Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted

Another snowless Winter beckons for the SE its unbelievable we can hardly get one decent long fetch Easterly in Winter anymore.

You could count on one hand how many Easterlies we have has since late 80s.

March has delivered more for our region in the last decade at least where I live

Utterly woeful Winter again for snow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.
12 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Another snowless Winter beckons for the SE its unbelievable we can hardly get one decent long fetch Easterly in Winter anymore.

March has delivered more for our region in the last decade at least where I live

I don't know about that.

Can't see a month ahead with any clarity.

A few are seeing something completely less discouraging.

Jury is still very much out.

So no write offs just yet thank you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.

Even if no snow on the horizon anything is an improvement on this boring chilly cloud fest we have now. Featureless grey skies and barely fluctuating temperatures really is the worst IMO and seems to have become the default weather here since last summer with regular extended periods of overcast boring weather. Metoffice app showing zero sun all week, just endless cloud so any pattern change is welcome even if no snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
1 hour ago, NYCSnow said:

Even if no snow on the horizon anything is an improvement on this boring chilly cloud fest we have now. Featureless grey skies and barely fluctuating temperatures really is the worst IMO and seems to have become the default weather here since last summer with regular extended periods of overcast boring weather. Metoffice app showing zero sun all week, just endless cloud so any pattern change is welcome even if no snow.

if only the high pressure kept the clear skies it gave us went it first arrived 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.
2 hours ago, Atmogenic said:

if only the high pressure kept the clear skies it gave us went it first arrived 

Yeah the frosts were nice, along with the sunshine. Has made January an improvement on December but that’s really not saying much

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
16 minutes ago, NYCSnow said:

Yeah the frosts were nice, along with the sunshine. Has made January an improvement on December but that’s really not saying much

exactly, I thought nature was giving us the sunshine we didn't have in december but it seems she has a big hatred towards us for a long time now which some of us doesn't deserve 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Frost is a terrible substitute for snow, like ordering freshly squeezed pineapple juice and getting concentrate instead

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
11 hours ago, SLEETY said:

Cant argue with that, its a snoozefest so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
11 hours ago, SLEETY said:

I take it you didn't get much last February?...a bit of an over exaggeration about the easterlies since late 80's if you don't mind me saying: 2002 and 2003 had a very brief day or so, 2009/10 had a few spells, Dec 2010 (more of a GH episode), 2012 here in the east (not sure if you were effected in Sussex), 2013 easterlies of sorts in Jan and Feb, Feb/Mar 2018 and last Feb, so never mind the 90's! unless you have a lot of fingers  But yes they are a rare beast particularly in January - the last time I experienced snow on the ground in this month was 2013 which really is poor.

• Like 1

Posted
23 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

My friend sent me this of a snow squall line from Karelia, they're even getting snow squall lines and we just get cloud
image.thumb.png.3cc6d91ea120c31136c255294d1e4846.png

call me an idiot but i just had to look that up..call me old fashioned but i thought that was Prussia lol , well least they had something ,my daughter lives in Berlin and tbh ,she said i promise dad  i send photos if it snows ,which she has, but its next to nothing for there ,swath of nothingness is where are  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
6 minutes ago, TN9 said:

call me an idiot but i just had to look that up..call me old fashioned but i thought that was Prussia lol , well least they had something ,my daughter lives in Berlin and tbh ,she said i promise dad  i send photos if it snows ,which she has, but its next to nothing for there ,swath of nothingness is where are  

Lol, take away the P from Prussia and you get the county Karelia is in, it's essentially on the tip of Scandinavia but the Russian part. They usually have pretty dry Winter's but when it snows boy does it snow. My friend from there was having to shovel snow every couple hours. If that isn't enough the local lake is still frozen over in March but with a very thin layer of ice usually so it's deadly to go anywhere near it. Over in Russia its a long Winter and depending where you are a strong storm season.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, TN9 said:

Berlin ..they have not had that much ..colder and a covering a few times ..nothing major ..for there i guess ,for us ide bank that call it a winter ..then we can move on 

