Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COP26 (UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties) Discussion

Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 hour ago, Skullzrulerz said:

At least we're doing something to help other countries.

You're missing the point......We need too sort out the mess in our own backyard before we sort out other countries. And as regards Jo Biden, the Waffle that idiot speaks is as I say Waffle,  nothing he says will ever come to fruition. ....

Posted

India has pledged to "aim" for net zero by 2070 

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has also said that that he aims for the nation to emit one billion fewer tons of carbon by 2030

As well as 50% of energy being provided by renewable sources by then.

It's railways/infrastructure aims to go net zero by 2030.

According to the Prime Minister this will save 60 million tonnes of carbon each year

Posted

Vietnam has said it would target 2050 net zero. Industry Minister Nguyen Hong Dien said the country would double wind and solar power generated to 31-38 gigawatts by 2030.

Argentina and Fortescue Metals Group said they were planning a $8.4bn “green hydrogen” plant to open in the country - with hopes the new factory would be a global hub for the gas by 2030.

Posted

BBC News - COP26: World leaders promise to end deforestation by 2030

_121308249_gettyimages-1173062100-1.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

In the first major deal from Glasgow's climate change meeting, leaders promise to stop cutting down trees.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
21 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

BBC News - COP26: World leaders promise to end deforestation by 2030

_121308249_gettyimages-1173062100-1.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

In the first major deal from Glasgow's climate change meeting, leaders promise to stop cutting down trees.

but aren't there more than 2million km2 more trees than there was 40 years ago? as for the rest of the pledges i guarantee by all the vague rhetoric of hoping to or our aim is to achieve such and such is a way not to deliver as with every other climate conference to date..CO2 will continue to rise for the next 20 years at least..be interesting to see if Arctic sea ice is still there or if the Maldives has disappeared? 

• Like 1

Posted

Forgetting about these idiots in Glasgow, does anyone know of a tree planting scheme my business could join?

I would be good to actually support something that was actually doing something positive, and if I could add something like a number of trees planted to my website, that would be both quite cool and satisfying. - Yes it is a serious question. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
9 hours ago, HighPressure said:

Forgetting about these idiots in Glasgow, does anyone know of a tree planting scheme my business could join?

I would be good to actually support something that was actually doing something positive, and if I could add something like a number of trees planted to my website, that would be both quite cool and satisfying. - Yes it is a serious question. 

There are several one that springs to mind is 'Tree's for life' , The Woodland Trust ,Click a tree, and many others

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

I do think those complaining about the amount of CO2 being emitted as a result of these leaders for this meeting have a valid complaint, especially when they themselves are telling us not to fly and eat meat. One rule for them and another for everybody else and they'll have a carbon footprint bigger then anyone on this forum.

I think this will be all talk and no action, they will all give themselves a celebratory pat on the back afterwards but not much in the grander scheme of things will change.

Could have easily done that via a video conference these days.

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 hours ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

I do think those complaining about the amount of CO2 being emitted as a result of these leaders for this meeting have a valid complaint, especially when they themselves are telling us not to fly and eat meat. One rule for them and another for everybody else and they'll have a carbon footprint bigger then anyone on this forum.

I think this will be all talk and no action, they will all give themselves a celebratory pat on the back afterwards but not much in the grander scheme of things will change.

Could have easily done that via a video conference these days.

It's not the leaders that necessarily bother me. I completely understand that meeting in person is a better way of doing it.

But what I do object to is the literally thousands of delegates and staff who have joined them for an all expenses paid jolly up. It's needless and totally hypocritical. 

• Like 4

Posted
On 02/11/2021 at 14:30, Nick L said:

It's not the leaders that necessarily bother me. I completely understand that meeting in person is a better way of doing it.

But what I do object to is the literally thousands of delegates and staff who have joined them for an all expenses paid jolly up. It's needless and totally hypocritical. 

Completely agree, to be honest while I totally support the cause and the purpose of these meeting but I don't think they need all these people to be in one place. (Even with a rumor that somebody has COVID)

While it's essential that they get to A to B in the safest timeframe and protocols etc they need to start setting a example.

So I ask you you're opinion Nick L (along others) what do you think of the conference so far? 

We have India who's set to be net zero by 2070 (people think this will be sooner) though that looks "too little too late" it's the short term goals that look very postive indeed.

100+ countries including the United States and the EU have made a commitment to reduce methane by 30% by 2030

Ending deforestation and reversing it by 2030 (85% of the world's forests at current) 

I'm aware that there was a similar plan for this back in 2015 but safe to say that didn't work out well.

I completely understand that folks think it's all talk but we have to hope that's it's the beginning of action, before it's too late 

Posted

Guest post: The Global Methane Pledge needs to go further to help limit warming to 1.5C

At the COP26 summit in Glasgow today, US president Joe Biden and European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen officially launched the Global Methane Pledge. 

Announced in September, the pledge asks countries to cut their methane emissions by 30% over 2020-30 and agree to stronger reporting standards. In his speech, Biden said “nine countries had signed on” in September, but “today, it’s over 80 and approaching 100 countries”. (US climate envoy John Kerry later clarified that “we’re up to 105”.)

