Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

What’s not to like after the mild, damp dross we have endured for most of the last 5 weeks. A cool settled spell with bright wintry sunshine is next best to snow IMO. Enjoy days like today, the Atlantic will be back soon enough.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
1 hour ago, Bobd29 said:

What’s not to like after the mild, damp dross we have endured for most of the last 5 weeks. A cool settled spell with bright wintry sunshine is next best to snow IMO. Enjoy days like today, the Atlantic will be back soon enough.

That's if you have sunshine mate , been cloudy here for last 6 days and not looking any different next 7 at least,  awful and dreary

Posted
2 hours ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Today it just appears that fog does not develop in the way it did many years ago - fog is the white stuff that fills the air away from surfaces.  Any fog today often seems to be confined to high ground with elevation - valley fog at low levels appears to be non-existent today.  White stuff in terms of fog just seems to have gone the same way as snow is - most of it at high levels with elevation and much less so at low levels.

It also disappears much quicker! Doesn't hang around all day like it used to

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, johncam said:

That's if you have sunshine mate , been cloudy here for last 6 days and not looking any different next 7 at least,  awful and dreary

Thank you for allowing Southern England to have it's first break from that in months! x

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring
1 hour ago, johncam said:

Feel for you, I guess it’s the price to pay for Scottish nirvana when a NW-N-NE arrives…odds on you getting snow in any winter are way better than mine.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
2 minutes ago, Bobd29 said:

Feel for you, I guess it’s the price to pay for Scottish nirvana when a NW-N-NE arrives…odds on you getting snow in any winter are way better than mine.

True enough mate  in most winters but have had  1 snow day this year up till now , 27 last year such is the variables of our weather  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

To be honest and I'm about as crooked as my granny's walking stick, it's been a beautiful Winters day here ,once the fog cleared sparkling sunshine ,really makes you feel better allbeit cold. I definitely would take this quiet settled weather with bags of Winter sunshine than endless days and weeks and months we have endured of dull, damp and grey skies, ☺

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Most of the mildest days this winter have been dry at least locally. So not sure what ppl are on about re "mild damp dross".  The first third of December was colder than average and  very wet.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summer. Snowy Winter.
Just now, ICE COLD said:

Just had to pull myself back into the real world as I’ve being reading through the forum from the 2018 BFTE. What a ride that was it was epic model watching .  

Back to now and it’s all looking rather boring the output , dry at least with some frost about . What I’d do to re run that 2018 output again . 

ECM today -426E2D80-4760-46C2-AF30-1F6CC5EAD1C4.thumb.png.ef255f7eca5e07ae563158a16979a840.png0026690C-4B95-42D2-98B4-D94D8EA64F04.thumb.png.3c3a6a69af970751c83b8cc5d4f80cfa.png14933B6B-3AD9-40BE-B6E4-5D82918C36E8.thumb.png.28755b0162b81a2513cee8104699449d.png

Feb/mar 2018

46D6A1CC-1EB6-45E8-8080-734EC5833088.png.e6aa1873f4422927d561d3e19ca32209.png59185DF4-AC94-4DA3-B556-5FC93B1C67B7.png.97f1cef89a3fb9e52dd56510b83181c0.png6472EC47-D749-4622-949B-60009F9C6924.png.42be1baacc44b970877247306b4ff013.png0E83CF60-0494-44BD-92AE-039CF708166F.thumb.gif.57379f648b037f3e37d5ab35994f8ff4.gifE7FCD197-8EE0-4E3D-A72C-0D3EC984F5B0.png.cf6271b541c9ef61d5e69c820724c6a9.png

If only we could have this again. 

Last time I seen snow lying on the ground for over 24 hours. 4 years ago, says it all. 

Looking at the models it is very likely that we will be looking to February again to save our winter. Incredible how bad a month January is for snow considering it's mid winter.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, O'Maille80 said:

Last time I seen snow lying on the ground for over 24 hours. 4 years ago, says it all. 

Looking at the models it is very likely that we will be looking to February again to save our winter. Incredible how bad a month January is for snow considering it's mid winter.

We have had snow on the ground for 2+ days on three occasions since November so not too bad here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

At least when it's zonal the weather can be interesting with deep lows and the odd North westerly incursion behind.