IMG-20220120-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20220120-WA0011.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Lol, take away the P from Prussia and you get the county Karelia is in, it's essentially on the tip of Scandinavia but the Russian part. They usually have pretty dry Winter's but when it snows boy does it snow. My friend from there was having to shovel snow every couple hours. If that isn't enough the local lake is still frozen over in March but with a very thin layer of ice usually so it's deadly to go anywhere near it. Over in Russia its a long Winter and depending where you are a strong storm season.

i can only imagine ,i cant (even though i like a bit of snow ) could handle day in day out of frigid temps ,when you look at cold places on webcams etc ,cars lorry's are up and down as if its not there ,us here in SE England it is sometimes so marginal its slippery as anything ,hit the brakes to hard your in the ditch ,talking about Prussia ,her friends in Berlin didn't know about upper /lower Silesia, which is now bit of Poland, Germany ,Czech republic ,and they live there ..but how long before the only remaining evidence of Middlesex is the cricket team ,sad

• Like 1

Posted

just some where ..but its snowing ..i would be over the moon to see rain where i am ..anything ..literally isn't doing, has done  nothing for seems like ages 

Edited by TN9
  • Like 1

Posted

There's just nothing stopping La Nina at the moment and that's been the driving force in this Winter,, you can see the Rossby wave once again building from the Pacific.
xx_model-en-330-0_modusa_2022012400_150_1292_449.thumb.png.a23523aff99837234f840c13eb3f8d46.pngxx_model-en-330-0_modusa_2022012400_150_1292_310.thumb.png.83f7bc7dba05672e0c51eb2d3546e51a.png

In North America and there's the platform for the racing mid-level jet to sweep across and up from the east coast and pushed up through the Atlantic. 
xx_model-en-330-0_modusa_2022012400_150_1396_449.thumb.png.b7270a26f55998f3f857f8ab802b379f.png
La Nina being the driving force this Winter considering that not that long ago the QBO was in our favour
image.thumb.png.5a3987858b5afc2db2af1dbc15cd4579.png
image.thumb.png.6181b19e0445e939e29f9ca7194fd78f.png

However the start of the westerly QBO is beginning to show up so nothing really in our favour now
image.thumb.png.7fdb7d4872901f61b872159a0152d753.pngimage.thumb.png.93a97a0abed762e439b9d183566f6b77.png 

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

I've said it time and time again in the MOD thread, but without a SSW I'm not expecting anything this winter. Especially for us in the SE & EA.

The sad reality nowadays is that a cold spell for us on our tiny island without a SSW is becoming more and more rare. Not saying it's impossible, but a cold spell without a SSW just seems impossible to pull off nowadays. 

Here's hoping for some miracle in February, but without any SSW leading us into it unlike last year and 2018. I'm just not confident, but the weather can fool us all. So fingers crossed  

• Like 2

Posted

Gloomy day, temps hoovering around 5c but feels colder than that to me, at least last week we had the sun to make it feel cheerier, looks to be a cloudy cold week for us with little to no sun making its presence felt.

Posted

Echoing what others have said, a gloomy, grey, cold day in Surbiton. I miss last week's crisp winter days. The local parks are still a sticky, muddy mess so the rainfall of not that long ago has still not drained away. To add insult to injury, my brother-in-law in Athens just skyped to show us all the snow around him - he lives on the beach and the Athens schools are closed for two days!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

another of the snowless birthdays for me today 

IMG_1240.JPG

This day last year - Happy birthday tho ❄️

PXL_20210124_121844594.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

another of the snowless birthdays for me today 

IMG_1240.JPG

Awww, happy birthday!

• Like 1

Posted
On 20/01/2022 at 05:45, Sparky68 said:

1c on the commute, anyone else noticed how filthy the roads are? Anyway, at least we had a frost

20220120_045025.jpg

More wishful thinking than anything

I know I replied to this before but there could be a fleeting chance end of month and if the low dives  bit steeper it might be enough...to get a bit of snow, might not settle but I take sleet at the minute least you got half a chance on highest hills

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Reefseeker said:

Awww, happy birthday!

1 hour ago, Pixel said:

This day last year - Happy birthday tho ❄️

PXL_20210124_121844594.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the birthday messages, 24 days of photos taken in a row now, next milestone a month if we get any photo opportunities other than grey cloud that is

IMG_1241.thumb.JPG.b59583069826bd0f9cb32a446476615e.JPG

Anyone would think I like notepad's