As well as the US and EU nations, these include Indonesia, Canada, Brazil and the UK. In total, the number of countries signed up represents “nearly half the global methane emissions” and “70% of global GDP”, Biden noted.

According to the EU and US, delivering on the pledge “would reduce warming by at least 0.2C by 2050”. But can it deliver on this promise?

Global mitigation efforts have rightly focused on emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2). To prevent further warming, global CO2 emissions need to reach net-zero as quickly as possible. However, until net-zero CO2 is achieved we will see continued warming and increasingly devastating extreme weather. 

As global warming is increasingly becoming a lived reality for the global population, attention is focusing on what the world can do to rapidly change the direction of travel and to limit global warming to as close to 1.5C as possible.

Using simple climate models known as “emulators”, we show that cutting methane can have a huge impact on limiting near-term warming, but global methane reductions of around 50% will likely be needed to realise the 0.2C saving.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/guest-post-the-global-methane-pledge-needs-to-go-further-to-help-limit-warming-to-1-5c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
4 minutes ago, knocker said:

Guest post: The Global Methane Pledge needs to go further to help limit warming to 1.5C

At the COP26 summit in Glasgow today, US president Joe Biden and European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen officially launched the Global Methane Pledge. 

Announced in September, the pledge asks countries to cut their methane emissions by 30% over 2020-30 and agree to stronger reporting standards. In his speech, Biden said “nine countries had signed on” in September, but “today, it’s over 80 and approaching 100 countries”. (US climate envoy John Kerry later clarified that “we’re up to 105”.)

As well as the US and EU nations, these include Indonesia, Canada, Brazil and the UK. In total, the number of countries signed up represents “nearly half the global methane emissions” and “70% of global GDP”, Biden noted.

According to the EU and US, delivering on the pledge “would reduce warming by at least 0.2C by 2050”. But can it deliver on this promise?

Global mitigation efforts have rightly focused on emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2). To prevent further warming, global CO2 emissions need to reach net-zero as quickly as possible. However, until net-zero CO2 is achieved we will see continued warming and increasingly devastating extreme weather. 

As global warming is increasingly becoming a lived reality for the global population, attention is focusing on what the world can do to rapidly change the direction of travel and to limit global warming to as close to 1.5C as possible.

Using simple climate models known as “emulators”, we show that cutting methane can have a huge impact on limiting near-term warming, but global methane reductions of around 50% will likely be needed to realise the 0.2C saving.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/guest-post-the-global-methane-pledge-needs-to-go-further-to-help-limit-warming-to-1-5c

Is there a list of who has signed up? I see no mention of China, India, or Russia there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
32 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Completely agree, to be honest while I totally support the cause and the purpose of these meeting but I don't think they need all these people to be in one place. (Even with a rumor that somebody has COVID)

While it's essential that they get to A to B in the safest timeframe and protocols etc they need to start setting a example.

So I ask you you're opinion Nick L (along others) what do you think of the conference so far? 

We have India who's set to be net zero by 2070 (people think this will be sooner) though that looks "too little too late" it's the short term goals that look very postive indeed.

100+ countries including the United States and the EU have made a commitment to reduce methane by 30% by 2030

Ending deforestation and reversing it by 2030 (85% of the world's forests at current) 

I'm aware that there was a similar plan for this back in 2015 but safe to say that didn't work out well.

I completely understand that folks think it's all talk but we have to hope that's it's the beginning of action, before it's too late 

The India pledge is disappointing. But the other noises are optimistic and positive, my concern is that it's all words as we've heard this all before. The deforestation is not binding I believe?

I really want this to be meaningful.

• Like 1

Posted
On 02/11/2021 at 15:58, Nick L said:

The India pledge is disappointing. But the other noises are optimistic and positive, my concern is that it's all words as we've heard this all before. The deforestation is not binding I believe?

I really want this to be meaningful.

Do you mean it's net zero by 2070 or the short term goals it has for 2030?

I think the British government and along others across the broad welcome the short term, getting India to commit or aim for a goals like this is huge step.

I think only a few days ago India wasn't that into making a commitment?

But of course no only it has to be meaningful it has to be action and action right away.

Or else the consequences will be harsh.

Posted
On 02/11/2021 at 15:53, Yarmy said:

Is there a list of who has signed up? I see no mention of China, India, or Russia there.

You can find a list of "Pledges" here.

WWW.GLOBALMETHANEPLEDGE.ORG

I did have a quick look but couldn't see the three counties that you said on the list.

Posted

Joe Biden has said China made a big mistake not showing up.

skynews-breaking-news_5513713.jpg?202109
NEWS.SKY.COM

President Joe Biden has said Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping's failure to turn up to the COP26 climate summit is a "big mistake".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
_121323757_thesphinx.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Dubbed the Sphinx, the snow on a remote Scottish mountain has in the past survived for decades at a time.

The figures don't lie. 

Posted

Ridiculous, IMO. The debate has been dumbed down to this level. Isn't he really advocating that trees and shrubbery etc near railway line should be maintained or even cut back and that will decrease the problem?!  Trees have been losing branches, leaves  and even been uprooted for centuries!!!!!!  Read about the 1703 great storm, read about 1839 gale. 

By the way, I hope the deforestation pledge at COP26 does happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1