This is zombie weather, dawn of the dead.

Andy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, O'Maille80 said:

I believe that since World War 2, the Januarys of 1947, 1951, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1958, 1960, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1986 and 1987 all produced more significant snow events than any January since 1988 has, except for 2010 and 2013.  The Januarys of 1953, 1959, 1960, 1962, 1970, 1972, 1980 also produced snow events that would rival the best ones in the post 1988 era (2010 and 2013 apart).  Looking at the above that underlines the steep decline sharply on widespread snow events in January.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I suspect we’ll have to endure the status quo for another two weeks. Thereafter I think we’ll gradually see the HP retract somewhat and the PFJ move south in our locale.

This should pave the way for some zonality in February and there’s a chance this could be of the cold variety. So I’m not totally done with the notion of seeing snow fall, at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
9 hours ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Today it just appears that fog does not develop in the way it did many years ago - fog is the white stuff that fills the air away from surfaces.  Any fog today often seems to be confined to high ground with elevation - valley fog at low levels appears to be non-existent today.  White stuff in terms of fog just seems to have gone the same way as snow is - most of it at high levels with elevation and much less so at low levels.

I disagree with that.

I've lost count at the number of days of fog here, since September. The endless damp is to blame for that, and I'm neither on high ground or in a valley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
13 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

I believe that since World War 2, the Januarys of 1947, 1951, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1958, 1960, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1986 and 1987 all produced more significant snow events than any January since 1988 has, except for 2010 and 2013.  The Januarys of 1953, 1959, 1960, 1962, 1970, 1972, 1980 also produced snow events that would rival the best ones in the post 1988 era (2010 and 2013 apart).  Looking at the above that underlines the steep decline sharply on widespread snow events in January.

But you have to look at the bigger picture. The last ten years New York for instance has had some of its snowiest Winters ever recorded...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I disagree with that.

I've lost count at the number of days of fog here, since September. The endless damp is to blame for that, and I'm neither on high ground or in a valley.

I'm not sure I do agree. Yes it may not longer but I was up for work at 4:30 this morning and couldn't see beyond50 yards.it was the same in work until about 7 ish. I love foggy weather too. 

Posted
50 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

But you have to look at the bigger picture. The last ten years New York for instance has had some of its snowiest Winters ever recorded...

Absolutely true. 

Just have a look at the webcams on windy.com,plenty of places getting buried in snow with bitter cold. And not the usual suspects either. 

Our turn in these islands will come, eventually. 

Edited by Wimbledon88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I suspect we’ll have to endure the status quo for another two weeks.

ALIWBD (At least it will be dry!)  Will make for some nice country walks without getting caked in mud! 

Posted
1 hour ago, ANYWEATHER said:

I would say book a winter holiday to America but sods law, the time you go away, America will be unseasonably mild, while the UK has a big breeze!  A bit like February 1991! 

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Don said:

I would say book a winter holiday to America but sods law, the time you go away, America will be unseasonably mild, while the UK has a big breeze!  A bit like February 1991! 

This happened to me in Dec 2010!! Went to Munich for snow. They had some but not much. 6 inches was due to fall the day we left and flew home. Got to the UK and it was snowing. The further down the M3 we went the deeper it got! Next morning - ruler out- measured 7 ruddy inches!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

snort!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

I notice Weather Online have given up on anything remotely cold and snowy for the whole of January, February, and even March, and we haven’t had a “10 day snow bomb to hit the U.K.” headline from James Madden in the Daily Express for a while now. 

That’s a really bad sign for the rest of the winter, surely ?

Edited by Peter H

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow !!!!

I’ll take dry, but other than that……roll on summer!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, rug said:

I’ll take dry, but other than that……roll on summer!

Lol, roll on Summer on the 14th Jan, really?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow !!!!
8 minutes ago, Nordic Freeze said:

Lol, roll on Summer on the 14th Jan, really?

Yeah, afraid so.

Feel like we will just be chasing shadows for the rest of winter. Inevitably Spring will be colder which will just rub salt into the wound. Looks like USA is about ti go into winter though, we can enjoy all of the news reports coming out of there.