Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - the final third of Autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

For this exact date ECMWF and GFS were yesterday showing -16 uppers for central Europe,now ensemble mean is showing Euro high, whats the point in posting numerous click bait posts of GFS post 300h if at 120hr there was 180° turn around just like that.

gens-31-1-162.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
16 minutes ago, swfc said:

You'd bank this in November any year gfsnh-0-306.thumb.png.dc0af9dad877107b5f7321e0982ef968.png

Most definitely, there’s never a guarantee of getting deep cold to the UK especially early in the season but with the way the Atlantic is behaving at the minute I think is looking increasingly likely within the next few weeks 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Polar view is frequently showing something like this. Trend, incorrect trend or an over reaction to a signal? Well find out over time and that's why we're all here!

image.thumb.png.7806b77d2c810e1b485a5281831e2c74.png

If I was being really greedy I'd want lower pressure over northern Italy and central Europe

Edited by LRD
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
2 minutes ago, swfc said:

Because it looks nice, I like them and it's just weather and its fun, enjoy

For me this is kindergarden stuf. I can already count 3 cold snaps that models turned around in to Euro high already this autumn, as of last week for today models were showing -8 T850hPa for my location but now we will have like +4, how amusing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
On 09/11/2021 at 11:18, jules216 said:

For me this is kindergarden stuf. I can already count 3 cold snaps that models turned around in to Euro high already this autumn, as of last week for today models were showing -8 T850hPa for my location but now we will have like +4, how amusing

No worries. Like I said just following the models and output. I do understand climatology, synoptics etc. Just shooting the breeze and you could be spot on with the euro Heighths. Enjoy your day

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I wouldn’t want to be in his house at Xmas

• Like 7

Posted
38 minutes ago, jules216 said:

For this exact date ECMWF and GFS were yesterday showing -16 uppers for central Europe,now ensemble mean is showing Euro high, whats the point in posting numerous click bait posts of GFS post 300h if at 120hr there was 180° turn around just like that.

gens-31-1-162.png

Jules give the la nina footprint time to kick in its only first week of November the models are getting there interesting times ahead.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frost and thunderstorms
1 hour ago, booferking said:

Absolutely crazy chart for end November

gfsnh-0-294.png

It most certainly is. I'd love to see how this would evolve from here. As other's have posted though - there is some very blocked results being thrown out and equally, some very flat ones too. More runs needed but I always love it when we get the carrots being dangled in front of us - very interesting and better than highly mobile patterns just bringing the misery of flooding. Would be nice to see us on the right side of things from a frost and snow perspective. Keep hoping team! Something may be a foot, I just hope it's the snow levels - I will get my coat. Which hopefully, we will need!

• Like 4

Posted

Clearly, and we know from experience,  Euro heights can be incredibly durable.

GFS clearly hasty in promoting a strong Atlantic block ,it could be a delay,not a cancellation to the correct pattern..

• Like 3

Posted
On 09/11/2021 at 12:30, northwestsnow said:

GFS clearly hasty in promoting a strong Atlantic block ,it could be a delay,not a cancellation to the correct pattern..

Indeed they are durable and a pain problem is we have zero control over them

The output is what it is and will frustrate. It could be a delay or it could set us up in a poor position nw. I think we're in a good position this year but it good go down the Gary. Not much point stressing it will do what it does mate

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, swfc said:

Indeed they are durable and a pain problem is we have zero control over them

The output is what it is and will frustrate. It could be a delay or it could set us up in a poor position nw. I think we're in a good position this year but it good go down the Gary. Not much point stressing it will do what it does mate

I'm not stressing

The pattern depicted for the last week in November by the ec46 last night is still possible...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I'm thinking similar, the high pressure heading toward Greenland matches the phase 4 chart I posted yesterday think gfs just a bit quick with that setup I'm still looking to see if higher pressure can appear in Scandi like the other charts I posted suggest. And something worth remembering some members might not have been viewing the charts back in November 2010 but it was gfs and its ensembles that done similar to what we are seeing now picking up on that blocking before the other models, so not worth discounting altogether

• Like 9

Posted
On 09/11/2021 at 12:43, northwestsnow said:

I'm not stressing

The pattern depicted for the last week in November by the ec46 last night is still possible...

I know "your" not mate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.png.e60157beafa52f42f8a1c61a0c7f8743.pngimage.thumb.png.f8680517c2e0410bad86286a563fd0d9.pngimage.thumb.png.6a6cc28ee206a81e90f6b9e10f495b1b.png

Still a downward trend later into November, though nothing especially cold on the mean yet as there are plenty of mild options to go with the colder ones too. Pressure looks to be remaining high for quite a while too....so the quiet autumn looks like continuing. The 6z GFS run above shows many areas seeing 0-5mm of rain in the next 14 days. Even the traditionally very wet W/NW areas aren't too bad either.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

IMO, if a model produces a chart, then that chart is 'fair game'. And, after all, how many Day 10+ charts verify? Not many!

But, anyhow, here are today's GEFS 06Z temperature ensembles to pick over. Happy perusing!

t850Suffolk.png    t2mSuffolk.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards
54 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I'm thinking similar, the high pressure heading toward Greenland matches the phase 4 chart I posted yesterday think gfs just a bit quick with that setup I'm still looking to see if higher pressure can appear in Scandi like the other charts I posted suggest. And something worth remembering some members might not have been viewing the charts back in November 2010 but it was gfs and its ensembles that done similar to what we are seeing now picking up on that blocking before the other models, so not worth discounting altogether

Now that is a thread i would love to read , anyone got the model discussion bookmarked from winter 2010 by any chance ?  

• Like 2

Posted
On 09/11/2021 at 13:28, Ed Stone said:

IMO, if a model produces a chart, then that chart is 'fair game'. And, after all, how many Day 10+ charts verify? Not many!

But, anyhow, here are today's GEFS 06Z temperature ensembles to pick over. Happy perusing!

t850Suffolk.png    t2mSuffolk.png

Well said Ed, be pointless viewing if it was cast in stone. Any for me "The hair is on the move" , it's a sheffield thing at dog racing. Things are OK for november at least its not lashing it down with a bartlett.

Edited by swfc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
8 minutes ago, Raythan said:

Now that is a thread i would love to read , anyone got the model discussion bookmarked from winter 2010 by any chance ?  

The Strat thread for Winter 09/10 is here, and might be of interest:

• Thanks 4