Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted

Surprised no moan and ramp thread started for winter 21-22. It is winter now so only right to start one.

Please use this thread to ramp away or moan about the winter weather. Hopefully a few of the posts cluttering the model thread in recent days will see there way into this thread when strictly not on model topic..  I.e. those just moaning about things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

I'll start this thread with a moan, no snow!! Same start to winter here as the last 15 odd I can remember! Hopefully we'll get the Holy grail, channel low soon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

My drive to work this morning on the Yorkshire Wolds

20211202_081107.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

I know I say this every year, and I know the answer. But, I wish we had a short range (0-144hr) model thread that people actually contributed to. 

Really hate the day 10 snow chase. It takes up the whole thread in which nobody really focuses on the reliable.

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, PiscesStar said:

Looks like we are about to endure wind and rain for The foreseeable... Boring and unsurprising... 

Depends on location - probably not what you want to hear if want snow but many further north have a chance of snow in the coming days.

Posted

To be fair already had more snow on the ground from Sunday evening than some entire winters here. My gut though is this will be a pretty boring  winter, probably a very HP dominanted season with not alot of action on either end of the spectrum.

Posted

Looking to winter. As a person who is not a cold lover. All I ask is that if we do get some cold it is of the cold and dry variety that high pressure brings. Not endless southerly tracked wet and windy lows which just bring chilly wet weather with the occasional snow event if they pull down the northerlies on the way out only to be replaced by a mix of wind rain sleet and wet slushy snow. So if cold. High pressure please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
5 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

My drive to work this morning on the Yorkshire Wolds

20211202_081107.jpg

Nice! Nothing here in South Yorkshire today but had 2 decent snowfalls at the weekend so mustn't grumble...

Posted

ECM this morning modelled winds to the west of Ireland that would make storm Arwen look like a fresh breeze... that's an average of 114mph with gusts to 144mph!
image.thumb.png.229dd5ae33a8317da629551dc5ed05a1.pngimage.thumb.png.94f85781866dfc68dd9313c5ddbdffe1.png

Some sting jet there.. thankfully it weakens to a more 'normal' strong wind event before reaching land.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

We'll have to keep an eye on that one; I don't mind a bit of storm but I don't want a tree toppler or roof ruiner. 

It's a bit annoying that the Atlantic has revved up as soon as we enter Winter, but like many I suspected it would!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

We'll have to keep an eye on that one; I don't mind a bit of storm but I don't want a tree toppler or roof ruiner. 

It's a bit annoying that the Atlantic has revved up as soon as we enter Winter, but like many I suspected it would!

Dec and Jan are the most Atlantic dominated months of the year, and I think the 2 wettest, any dry day now will be a bonus

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Bring on the storm I say! Would be nice to have a bit of exciting weather for a change. This autumn/winter needs it..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

To me early Dec is still autumn, Atlantic dominates, temps often around 10 degrees, not really until Xmas week when winter is possible

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

To me early Dec is still autumn, Atlantic dominates, temps often around 10 degrees, not really until Xmas week when winter is possible

Agree for me winter starts on the 21st

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Modelling towards the medium term (+ 7days) from the ECM looks like turning milder and more Atlantic dominated heading towards mid-month, strangely similar to last year if this occurs. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Interesting output this morning with hints of a more southerly track to this dartboard low coming up... lots to be excited about.

Since this is the moan thread here's my annual moan about the winter is over posts  I do support the idea of a strictly model based thread that focuses on day 5-6 max with tight regulations and then another thread for more day 10/ramp type posts as I think it would be easier for those of us who only care to see what the models are up to, though I understand people have fun with it.

And here's an extra point. Here's the chart for December 3, 1985 and then for February 3, 1986. Would you so bodly claim winter was over then? It's really ridiculous.

image.thumb.png.e4fa30fda10bcbf8334b20a659d1c9e1.pngimage.thumb.png.8869a58468fe6d5d3964c8149dc5b48c.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

And here's an extra point. Here's the chart for December 3, 1985 and then for February 3, 1986. Would you so bodly claim winter was over then? It's really ridiculous.

image.thumb.png.e4fa30fda10bcbf8334b20a659d1c9e1.pngimage.thumb.png.8869a58468fe6d5d3964c8149dc5b48c.png

hindsight is a wonderful thing..you can pick many a chart in early December from awful winters and say the opposite

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
10 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

hindsight is a wonderful thing..you can pick many a chart in early December from awful winters and say the opposite

i mean, doesn’t that prove what i just said? the message is never be too certain of the future, especially weather patterns…. you never know!

Posted
5 hours ago, jonboy said:

Agree for me winter starts on the 21st

The reality since 2010 unusually has been for something colder on occasion first half Dec think 2012, 2017 and last year.. this year following suit though nothing significant.. only for every year since 2010 to produce a singularity of very mild run into Christmas..  I'd exchange a cold first half for a second half.. just hope it doesn't happen yet again!

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Thought i'd better check the meto extended forecast as a few posts indicating it was fab - imho looks awful, extended periods of rain followed by showery rain with a chance of some snow and feeling a little colder mainly up north -lead up to Xmas drier tho milder.  Can't wait

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, LetItSnow! said:

i mean, doesn’t that prove what i just said? the message is never be too certain of the future, especially weather patterns…. you never know!

if winter just means snow (which is true for the majority on here) then winter will be over before it starts 9 years out of 10

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, cobbett said:

Thought i'd better check the meto extended forecast as a few posts indicating it was fab - imho looks awful, extended periods of rain followed by showery rain with a chance of some snow and feeling a little colder mainly up north -lead up to Xmas drier tho milder.  Can't wait

I think it's more the promise of something blocked rather than Atlantic later in December which raises the Hope's of those who want something colder to materialise.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Bring on some stormy weather, I say!

Very little chance of anything wintry down here for the foreseeable, apart from a frost.

• Like 2