Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

We didn't come off to badly round here by all accounts.  One fence panel blown down in our close is as bad as it got.  One surprise from this storm - I woke up to a covering of snow this morning, which was nice to see.

• Like 2

Posted

My sister's other have is a tree sturgeon and this is a country road he's clearing between Kirriemuir and Forfar.

25 trees down on this short stretch alone.

received_290131486378635.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Really does sound like the norths 87, hopefully much less death toll though. People new it was coming. Trees seem to be down everywhere all over the worst hit areas. 

Trees build their root systems to defend against the predominant strong winds. They would have been weak to this storm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

winds starting to pick up here now, but it won't be anywhere near as strong as it was yesterday night in the NE

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
5 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Really does sound like the norths 87, hopefully much less death toll though. People new it was coming. Trees seem to be down everywhere all over the worst hit areas. 

Trees build their root systems to defend against the predominant strong winds. They would have been weak to this storm.

I wondered if this year's very dry conditions also might also have been an issue. Dry earth? Scotland was into water scarcity not that long ago

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Mostly issues caused by snow locally although reports from MRT teams say they had to rescue a few stranded drivers over the higher passes overnight once the snow began accumulating past 2am across the lower areas, some 60mph gusts recorded but no major damage other than a few Chrimbo decorations knocked down.

Posted

getting really blowy now, at times the house is cracking from the wind

Posted

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100033506417966

Terrible damage to coastal caravan park near Berwick upon Tweed

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Jo Farrow said:

not everyone uses facebook, could u show the images here please?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 27/11/2021 at 20:31, Jo Farrow said:

Oh my god, you aren't mixing, that's terrible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
On 27/11/2021 at 20:31, Jo Farrow said:

Faceybooks closed page....

• Like 1

Posted

pretty impressive for even this pub, especially in late November

_121848539_mediaitem121848535.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Dozens of people are still unable to leave the Tan Hill Inn due to heavy snowfall.

image.thumb.png.874c4b7dda0cf883489551800fbcdf47.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Windermere...

FB_IMG_1638055602328.jpg.d009ec1bc6832e5994601d089b87b2c8.jpg

Posted
15 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

That looks like pictures we tend to see after a hurricane in the US. 

I don't think the storm will get historical noteriety like a 1987 or 1991, because the worst effects were fairly localised, but it will be famous for wrecking the set of "I'm a celebrity".

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

This storm bought the strongest winds I have seen since we moved here at brongest, Wales in 2018.

All during that night my weather station which is just over 6ft in height had quite a few gusts in the 30s mph which is unusual to get at ground level in a garden. All of my mothers dragon ornaments in the garden were knocked over and badly damaged.

Considering the day after I still managed to get 43mph and 46mph gusts up the hill tells me that there must have been frequent gusts in the 50s mph that night and possibly a few in the 60s mph which we hardly ever reach. I think its likely we had those level of winds as there were a few small trees that were uprooted or snapped in half, a few large branches off of some of the bigger trees and a neighbours scaffolding that had been knocked over.

Another thing is as I was watching the wind the gusts had a punch effect going over the house which I have hardly ever witnessed before and the amount of power flashes in the sky I saw that night was ridiculous.

I am a bit annoyed I wasn't able to go out to possibly break my handheld anemometer reading of 53mph since living here but I didn't risk going out up the hill to measure the winds as the wind chill would have been really bad and I wouldn't have wanted a tree or large branch to take my life. Had it been milder I could have just gone up earlier before the worst came as I wouldn't have had to worry about getting wind chill from being out the whole night. There are a load of trees each side of the road you have to walk past while walking up the hill before you come across safer open land and farm gates where I take my wind readings so I just couldn't risk it. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

Been pretty bad services wise in South Lakes. Parts of Coniston had electricity restored we at 20:00 70hrs after losing it on Friday evening. My part of village is still off, maybe so for another 24-48 hrs. Spent most of the day balancing work from Mountain Rescue HQ running on a generator provided by electricity NW and helping coordinate local welfare checks by volunteers. 

To be honest statutory authorities been very poor in support and are only now seeming to grasp the seriousness of the situation with a high proportion of elderly, vulnerable people.

Let's see what tomorrow brings... hopefully some power and a working Combi.

Chief executive of electricity NW said they've never seen anything like the devastation to some of the power grid.

At least there were no serious injuries hereabouts although sadly a chap was killed in Ambleside when a tree fell on him.

I did hear one report that Walney airport registered 122 mph but haven't seen any corroboration of that.

Posted
On 27/11/2021 at 21:52, Atmogenic said:

not everyone uses facebook, could u show the images here please?

A summary few

FB.png

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
17 hours ago, JeffC said:

Been pretty bad services wise in South Lakes. Parts of Coniston had electricity restored we at 20:00 70hrs after losing it on Friday evening. My part of village is still off, maybe so for another 24-48 hrs. Spent most of the day balancing work from Mountain Rescue HQ running on a generator provided by electricity NW and helping coordinate local welfare checks by volunteers. 

To be honest statutory authorities been very poor in support and are only now seeming to grasp the seriousness of the situation with a high proportion of elderly, vulnerable people.

Let's see what tomorrow brings... hopefully some power and a working Combi.

Chief executive of electricity NW said they've never seen anything like the devastation to some of the power grid.

At least there were no serious injuries hereabouts although sadly a chap was killed in Ambleside when a tree fell on him.

I did hear one report that Walney airport registered 122 mph but haven't seen any corroboration of that.

I hope your now back on. Pretty poor show perhaps the Government should get the army in to help. Probably a combination of cost cutting poor maintenance with the finishing touch by the storm to bring it all out in the open. I bet the CEO will be awarding himself/herself a big increase in salary this new year as well.

Aahh I see Amey are the sub contractors that explains it then

Edited by The PIT

Posted
1 hour ago, Jo Farrow said:

A summary few

FB.png

thank you and wow looks more like a tornado hit that place