Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

I dont think the swear filter would cope with my description of the weather here this morning...

Its the tattie holidays up here and it looks like a washout for the most of it..

And the price of heating oil ? wow 57p a litre . Extra thick jumpers and socks it is then.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Today is dull, overcast, mild and calm. That’s all I have to say on the matter.

Temperature currently the high for the day at 13.8⁰C up from a low of 10.9⁰C at midnight, humidity is 95%, wind is 0 to 5mph south-southeasterly, pressure is 1008.5hPa rising slowly, there’s been 7.8mm of rain today and 15.8mm in the last 24 hours, and cloud cover is a heavy 8/8.

• Like 4

Posted

True definition of a autumn day to say the least. Misty drizzly not that warm either although not too cold

Edited by NUT
  • Like 2

Posted

The constant drizzle today was so fine that it didn’t seem to reach the ground but hung about just waiting for you to walk through it, and then it soaked you.

Highest temperature was 14.4⁰C at 12:54, humidity was 93% to 95% all day, highest gust of wind was 7mph southeasterly at 15:00, pressure is now 1010.7hPa rising slowly, there’s been 10.6mm of rain today and 14.4mm in the last 24 hours and cloud cover was stuck at 8/8 throughout.

• Like 4

Posted

One of those days when you start looking at emigration sites for countries with proper well defined seasons (looking at you Canada et al...).

God awful grade A+++ Scottish smirr all day, leaving everything dripping wet.  Not cold, with a max of 13c and still 10.5c at the moment.  Calm conditions.

Better hope the weather is not like this for COP26, it will inspire the politicians to do even less about climate change when anything is better than today's offering!

• Like 5

Posted

"dreich"

ADJECTIVE

SCOTTISH

(especially of weather) dreary; bleak.

"a cold, dreich early April day"

synonyms:

boring · monotonous · dull · deadly dull · uninteresting · unexciting · unvaried · unvarying · lacking variety · mind-numbing · mindless · soul-destroying · soulless · humdrum · dreary · ho-hum · mundane · wearisome · wearying · tiresome

• Like 3

Posted

And here's the evidence backing up the above posts! Uninspiring walking high forest tracks when this is as good as it gets:

PXL_20211017_140217978.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

A good old Glasgow downpour today.

Those COP26 delegates and visitors don’t know what they’re letting themselves in for….

• Like 4

Posted

Today is mainly about rain. Not the constant, floating smirr of yesterday, but proper falling drops of rain. Strange thing is, it’s coming from all directions; sometimes hitting the windows at the front of the house, sometimes the back, sometimes slanted north to south and sometimes south to north. Currently not raining but it’s not far away.

Temperature 14.1⁰C high for the day up from a low of 12.3⁰C at 11:20, humidity is 88%, wind 2 to 13mph sort of southerly right now, pressure is 1005.0hPa falling slowly, there’s been 6.0mm of rain today and 9.2mm in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 8/8.

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
spelling
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
On 17/10/2021 at 10:08, Sanserit said:

What a miserable morning to wake up to!  I know, I know, the water tables probably need it, but still…  

Temperature reading 7.8c, up from an overnight low of 6.3c and so far, we’ve had 12.7mm of rain since midnight.

I spent the weekend in Upper Deeside near Ballater and have to confess the weather was miserable. Dreich being the appropriate word. Took some photos but all they show is mist and rain or drizzle. These from Glen Muick this morning were about as clear as it got. Edit. The second one has come out sideways!

7EA2BC75-EA29-4052-B26F-B129BDD6CF26.jpeg

A862BAA5-C8FB-489B-B8FF-67DBC2D4A497.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Posted

Morning folks! All change in here! New Scottish site looks great. I hope you are all well. Looking forward to being back on here a little more regularly over the coming months. 

• Like 7

Posted

Always a pleasure to see ya Bungle!

Just on the new layout and area for the Scottish thread - we now have the ability to start and develop separate threads on topics/themes much like the main forum. So if anyone has a particular focus or idea they are interested in discussing separately and in a dedicated thread to keep the discussion in one place,  please feel free to start one here:

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/192-scottish-weather-discussion/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It’s raining now, it was raining earlier and it’s forecast to rain later, maybe with thunder, but that’s not the news. It’s nearly 15⁰C in the second half of October! In Scotland! Unbefaffinglievable!

Temperature currently the high for the day at 14.8⁰C up from a low of 11.8⁰C at 02:43, humidity is 92%, wind is 2 to 7mph southerly, pressure is 997.8hPa and plummeting like a rock, there’s been 4.0mm of rain so far today and cloud cover is a heavy 8/8.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Maybe a rumble later for some of us?

Screenshot_20211019-111517_Facebook.thumb.jpg.afa5f065f10753fef5d6602659877c35.jpg

There looks to be a few hour window, I’ve been focused on Glasgow for a day or so normally you’d want to see clearing and the sun to fire the cells but might be enough instability anyway plus that jet is screaming I’d not be ruling out funnels or tornado opportunities (with vorticity and some shear also there) should those cells get going animtis2.gifimage.thumb.png.43b88beab086a53d51fc20048cdc9ce5.png

Then there’s the cold front which could bring snow to parts of higher ground of the north west main focus more highlands especially Cairngorms and maybe some flakes on the back edge as it goes over @shuggees

• Like 5

Posted

Ireland started to kick off there it looks like so who knows  Still grey here but ridiculously mild

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Hi folks

just a wee query - I just got a notification that I earned a new 'badge' for starting a conversation ( I haven't). I clicked on it and apparently I I have created a community map marker for my profile (I haven't) based in Lochaber, Guyana!!!  Any thoughts??.

It's very, very dreich here in Lochaber, Scotland btw

Edited by snawbaw
  • Like 2

Posted

We've got thunder overhead here as that band moves in, more than the summer...  

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Ah, come on now, 15.3c at 7.30am! No Ta! Temp hasn't gone down much either, currently at 14c. Cooler from Thursday onwards, thankfully! 

• Like 2

Posted
On 19/10/2021 at 16:33, snawbaw said:

Hi folks

just a wee query - I just got a notification that I earned a new 'badge' for starting a conversation ( I haven't). I clicked on it and apparently I I have created a community map marker for my profile (I haven't) based in Lochaber, Guyana!!!  Any thoughts??.

It's very, very dreich here in Lochaber, Scotland btw

Will investigate! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
On 19/10/2021 at 19:59, shuggee said:

Will investigate! 

Even thunder Snow possible ☺️

Posted

There was no more rain after lunchtime and the forecast thunder didn’t materialise, but the temperature kept climbing and reached 16.4⁰C by 16:50. Humidity has dropped to a low of 87% now and pressure is now steady at 995.7hPa having got down to 995.2hPa at 20:15. Maximum gust of wind today was 17mph southwesterly at 21:47. I’m assuming that cloud cover is still at 8/8, as it has been for days it seems, but it’s dark now so I don’t know for sure.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Posted

Another day of Aberdeenshire Permagloom with just the briefest glimpse of sunshine in the early afternoon.  This definitely wasn't helped by the photos sent by my daughter who is currently sunning herself in Cyprus...even if she did experience the earthquake that hit the Eastern Med early this morning.

Maximum of 16.6c today after an overnight low of 12.7c.  Currently 14.4c and I'm really not rating the mild nights now that I've got the heavier weight duvet on the bed.

• Like 5