Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted

No cold!? We're sick of scraping cars in the Vale of York. The last 7 days' lows at Topcliffe have averaged -2.8C.

WWW.OGIMET.COM

Most days of the last week have seen frost last all day in the shade despite a few surprisingly warm lunchtimes. There's been cold ones, too, though. My garden recorded a high of 0.3C on Saturday and today's high is 2.7C after an overnight low of -3.5C. I had to pour warm water over the thick frost on the car windscreen at 12:30pm because the wipers and screen heater were not shifting it. I've just broken the ice on a bucket in the garden to check and its 7mm in the middle after it's already melted a little this afternoon.  It's has been and is very cold here if you are not in the sun! I must say, though, that the glorious sunshine and complete lack of wind has made lunchtimes pleasant if you find a good spot or leave the Vale of York's well known cold pooling in calm weather. The car thermometer rose from 0C to 9C between home and Wetherby today but dropped back to 4C as I got home again at 2pm.  This is the strongest differential I've known without freezing fog (like we had Saturday). The garden currently reads 0.6C so there'll be more frost tomorrow and I will probably have to defrost the car windscreen to go out this evening.

Minimum Temperature Last 24h - 01/18/2022 at 17:00 UTC

No.LocationStation IDAmount

1Benson (United Kingdom)03658 -6.2°C

2Shawbury (United Kingdom)03414 -5.2°C

3Farnborough (United Kingdom)03768 -5.1°C

4Shobdon (United Kingdom)03520 -4.9°C

5Aboyne (United Kingdom)03080 -4.8°C

6Bournemouth Airport (United Kingdom)03862 -4.8°C

7Topcliffe (United Kingdom)03265 -4.8°C

8Charlwood (United Kingdom)03769 -4.5°C

9Castlederg (United Kingdom)03904 -4.4°C

10Hereford/Credenhill (United Kingdom)03522 -4.4°C

11Coningsby Royal Air Force Base (United Kingdom)03391 -4.3°C

12Almondsbury (United Kingdom)03930 -4.1°C

13Rostherne No 2 (United Kingdom)03351 -4.1°C

14Bala (United Kingdom)03409 -4°C

15Hawarden (United Kingdom)03321 -4°C

Script courtesy of  Michael Holden of Relay Weather. Data courtesy of Ogimet

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phil nw. said:

Pretty good agreement from the ens means and the ecm clustering that the high sticks around until at least day 10.Later gefs and clusters though showing it edging south with more of the Atlantic coming over the top.

At first this may not sound good for coldies but maybe time for something away from this stuck pattern with nothing of Winter interest other than a few frosts and local fog,mainly further south.It may not be a milder change,if we can see the jet angled on a nw-se path.

06z gfs mean

gensnh-31-5-348.thumb.png.1235582d68859778684066d09a528596.png

This towards the back end of week 2 but at least a trend to follow for something different.More of a wintry possibility from there i would think.

Hi phill

Exactly what my thoughts were with us being stuck under this high pressure rut. I know some prefer us being under this high but if it’s not going to sit in a favourable position to get us cold then it is just a pest eating what we have iof winter left.

I have mentioned in my previous posts that rather being stuck where the weather is not doing anything, I would prefer the Atlantic to come back. At least with the Atlantic pattern we are more likely to get gaps for colder incursions.

Anyway as February gets closer I think the nerves are kicking in a bit now. No more messing around Mr weather the joke is over let’s get serious now. We need to see some change quick in the coming weeks if we are to get anything of what’s left of winter. I myself here in NE London have not seen a single flake this winter yet.The waiting goes on.  Come on ECM time is going to be running out soon. 

regards

Posted
35 minutes ago, markyo said:

Pure shorts and t shirt weather....and i'm not joking! Hardly had any heating on at all. May be a good thing to save up for running the aircon this summer though!

I don't know how anyone can consider this current spell t shirt weather. Yes its nice and bright, but the recent spell has been quite cold. Nights and mornings are quite cold at the moment. 

I personally can't wait for the nice warm weather, but will enjoy the winter while its here. Hoping we don't another dull fest of a summer like 2021, which in my location was cloudy for weeks on end. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I don't know how anyone can consider this current spell t shirt weather. Yes its nice and bright, but the recent spell has been quite cold. Nights and mornings are quite cold at the moment. 

I personally can't wait for the nice warm weather, but will enjoy the winter while its here. Hoping we don't another dull fest of a summer like 2021, which in my location was cloudy for weeks on end. 

We are all so different i suppose thats what makes us individuals. I don't feel the cold, my heating is very rarely on, spend Winters like this in shorts and t shirts all of the time, never wear long trousers not for even going out in, just get to warm. Opposite in the summer, i suffer terribly, so does by bank balance! What has made this winter so bad though is the lack of interest, nothing but bland mild cloud, really gets me down knowing the possibility of being trapped indoors by summer heat waves is just around the corner.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
47 minutes ago, Aleman said:

No cold!? We're sick of scraping cars in the Vale of York. The last 7 days' lows at Topcliffe have averaged -2.8C.

