiet Spring. Probably why this side of the pond has seen so much blocking; not much to livern up the jetstream. 

From a selfish point of view, I prefer a quiet and average North America because it seems when there's extremes in such part of the world, the UK just ends up under The Atlantic Train of Drabity. 

Certainly in the winter months yes. Is there also a link between North American and UK weather in the summer? I have noticed patterns across Europe in the summer though. I get the impression that recent years have featured what seems to be an exaggerated SWly gradient (more so than climatology) across Europe, meaning excessive heat to the south and east of Europe and mostly cloudy and damp weather (punctuated by intense but short-lived heatwaves) to the northwest, including most of the UK (though I get the impression N Scotland is having an increased tendency to have cool but drier summers).

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Some biblical rainfall out there tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Very loud thunderstorms now crossing the Horsham district. As usual timed when I want to sleep.

Posted

The met office is really struggling with this current set up. The amount of uncertainty even at a day ahead is very high. Yesterday they were talking of rain over the continent potentially clipping the south east. On their latest radar forecast, they now have the rain as far over as the south west. I'll be surprised if even the current imagery is anything like what we actually get tomorrow. Yet again, it's a nowcast situation. What we seem to be lacking with forecasts is some sort of probability. When we look at the forecasts that are produced by various institutions, they aren't actually telling us if it's guesswork or more likely to actually happen. 

Exciting sky action last night though, I saw that a large chunk of the country enjoyed the line of thundery activity, very widespread for a change.

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Spotted horsehoe vortex clouds in the skies on two consecutive days around Irlam this week

YNzNibg.jpge3L3y5s.jpgz1iXSnQ.jpg

Never even knew they existed! What makes them?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

A lot of GFS runs going for around 27 degrees for holiday week (30th May to 3rd June) deep FI, but never known charts at that range be so consistantly showing same weather

Posted
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

A lot of GFS runs going for around 27 degrees for holiday week (30th May to 3rd June) deep FI, but never known charts at that range be so consistantly showing same weather

They did this with the nice weather we were meant to have last week! But didn't materalise ... I'm not a believer

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I can only hope it'll be that hot around the bank holiday weekend, finally get the pool out in the garden 

Posted
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

42C today in Spain. Is that a mainland record for May? I thought the record was 41C

Must be very close if not the all time record for May?  All that early heat could impact us here in the UK before long! 

• Like 2

Posted

Took a punt to head to Swanage for the day. Much better than the anticipated cloudy conditions with plenty of warm hazy sunshine.

So many people looking for dream charts 10+ days away that never materialise and missing very enjoyable Spring weather under their noses.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
1 hour ago, Andy Bown said:

Took a punt to head to Swanage for the day. Much better than the anticipated cloudy conditions with plenty of warm hazy sunshine.

So many people looking for dream charts 10+ days away that never materialise and missing very enjoyable Spring weather under their noses.

Yep I often find I get carried away with looking at the charts when in fact despite not particularly spectacular synoptics it's been a very pleasant spring here for the most part.  Although I am craving another spell of cloudless skies like we had back in March.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

42C today in Spain. Is that a mainland record for May? I thought the record was 41C

Nope it’s 45C was set a few years back.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
2 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

So true,and occasional guilty as charged myself.

Looking at synoptic set ups and assuming they don't appear springlike or summerlike is often a mistake this time of year.

An uninspiring synoptic pattern can often produce warm sunny days in the Spring and Hot sunny days in the summer.

Unless you have a deep LP barraling over our locale,there is every chance of usable weather from April to October.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Surprisingly nice day today in the South East, with plenty of sunshine. Forecast for about the entire week had today down as being dull and yet it turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Maybe they're not as lucky as you and don't live in the sunny south thus are looking for clear sunny days on charts, was very cloudy in parts further north today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

If perfection  was today ,Weather Wise ,I would keep this day forever! Hot sun ,cool breeze and some cloud...What could be better....I wish everyday of the year would be this perfect ☺☺☺☺

Posted

Still 9 days left of Spring.. but overall nothing especially poor on the horizon it seems which will cap off what looks like being a dry very mild albeit quite cloudy at times Spring. Can't really complain. Its been noteworthy for perhaps being very unnoteworthy so far. 

• Like 1

Posted

watching the last 2 bbc weekly outlooks. Helen Willets mentioned  last night how temperatures were going to be in the early to mid twenties in a few days time for some locations. Now no mention of it this evening..

That kinda forecast gives people watching it, the wrong impression like last week with the metoffice  when warm to hot spells was used.. Its like this every year.. I don't wish to hear what might happen with a super duper amazing heat and outlook. when it doesn't occur just sounds stupid. 

• Like 1