Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

Sleet?!?!? Where!?!?! 

Oldmeldrum toward Rothienorman in a very heavy burst, very dark and temo dropped from 4c to 2c.. sun is back out now..

• Like 1

Posted

Shiver me timbers was a sunny day shocker! I suspect it won't be the same tomorrow

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Thanks @Hairy Celtand @Puffy MacCloud, definitely looking forward to the history will ensure your suggestions are on our list. Think we're pretty much next door to The Tomb of the Eagles. Mr Snowidea loves that sort of stuff and I'm quite keen, but for me the thing I'm looking forward to most is the puffins. 

• Like 2

Posted

Like Gordon Brown's occasional emergence from his crypt, I looked at the models today and I'm wide awake. Go look. Whilst it's probably more of a meh than a miracle, at least there's something potentially interesting on the horizon.... Ski centre delivery Sunday? Widespread white hills Friday? 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
7 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Like Gordon Brown's occasional emergence from his crypt, I looked at the models today and I'm wide awake. Go look. Whilst it's probably more of a meh than a miracle, at least there's something potentially interesting on the horizon.... Ski centre delivery Sunday? Widespread white hills Friday? 

I said to look toward Greenland but I'd thought it would be a high looks like cool - cold zonality which we've seen deliver snowy fun in the last few years, will just be great to have some weather to discuss after this non descript pattern we have been in for what feels like all of January 

Little thing to note the northeastern USA is going to get a big time snow maker through the next few days (possibly more through next week) so hopefully that isn't a trouble maker for our potentially chillier weather 

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather
1 hour ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I said to look toward Greenland but I'd thought it would be a high looks like cool - cold zonality which we've seen deliver snowy fun in the last few years, will just be great to have some weather to discuss after this non descript pattern we have been in for what feels like all of January 

Little thing to note the northeastern USA is going to get a big time snow maker through the next few days (possibly more through next week) so hopefully that isn't a trouble maker for our potentially chillier weather 

Yes have been enjoying the slightly hysterical weather reporters on the USA weather channel re the coming Nor Easterly, great fun

• Like 4

Posted

Started off at 4c this morning with a few sharp showers clearing to bright breezy afternoon. Ben Wyvis has fresh cap of snow.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, shuggee said:

Is he dead? I thought he was just miserable. Strange to think he was PM only a few years ago. The forgotten one.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

I thought I’d jinxed the sunshine after I mentioned it earlier when the breeze swung round to northwesterly, the cloud swept in and a sharp rain shower ensued. However, ten minutes later, the cloud and rain blew away, the sun came out again and a nice day was regained.

High temperature for today was 8.9⁰C at 13:31 falling to a low of 4.2⁰C at 20:15 and now 5.0⁰C, humidity is 89%, no wind now but a maximum gust of 14mph at 02:17, pressure I 1031.6hPa rising slowly, there’s been 0.6mm of rain in the last 24 hours, cloud cover is currently 2/8 and the dew point is at 3⁰C.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Surprised there isn't a yellow warning out for Saturday morning yet, 50-60mph being forecast through the central belt and 70mph + across the north.

Edited by Ross90
  • Like 5

Posted
8 hours ago, Ross90 said:

Surprised there isn't a yellow warning out for Saturday morning yet, 50-60mph being forecast through the central belt and 70mph + across the north.

I think they heard you as there is now a full weekend of wind warnings  It's certainly a bit more exciting than endless low cloud and drizzle I guess!  

• Like 7

Posted

Back to reality/normality.

Aberdeenshire Permagloom™ in all its finery...

image.thumb.png.4936f7b1491beb3c50470a501a3418c9.png

Currently 7c with intermittent light rain; light to moderate WSW winds.

Three days worth of wind warnings starting tomorrow, I wonder if that is more to do with the precarious condition of a lot of the woodlands round here than anything else.  Profitable times for tree surgeons...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

O god I hate wind events - too many bloody trees down here, I miss the moorland

• Like 5

Posted
15 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

After paying  £640/tonne for fertliser just a week ago twice last years price coffers are a bit empty but yes you are correct massive soil erosion in this country too now with continuous cereals ( monoculture) all being encouraged by agronomists /college advisors and accountants although this year the  astronomical cost increases may result in changes for the better.Posted a picture of gully erosion a few pages back and in the spring  we have our sandstorms on the lighter soils near the coast in lower Moray and Nairn so soil erosion is a major problem here too.  Very wndy here today but dry .

