Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
On 11/12/2021 at 18:13, Norrance said:

@Puffy MacCloud Hope that you get sorted soon!
Miserable day here too. After a frosty start it has been cool and wet with a max of around 4C. 
Just saw ITV weather and was surprised to hear that "We are still in the cold air with a max of only 9 or10C".

Surely for a Scottish Winter 10C is warm or have I missed something?

Shifting Baseline Syndrome ☹️ I do find it especially depressing when professional weather folk succumb to it. You hear it the other way around too these days, with presenters saying that 5C will be ‘bitterly cold’ after it’s been 12C in November for three weeks

• Like 5

Posted

A mainly grey day with the blue skies staying tantalizingly to the NE.

pic1.thumb.jpg.ac16396ca8c61173f1e6ab582ddbaa46.jpg

Dry, light winds strengthening as the day went on (now pretty blowy outside).

Temperature hovered around 6c during daylight but has rocketed in the last 3 hours to the current 11c!

First visit to Castle Fraser since storm Arwen.  Thankfully none of the signature trees there seem to have been toppled but plenty of destruction nevertheless...

pic3.thumb.jpg.794cdeb5d1a643a5a55ad98a80a6699a.jpg

pic2.thumb.jpg.4b0bba08034491f3e53f012940be1995.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

It hasn't felt all that cold in the last few days but it has been enough to ice over some ares of water. In this reservoir on  the outskirts of Dundee a couple of dogs fell through the ice and despite the efforts of a passing jogger one Staffie drowned. Just a reminder to be careful with ice about.  Just to add though that it will be gone shortly with the warmer weather arriving. Currently 8.8C here, the warmest of the day. 

FBB6A6AD-A167-4CA8-9B11-19A99CF23BA9.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

The StormWithNoName has been making itself felt at Glencoe Ski Area, there's been gusts of 91mph at the base and 99mph at the summit. The base figure suggests there could be some hair raising gusts hitting the A82 over Rannoch Moor tonight! 

• Like 5

Posted

Very wild night here with wind howling round house. Possibly  some more trees down in the morning which were  weakened  by Arwen as coming  from almost the opposite direction the SW

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We had the same sudden increase in wind for a time, very wild and woolly then it just stopped.

• Like 1

Posted
On 13/12/2021 at 01:26, Northernlights said:

Very wild night here with wind howling round house. Possibly  some more trees down in the morning which were  weakened  by Arwen as coming  from almost the opposite direction the SW

Well having just tidied branches/leaves from garden yesterday afternoon when it was calm from Arwen this morning has deposited another thinner layer from last nights gusts.Side roads are littered in branches again as I took Young Mr Northernlights to work as his car gets its MOT. Currently breezy clear and 5c

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! It got a wee bit blustery here last night, but nothing to write home about where I am. One part of Skye recorded a 78mph gust though. Incredibly mild at 9.30pm last night, 12.6c! Ridiculous! Currently 5.6c , cloud clearing a bit, and light winds. Could be a lot worse! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Turned into a fine day and with the overnight wind starting the drying processs its a bit more pleasant to be on the ground. Still clearing up from last nights storm as hydro engineers using floodlights are this evening removing a broken limb resting on a power line at the end of the farm road. Currently  moonlit and 3c

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Skies quite clear here just now at 3C. Some bright ints today with just one brief shower around tea time. Looking more and more like an extended period of high pressure building towards and beyond Christmas. But of a Winter waster for me but can see how some may like settled weather. Hopefully it will not be a gloomy or an inversion type high (for the ski slopes).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Dangerous frost/ice here with pavements treacherous walking the  dog. Charts continue to point to cold starting a week from now and with some luck and upgrades maybe some will be able to dream of a white xmas. 

Im in a panic as the kids missed out on trip to man city march 2020 and had rebooked for boxing day this year, now im starting to fear either restrictions or game being off due to covid or now maybe snow in the mix too.

Health and wellbeing more important but cant imagine their poor wee faces if dont get this time 

Hope u feel better soon Puffy and get something interesting to watch out that window.

Edited by edo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

When I went to bed last night, there was a frost on the cars in the street and temperature of -0.6c. Woke up at back of 5 as I was plottin (Doric term for roasting) to find that the temperature had risen gradually until 2.30am then jumped over 3c in the space of just under an hour, coinciding with increased wind speeds. Temperature dropped back slightly but rising aga8n and currently 6.1c.

Hope you’re getting your grapes peeled for you Puffy and the oxygen levels return to nearer normal for you soon.

Edited by Sanserit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

No sign of milder conditions up Peterhead today, 5°C but the wind making it feel much colder. The project completes on the 22nd. Can't wait to see the back of the place, it's been cool/cold since October.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Ongoing grey calm here, sun came yesterdsy for about 20 mins and that was the high point of the day. No frost.

Husband had an attack of kidney stones Sunday night, I had to get Bordoc out. Is now poorly and feeling sorry for himself, district nurse coming today I think. Will send her over to you @Puffy MacCloud when she's finished

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

A stiff breeze here with light, horizontal rain and ridiculously high temperature of 11.5c. Horrible day! Improvement ahead which will be very welcome! Take it easy Puffy, you need to look after yourself! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

The view from the window today hardly merits a report, but here goes anyway. It’s dreich. Very dull, occasional showers and signs of a fairly fresh breeze. Already getting dark. But, @edo, that doesn’t mean there’s nothing worth watching. I have a machine here that extracts oxygen out of the air around it and it’s turned up to such a level that it’s starting to have an effect outside my cottage where an oxygen vacuum has resulted and dogs and small children are going wobbly-legged as they try to pass in the street. Parents are starting to look a bit threatening. I think I may be pulled up in front of the Witchfinder General before too long.

• Like 5

Posted

Mostly cloudy damp and mild day. Nothing Exciting. I see something brewing cold wise in the future though...............

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

the models continue to take steps towards a cold outcome, still too early for confidence as to a snowy spell..... here we can see as early as 23rd the cold air start to flow towards us. I am almost at 80 per cent confidence it will be cold and seasonal for xmas day which is remarkable this far out. Thats mainly because everything says high pressure over us at that point....always a risk could be gloomy but im quietly confident.

Could do with kirkcaldy, ravelin, catch, LS, SS, etc giving some views ... lorenzo too and where is Mr Frost and Hairy Celt.... really hope they are ok.

funny story puffy made me laugh

Screenshot 2021-12-14 22.38.03.png

• Like 3

Posted

11°C at 0345 has provided an opportunity to air the house ahead of colder temperatures returning this evening. Hopefully no burglars creeping about in the shrubbery  

Potential for ice days, for some, over the weekend. After that, fingers crossed.

NWS over in the MOD thread mentioned this tweet this morning:

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted

Lovely couple of days and dare I say springlike in terms of temperature - currently 11.4c after an overnight low of 9.8c!

Plenty of sunshine outside at the moment, feeling very nice indeed thanks to the light winds.

Lovely sunrise this morning, matching the nice sunset that we had yesterday (moon was particularly luminescent for some reason)....

1536439484_sun(1).thumb.jpg.2f19cd7b3f57f02da4d65494cf358a77.jpg

moon.thumb.jpg.7fd0c58e18a550ba4aaf0aa5bf7ab72f.jpg

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 6

Posted

I have started a wee weather competition in another thread (yes we can have multiple Scottish threads now!) - go take a look if you fancy a bit of fun:

• Like 4