Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

Large parts of Aberdeenshire still without power and by the looks of the damage near here no prospect of it coming back on anytime soon. 

Luckily our power was only off briefly but is does always surprise me how unprepared many people are. Power cuts in rural areas aren't exactly unprecedented yet some people don't even have some candles or an alternative way of heating hot food and drinks. Being entirely reliant on one source that's carried by overhead lines is just asking for trouble. 

• Like 8

Posted

as expected the drizzly misty stuff is heading back in still quite cold just not as cold as it has been. Hopefully a not too long warmer blip

• Like 6

Posted
8 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

There won't have been much other first weeks of winter that were looking like this surely, have been signals of high pressure wanting to build over Scandi but its the most notoriously difficult pressure pattern to model, mightily impressive whether it happens or not mind UN144-7.thumb.gif.1d700853a291a1874c0dd8884b5c7df5.gif

I see the madhouse has gone into complete meltdown . I’ll do my usual and wait until it’s all at t+72 before getting too excited !

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A slow rise in temperature all day and now at a balmy 6C. A frosty start then a damp morning. Some brightness this afternoon. Power in this area now back on though there are bits up in Highland Perthshire still out. Only signs of the storm locally now are a couple of fences down in the North facing street round the corner.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Today wasn’t really much of a day at all. More of a short, slightly less dark bit in between two nights.

Temperature is now the highest of the day at 9.3⁰C, humidity is 94%, wind is 1 to 6mph westerly with a maximum gust of 10mph at 18:09, pressure is 1007.1hPa steady, there’s now been 2.6mm of rainfall today and the sky is dark but I’m assuming still 8/8 overcast.

• Like 7

Posted

20211128_095212.thumb.jpg.de934e64d66f6eb49cf8b030b4e0bfc4.jpg

On 28/11/2021 at 22:23, Northernlights said:

A nice calm wintry day with a few flurries this morning to be followed by a sunny afternoon with a maximum temperature of 3c.

Early am a lot of  snow covered hills across the Firth to the north. 1.

Late afternoon with one  of my favourite winter views of a fading northerly airstream  with snow showers to the NE over the North Sea.Great to see at the end of November. 20211128_152337(1).thumb.jpg.e2f861f70abb305844c5af549fe13adb.jpg

Just adding the missing photo looking north over the Firth. 1.

• Like 6

Posted

Parts of Banchory lost water again last night but have it back once more, the Inchmarlo retirement village lost power on Friday night and are still without. What makes it worse for them is that before covid, the residents would have been able to go to the big house for meals etc but to keep the most vulnerable residents in the nursing home safe, that’s not allowed now. Our local gym have been fantastic and since they got their water and power restored have been cooking and delivering hot meals to the residents of the houses.

The journey to work in Stonehaven has been an eye opener tho with the number of wooded areas looking like they’ve been clear felled. Still not managed to drive over the Slug road tho as there were still a couple of trees causing problems but they’ve been dealt with today I believe.

Thankful for how lucky I’ve been over the course of the last few days compared to many on Deeside however.

Weather today is just meh, chilly, damp and dreich.

• Like 9

Posted

You can pick up a 2kVA generator for a few hundred pounds. That would be enough power to run the central heating pump and some lights. Existing wiring at the electrical consumer units would have to be modified and a changeover switch fitted but that's not a huge cost. If you're self employed or Ltd Company, you could put all the costs through as a business expense.

This is the route I'm going down  

When storm Frodo rocks up  I'll be prepared.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Sat I car just outside Alford for 4G signal as we hit the 4 full days without power milestone. Still managing to keep warm and fed and even got a shower yesterday at friends in Kemnay, as they got power back on Sun eve. 

We had lying snow for a couple of days, most probably around 3 to 4cm on Sunday evening. Milder now so all gone except for where it was piled up. 

Hopefully power will be back soon and I can catch up with how every one else fared. 

• Like 8