Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
18 minutes ago, Summer Snow said:

At this stage I think most of us would take a week or so of cold snowy weather in Feb even if the rest of the month was mild.......been a hard slog this winter..... keeping an eye though on height rises to our northeast which I still think might be the best chance for pattern to evolve to something Colder......seems a very slow moving pattern at present so perhaps if we can get blocking to amplify more favourably, we may see a more prolonged cold spell in due course....plenty of time yet for things to turn in our favour......

Couldn't agree more summer snow .

I come into each winter hoping for a week or two of proper cold weather with a risk of snow because that's all its sensible to hope for here in southern England anything else like December 2010 etc is just an ecstasy inducing bonus.

Another 63 or 47 in my lifetime would be the dogs you know what's. But a week or two of cold and snowy in any given winter would do me.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

I know people have mentioned similarities to 1991 in the past and I do remember that month started wet and windy becoming much drier around the 11th. The rest of the month was if I remember right mostly coldish, frosty in the first week, then mild or very mild for a few days, and then cold but dull to finish the month. I do seem to recall the first 10 days of 1991 was much less mild than this year though.

The GFS06Z seems to show some kind of Beast from the East at the end. Wondering if there are any wider-scale similarities to 1991?

Certainly this month is panning out differently to how I expected; was expecting the initial wet and windy to persist for much of the month. The sequence of unsettled Januaries in even years looks to be broken too, with no real sign of a quick return to wet and windy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I bet many haven't noticed how bad the air quality has been over the past few days?

These are my own readings:

1831278227_Screenshot_20220115-182942_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.31e9e9d5acf44647d6b6e8c820ca2a18.jpg

The 24 hour AQI ones are the ones to take notice of.

Much of England and Wales is the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Latest ECM is very poor , not looking good at all.

Posted
15 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I bet many haven't noticed how bad the air quality has been over the past few days?

1831278227_Screenshot_20220115-182942_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.31e9e9d5acf44647d6b6e8c820ca2a18.jpg

Its been pretty bad, yesterday's fog has left a light film of muck on the windows so it was definitely very poor. Should hopefully clear as the cold front passes through today.

Posted

BBC TV long range forecast by Louise Lear suggesting another week of High Pressure before becoming mobile, wet and windy from west in ‘invigorated jetstream’. Maybe some wintry opportunities once this high as gone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
2 hours ago, Staffmoorlands said:

BBC TV long range forecast by Louise Lear suggesting another week of High Pressure before becoming mobile, wet and windy from west in ‘invigorated jetstream’. Maybe some wintry opportunities once this high as gone

It all comes down to where the high goes as it goes. If heights slip out westwards into the Atlantic with lows towards the Med we'll end up with Northerly blasts before a best case scenario of heights migrating towards Scandi. 

However if too much energy comes off North America lows will instead push heights southwards towards the Azores / Med and that'll be the rest of Jan down the pan. 

For the here and now at least it'll be settled. 

Posted

Well, I can definitely hear the Spring song calling me from the distance. This Winter is becoming a drag. When even frost is hard to come by, you know it's been pants!

Let's hope that we have a nice warm Spring time to look forward to. ☀️

Edited by Seasonal Trim
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
4 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

Well, I can definitely hear the Spring song calling me from the distance. This Winter is becoming a drag. When even frost is hard to come by, you know it's been pants!

I'd agree. I'm not a winter's over person  but this one has been dedious at best. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers, snowy winters

Fellow weatherites, newbie here. I come in peace and in search of knowledge.  I realise there are a lot of coldies out there who yearn for blizzards, snow drifts and ice days.  We all know the classic years, but which were the mildest winters in terms of CET and how mild were they?  Have we ever had a dry and mild winter?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Past half way in Winter now. Catkins are out. Evenings getting lighter. 43 days till spring. Counting down each day. 

Ah but you know winter can bite at any time well into April. Indeed its  common for it to show its hand late in season after not much wintriness in the heart of winter. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 15/01/2022 at 18:32, Mapantz said:

Yes Ive noticed when I drive how much I have to clear the windscreen. The thought of breathing that stuff in isn’t pleasant. 

Boring but benign sums up the current situation. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Out of interest what are the notably dry February's given the way this month is signalling winter will progress.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Cleared my garden of weeds today , first time ever in January,  says it all 

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Seasonal Trim said:

Nope.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 hours ago, Fearthegrimp said:

Fellow weatherites, newbie here. I come in peace and in search of knowledge.  I realise there are a lot of coldies out there who yearn for blizzards, snow drifts and ice days.  We all know the classic years, but which were the mildest winters in terms of CET and how mild were they?  Have we ever had a dry and mild winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Picture from Samotracia, Greek Islands, last week. Another pulse of Arctic sourced cold air forecast heading that way this time next week. Meanwhile back in most of Western Europe, the non description of a winter grinds on relentlessly . Hopefully, winter soon returns to Austrian Alps going by the charts as the Scandinavian trough drops close by.

C

271871542_457472206014305_7156865872674379946_n.jpg

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Ah but you know winter can bite at any time well into April. Indeed its  common for it to show its hand late in season after not much wintriness in the heart of winter. 

1981 was like that, and even 2020 felt cold in March after the mild winter. This was before we had that nice long sunny spell during the first lockdown.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, offerman said:

Persistent strong stubborn high pressure, watch these highs disappear to the far south and west when summer arrives and we get some northerlies /NWs  lol 

This winter has been one of the worst i can remember. So boring, and useless. What a drag of a winter . Makes me feel angry and frustrated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

On the flipside, down here in London this is turning into one of the nicest Januaries I can remember, especially after a foul December. Apart from the mild start, it's generally been seasonable to cold since the 4th. The past week has seen unbroken sunshine apart from a short cloudier interlude 2 days ago, which even then had some bits of blue. Lots of cold nights as well. Memories of January 2017 but I don't think even that was this dry and fine. On the anomaly maps I expect this month may come out cold in the south, mild in the north. One thing I have been thinking though is that if the dry theme continues into February then it will probably lead to a more unsettled spring/early summer as patterns don't usually last for months on end without alterations. Just like how very warm springs rarely lead to thoroughly hot summers. Anyways, back to the present... beautiful month so far. In winters like last year, 2020, 2016 etc where January was so depressingly dull, mild and dank, this is a Godsend. I can tell because usually January drags on but it's flown by for me. May the sunshine continue!

Edited by LetItSnow!
typo
  • Like 3