Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

Same as others -  an unexpected dusting! 

• Like 1

Posted

Nice surprise dusting of snow this morning. Are we still expecting some tonight/early tomorrow morning? Heard it'll likely turn to rain after anyway. Either way quite a good start to Winter really with the weekend just gone snowfalls and now this morning.

Posted
On 02/12/2021 at 08:35, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Nice surprise dusting of snow this morning. Are we still expecting some tonight/early tomorrow morning? Heard it'll likely turn to rain after anyway. Either way quite a good start to Winter really with the weekend just gone snowfalls and now this morning.

I've just had a look through the models, and most of them show a spell of snow eventually turning to rain during the early hours of tomorrow. The Euro4 and UKV are the only models making little of it.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Liking the ICON 6z. It keeps tomorrow morning's precipitation almost entirely as snow here. A rapid thaw would follow tomorrow as temperatures rise but it might be another wintry scene to wake up to! I'll be up in the early hours to see what happens.

iconeu_uk1_1_20_0ung7.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

It seems as if there were 'hit and miss' showers overnight.

This part of Solihull was a miss.

Minimum temp was 0C.

MIA

Posted

Surprise dusting yesterday, and don't know how this happened but one tile got snow while the rest didn't.

IMG_20211202_101329323.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

A slight covering of snow here in sunny Prestbury. Oddly enough there is no snow cover on nearby Cleeve Hill. 

The snow shower must have been not far east enough in the northerly wind.

Posted

Met Office regional outlook and automated forecasts showing the risk of snow on Monday. Their own model must be showing this as I can't see much for it on the publicly available models.

Before then, some of the showers over the weekend may be wintry, and there is the transient snow risk late tonight/early tomorrow.

Not exactly Narnia but it's a nice seasonal start to the Winter after a snowy end to Autumn!

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Unsettled on Saturday with blustery showers, wintry over high ground. Drier and calmer on Sunday. Further rain and possibly snow on Monday.

Edit: Actually, the UKV does snow a sleet/snow risk for Monday.

image.thumb.png.cc78e5bad5f8ce6d1b620d8b7a1e8d36.png

viewimage.png

Edited by MattStoke

Posted

Busy morning ! 
but yes a nice covering of snow  in pelsall 

not much in Perry Barr but plenty between there and no mans Heath (office )

on my travels , I think streetly had the best covering ❄️

2DCB7BE2-F223-4181-A048-3EC9F2DBC1AA.jpeg

BDB0C6F0-AAA3-40AC-AEDA-66E395587408.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
2 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

It seems as if there were 'hit and miss' showers overnight.

This part of Solihull was a miss.

Minimum temp was 0C.

MIA

Went to the rubbish tip by bham airport..

100yards from home a covering then none at all for the next 100yards.

Carried on like that all the way. Max I saw was about 2 cms.

The major issue was the black ice. Even at 11:00 and full sunshine the carpark was still solid.

I did not realise that the strong wind was that cold.

MIA 

Posted

No snow here this morning but very cold with icy patches, that wind is

Posted
19 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

More snow everywhere else I see, even the SE has had some. Bright and sunny here, not a flake in sight and again loads of ice this morning where yesterdays rain froze

The weather gods really do punish shropshire! But sadly, you're that little bit too far west during northwesterlys and northerlies i feel with Shrewsbury being so low down not helping  The last 12 months have really proven how north of Birmingham up to Stoke seems to be the sweet spot for the region. Elsewhere is truly hit and miss, although most places got a few decent snow days last winter. This of course, during a proper easterly and channel low setup goes out the window, and the risk would transfer elsewhere, but is more based upon last winters success stories.

Edited by shunthebartlett92

Posted
On 02/12/2021 at 13:05, shunthebartlett92 said:

The weather gods really do punish shropshire! But sadly, you're that little bit too far west during northwesterlys and northerlies i feel with Shrewsbury being so low down not helping  The last 12 months have really proven how north of Birmingham up to Stoke seems to be the sweet spot for the region. Elsewhere is truly hit and miss, although most places got a few decent snow days last winter. This of course, during a proper easterly and channel low setup goes out the window, and the risk would transfer elsewhere, but is more based upon last winters success stories.

It’s quite remarkable how many snowfalls my area (far south east of Stoke) had last winter and so far this season. Just seem to be perfectly positioned in the centre of the U.K. with not much shelter (north of Stoke is more sheltered by the Staffordshire Moorlands and Peak District) and with enough elevation to make the difference in the very marginal conditions. It takes nothing special at all for this place to get plastered with snow. Maybe it’s the weather gods making up for 30 largely snowless years I had in the south east

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

It’s quite remarkable how many snowfalls my area (far south east of Stoke) had last winter and so far this season. Just seem to perfectly positioned in the centre of the U.K. with not much shelter (north of Stoke is more sheltered by the Staffordshire Moorlands and Peak District) and with enough elevation to make the difference in the very marginal conditions. It takes nothing special at all for this place to get plastered with snow. Maybe it’s the weather gods making much for 30 largely snowless years I had in the south east

Haha youre in a better place now, Stoke is affordable and a great central spot for getaways to the hills! I've got the fortune of starting a new forecasting role in mid Aberdeenshire now in January so will be up there for training second half of the month, so hoping im bang on cue for some exciting weather. Sadly doubt i'll convince the missus to move up with me, much happier in Birmingham

Edited by shunthebartlett92
  • Like 1

Posted

Little melt of last night's snow despite sunshine and temperatures above freezing. Shows the difference weak solar energy makes. In late winter, snow melts rapidly even with full cloud cover and temperatures several degrees lower than today.

Posted

Any guesses about snowfall tonight?  Already -1 here and with this mornings dusting still lying in sheltered parts, can’t see rain falling.

Going to be a long, hard winter, methinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Little melt of last night's snow despite sunshine and temperatures above freezing. Shows the difference weak solar energy makes. In late winter, snow melts rapidly even with full cloud cover and temperatures several degrees lower than today.

Same here, surprising dusting around 4am I think!, yes that's why February isn't really winter, best window is around 1st Dec to 20th Jan

Posted
4 hours ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

Northwesterlies can be brilliant like Dec 2017, but they have to be just right to hit us with the Cheshire Gap effect. Too much west of north and it all goes to Staffs and the Peak, anything east of north misses us by miles (straight E'lies can work though). Straight westerly and it often dies out over Wales sometimes to pep up again at the M6... But Sunday was unfathomable. We got the precip, right direction, and yet it rained in Shropshire at over 150m while it snowed not only in Staffs/W Mids but also in Crewe (lower than here, I'm a bit north of Shrewsbury town at around 95m). Then there are the storms that skirt Shropshire and the cloud that turns up in summer when all the neighbouring counties have hot sunshine... I know weather is hit and miss but this area misses a disproportionate number of times it seems.

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Same here, surprising dusting around 4am I think!, yes that's why February isn't really winter, best window is around 1st Dec to 20th Jan

Have to disagree with you there. The BFTE started last day in February  (see attached) and both 1963 and 1979 (amongst others), probably peaked in early Feb and through into March.  I would have said December was the least wintry winter month.

E94C1934-017F-4C37-BD67-19EF34A73311.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!
5 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

More snow everywhere else I see, even the SE has had some. Bright and sunny here, not a flake in sight and again loads of ice this morning where yesterdays rain froze

Yeah no snow here at all, just a very dodgy walk to school, trying to keep my lad from falling I ended up on my ass lol!!