WWW.OGIMET.COM

Most days of the last week have seen frost last all day in the shade despite a few surprisingly warm lunchtimes. There's been cold ones, too, though. My garden recorded a high of 0.3C on Saturday and today's high is 2.7C after an overnight low of -3.5C. I had to pour warm water over the thick frost on the car windscreen at 12:30pm because the wipers and screen heater were not shifting it. I've just broken the ice on a bucket in the garden to check and its 7mm in the middle after it's already melted a little this afternoon.  It's has been and is very cold here if you are not in the sun! I must say, though, that the glorious sunshine and complete lack of wind has made lunchtimes pleasant if you find a good spot or leave the Vale of York's well known cold pooling in calm weather. The car thermometer rose from 0C to 9C between home and Wetherby today but dropped back to 4C as I got home again at 2pm.  This is the strongest differential I've known without freezing fog (like we had Saturday). The garden currently reads 0.6C so there'll be more frost tomorrow and I will probably have to defrost the car windscreen to go out this evening.

Minimum Temperature Last 24h - 01/18/2022 at 17:00 UTC

No.LocationStation IDAmount

1Benson (United Kingdom)03658 -6.2°C

2Shawbury (United Kingdom)03414 -5.2°C

3Farnborough (United Kingdom)03768 -5.1°C

4Shobdon (United Kingdom)03520 -4.9°C

5Aboyne (United Kingdom)03080 -4.8°C

6Bournemouth Airport (United Kingdom)03862 -4.8°C

7Topcliffe (United Kingdom)03265 -4.8°C

8Charlwood (United Kingdom)03769 -4.5°C

9Castlederg (United Kingdom)03904 -4.4°C

10Hereford/Credenhill (United Kingdom)03522 -4.4°C

11Coningsby Royal Air Force Base (United Kingdom)03391 -4.3°C

12Almondsbury (United Kingdom)03930 -4.1°C

13Rostherne No 2 (United Kingdom)03351 -4.1°C

14Bala (United Kingdom)03409 -4°C

15Hawarden (United Kingdom)03321 -4°C

Script courtesy of  Michael Holden of Relay Weather. Data courtesy of Ogimet

Really is dependent where you stay 

Posted
2 minutes ago, johncam said:

Really is dependent where you stay 

Did you do well for snow last winter?

Posted

Did indeed Don , had 23 snow days and 4 ice days , oh for a wee frost would do just now 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Thinking about it, we did get the northeasterly for one day on Saturday 17th, and immediately before that, I think there was an attempted movement in of a thundery low from France around the 16th though it failed to produce any rain. But then, from Sunday 18th to Friday 23rd we got renewed sunshine if I remember right, Agree that 6th-13th was the hottest spell though. But ISTR the lows were located closest to the SW so quite likely the weather was worse the further SW you were. (I will admit I forgot about that NE-ly in my original post, but even still, the majority of the period from May 4th-23rd was good. I think it was the 24th the weather broke seriously, I have memories of heading north and escaping the advancing cloud...)

I guess you did better down there then. Sunshine was at a premium after the 14th here, bar the odd day. Not a bad May by any means, but there have been considerably better since and before e.g. 1998, 2001, 2004, 2016, 2018, 2020. Good month for thunder!

And yes, the worst weather of the month was definitely the late Bank Holiday Sunday/Monday. Not a dissimlar synoptic to the year before on the same date. Cold, wet and windy with northeasterly winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
10 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I guess you did better down there then. Sunshine was at a premium after the 14th here, bar the odd day. Not a bad May by any means, but there have been considerably better since and before e.g. 1998, 2001, 2004, 2016, 2018, 2020. Good month for thunder!

Of those I'd agree about 2001, 2016, 2018 and 2020 being better, though I'd put 1998 and 2004 on similar footing to 2008 as they too mixed a lengthy warm sunny period with unsettled spells early and late in the month. Oddly despite a lot of 'thundery rain' I only recall one actual thunder-day in May 2008, May 29th which had afternoon thunderstorms after a clear start, in a hazy easterly airstream.

10 minutes ago, MP-R said:

And yes, the worst weather of the month was definitely the late Bank Holiday Sunday/Monday. Not a dissimlar synoptic to the year before on the same date. Cold, wet and windy with northeasterly winds.

Looks like I was lucky I went north that weekend. I remember the final week, while wet, was also somewhat mild and muggy.

6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

After a couple of days with improved air quality, its slowly getting worse again..

Indeed, after the bright sunshine of Monday and the more variable, but still clear-air conditions of Sunday there's been quite extensive low cloud today and it's been very hazy. Symptomatic of a change of wind direction from north-westerly to southerly I think. Thankfully it looks like the wind will go round to the north again in a day or two clearing out the muck once more.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
1 hour ago, Chris K said:

For all the time I have been a member here this has to be the most boring winter so far for me I'm going to get excited just to see a rain band again.