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

They' ve read my thoughts I was just coming to comment that we may need amber wind warnings, image.thumb.png.00b31a23cbcdbc2b7af75928258a974f.png also the strong winds look to hit over toward @mistyqueen first before moving over to the east image.thumb.png.ebd2ce058a1255ad3e8e6caf79f6c7de.pngimage.thumb.png.27ca6f9d0b699e326a7cec5aa7745601.pngimage.thumb.png.c37e8464e30e157cbd7960fc55decf63.pngimage.thumb.png.05acc072382605a0a050e2cb573197ca.png rough guess I will say 65-75mph over a wide area and we seen those whites on the wind gust charts with Arwen which if they are over land (50/50 chances I'd say) are the ones nearer 90-100mph 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
26 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

They' ve read my thoughts I was just coming to comment that we may need amber wind warnings, image.thumb.png.00b31a23cbcdbc2b7af75928258a974f.png also the strong winds look to hit over toward @mistyqueen first before moving over to the east image.thumb.png.ebd2ce058a1255ad3e8e6caf79f6c7de.pngimage.thumb.png.27ca6f9d0b699e326a7cec5aa7745601.pngimage.thumb.png.c37e8464e30e157cbd7960fc55decf63.pngimage.thumb.png.05acc072382605a0a050e2cb573197ca.png rough guess I will say 65-75mph over a wide area and we seen those whites on the wind gust charts with Arwen which if they are over land (50/50 chances I'd say) are the ones nearer 90-100mph 

Named Storm Malik by Danish Met.   

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Got torches looked out and batteries charged up ready for the onslaught tomorrow. Was planning to head down to see family tomorrow but have put it off till another day. Quite blustery here just now but tomorrow morning is going to be helluva lot worse. Take care out there folks, could be a nasty one! ?️

• Like 6

Posted
49 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Named Storm Malik by Danish Met.   

It's almost like as soon as another Met Org names a storm, our Meto then upgrade to amber. They seem so adverse to using the system...

• Like 3

Posted

Fairly windy here just no

2 hours ago, Quinach said:

Back to reality/normality.

Aberdeenshire Permagloom™ in all its finery...

image.thumb.png.4936f7b1491beb3c50470a501a3418c9.png

Currently 7c with intermittent light rain; light to moderate WSW winds.

Three days worth of wind warnings starting tomorrow, I wonder if that is more to do with the precarious condition of a lot of the woodlands round here than anything else.  Profitable times for tree surgeons...

Wind getting stronger here this evening and when I was down next to a wood where neeps are you could here the trees creaking with several now exposed swaying wildly in the wind. Yes there will be a lot more damage to come if we get 3 days of this.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well at least after Storm Arwen and 4 days with no electricity we're well versed in how to survive with no power. Plenty of wood left for the burner, matches for the gas hob, buckets to draw water from the well/cistern, torches charged. I'd rather not need any of that though, but nice to have sone weather to talk about for a change. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

A year ago today my father died of Covid so I took my mother out for lunch, just to keep her occupied. One of my brothers and his wife joined us and, having not been able to attend the funeral because of shielding, I asked what had happened to the ashes. “I’ve got him,” says the bold boy, “in the bottom of my wardrobe.” “How long are you planning to keep him there?” “Until I get my new shoes, then he’ll have to go.” “Oh right.” None the wiser. Lunch was okay, the drive there and back less so. Dull drizzly breezy stuff and it appears it’s a bit premature yet for me to be getting in and out of the car and walking across a car park, although I think it was having to give my mother a boost with my shoulder under her bahoochie to get her into the Land Rover that did me in. Which is unfortunate because I’ll be repeating the operation on Sunday at bold boy’s birthday lunch in Eaglesham. Assuming I’ve caught my breath by then. Either way I’ll take the comfy car.

• Like 8