So much grey weather dominated December here, now it is alternating between nice clear days, foggy/frosty nights and dry, back to grey spells imbetween. The high is really struggling to move off anywhere and just meandering about...the lack of interest I have in the charts is notable this month

Winter 16-17 was equally very uninteresting.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Awful Jan here in a way, cold with no snow, have a feeling we'll have to pay for this dry weather with a very wet April

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, johncam said:

Did indeed Don , had 23 snow days and 4 ice days , oh for a wee frost would do just now 

Sounds decent!  I understand it was generally rather cold in Scotland and northern England until mid February, when it did turn milder?  Although, southern England missed out on most of the snow, it was miles better than this winter so far!

Posted
16 minutes ago, Don said:

Sounds decent!  I understand it was generally rather cold in Scotland and northern England until mid February, when it did turn milder?  Although, southern England missed out on most of the snow, it was miles better than this winter so far!

Turned milder around the 8th , yep as you say it wasa lot better than this winter source was either polar air or  continental so real cold 

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Don said:

14th Feb brought the change, the second half of February was very mild cancelling out the cold first half, it was similiar to Feb 09 in many respects. Last winter reminded me alot of winter 08-09 episodic with decent lengthy colder periods and some very milder periods. January 2021 was a good winter month, persistently cold and a number of light snowfalls.

This January could end up being snow free, not unusual. We are racking up a good number of frosts at least.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Interesting temp variations this morning on the drive to work, left home at 7.45 reading -2, on the higher part of the Wolds the car was reading 1.5c but as i dropped down to the lower parts it was showing -3.5 through a couple of the villages, turned into another crisp sunny day, quiet pleasant! 

• Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

14th Feb brought the change, the second half of February was very mild cancelling out the cold first half, it was similiar to Feb 09 in many respects. Last winter reminded me alot of winter 08-09 episodic with decent lengthy colder periods and some very milder periods. January 2021 was a good winter month, persistently cold and a number of light snowfalls.

This January could end up being snow free, not unusual. We are racking up a good number of frosts at least.

Snow melted away on the 8th so that was really the end of the cold for us , temps nearer normal then ,  then a lot milder as you say from mid month 

Edited by johncam
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, markyo said:

We are all so different i suppose thats what makes us individuals. I don't feel the cold, my heating is very rarely on, spend Winters like this in shorts and t shirts all of the time, never wear long trousers not for even going out in, just get to warm. Opposite in the summer, i suffer terribly, so does by bank balance! What has made this winter so bad though is the lack of interest, nothing but bland mild cloud, really gets me down knowing the possibility of being trapped indoors by summer heat waves is just around the corner.

But you live in Sheffield, not Seville. Not really known for ‘trapping people indoors by summer heat’, or has the climate changed that much?! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Loving this weather at the moment, plenty of frosty nights (except tonight!), some fog, this is the next best thing to cold & snow. Can't stand constant wind & rain, really detest stormy weather, long may it continue. 

While hp is around there's always a chance, no matter how slim that it could end up in a more favourable position to deliver some proper wintry weather instead of this inversion cold, 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Yes, last February was a typical pear shaped winter month, similar to like you say 2009 but also 2012.  The closest I've seen to snow this January is a brief bit of sleet on the 4th and I suspect that will be my lot for this month!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Of those I'd agree about 2001, 2016, 2018 and 2020 being better, though I'd put 1998 and 2004 on similar footing to 2008 as they too mixed a lengthy warm sunny period with unsettled spells early and late in the month. Oddly despite a lot of 'thundery rain' I only recall one actual thunder-day in May 2008, May 29th which had afternoon thunderstorms after a clear start, in a hazy easterly airstream.

Regional variation at play no doubt. 2004 had next to no rainfall here between May 12th and June 20th.

We do quite well here in the West Country from easterly and southeasterly thundery setups. Had thunder here on the 05th, 09th, 23rd and 29th. Likewise in the first half of May 2006, in 2016, 2017 and 2018. May 2004 brought the unusual plume from the northeast which again brought thunderstorms here.

Anyway, back to the here and now, and I can't help think what a cracking spell of weather this would be in the summer months! It's nice enough as it is now, but we'd be looking at browning grass by the end of the month if it were a summer month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 13/01/2022 at 20:24, CreweCold said:

Thereafter I think we’ll gradually see the HP retract somewhat and the PFJ move south in our locale.

Looks like we’re starting to see hints of this now in the D10+ timeframe, a few recent GFS runs have gone down this route. The 0z run being no exception.

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

Looks like we’re starting to see hints of this now in the D10+ timeframe, a few recent GFS runs have gone down this route. The 0z run being no exception.

Kinda curious to see what comes next. The pattern the UK has been under has given cold to Moldova, but little in the way of snow. I'm hoping the high doesn't reposition itself into some kind of Europe high.

Posted
7 hours ago, Don said:

Yes, last February was a typical pear shaped winter month, similar to like you say 2009 but also 2012.  The closest I've seen to snow this January is a brief bit of sleet on the 4th and I suspect that will be my lot for this month!

1981/82 ended on a mild note. Wasn’t February 1982 quite mild, after the cold January?

It’s almost perfect winter weather from a practical point of view, lovely sunrises, little rain no stupidly cold wind or snow although the morning frostiness is refreshing. Just need to ensure this pattern repeats itself in about 6 months time with several weeks of uninterrupted sun and warmth.