Cold?
IGNORED

Early run up to Winter 2021/2022 discussion

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
8 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

John Smith!

Really, @Beanz? From a tory-supporting tabloid toilet-roll?! I think it's just the usual idiocy from Nathan Rao!

I wasn’t referring to the paper themselves being politically motivated, I meant from the Govt. using the weather as a political tool - sorry, my response wasn’t clear.  

Im not particularly bothered about the political bias when it comes to discussing the weather though, irrelevant.  ??

Edited by Beanz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
7 hours ago, Simon M said:

To be fair to the Express (lol), the top front page (Worst Freeze for 20 Years) dated January 2013 wasn't completely off the mark, since that late winter and early spring were very cold.  That was probably an example of a stopped clock being right once a day though.

To be fair.....a broken clock is right twice a day.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm going to plump for a front-loaded winter because we are due one eventually. Law of averages and all that. 

I remember 2011-12 - I think there was some snow in December in the run up to Xmas.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

So the newspapers appear to be going for -

Massive snowfall, gridlock, weeks of blizzards.
Mild winter with next to no cold. 

It is an interesting mix, almost like the majority of papers are owned by the same few people and get different papers to run different stories...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!

Does anyone have links for 2021's achieved SST Anomaly images? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
5 hours ago, Premier Neige said:

To be fair.....a broken clock is right twice a day.

I was thinking of digital clocks.  You may have heard of them...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I'm going for a 2010 style winter which will be over by January the 8th, and smarch will be sweltering with outbreaks of queen wasps.

Posted

Didn’t read this in the UK tabloids, I mean papers, but posting anyway as it’s a weather forum

La NINA is now even more certain to deepen and this helps back up a more active jet stream exit from North America to our locale on the average. So NAO positive. However doesn’t discount the odd buckle and block and of course the possibility of SSW delivering something cold in NW Europe, but that’s not able to be foreseen really. All we can say is the upstream North American weather is very likely to be as the long range models predict.

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 18/10/2021 at 19:37, Downburst said:

Didn’t read this in the UK tabloids, I mean papers, but posting anyway as it’s a weather forum

La NINA is now even more certain to deepen and this helps back up a more active jet stream exit from North America to our locale on the average. So NAO positive. However doesn’t discount the odd buckle and block and of course the possibility of SSW delivering something cold in NW Europe, but that’s not able to be foreseen really. All we can say is the upstream North American weather is very likely to be as the long range models predict.

image.png

We don’t want it below -1. Anywhere between there and 0 is workable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
6 hours ago, mpkio2 said:

Does anyone have links for 2021's achieved SST Anomaly images? 

Metociel’s SST charts have an archive function here:

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel vous propose une carte d'analyse des températures de l'eau de la mer autour des côtes françaises (SST France)

Sorry doesn’t seem to have embedded the link properly, but you can find on Meteociel under ‘Temperature mer’ on the left hand side.  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Metociel’s SST charts have an archive function here:

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel vous propose une carte d'analyse des températures de l'eau de la mer autour des côtes françaises (SST France)

Sorry doesn’t seem to have embedded the link properly, but you can find on Meteociel under ‘Temperature mer’ on the left hand side.  

Definitely not "temperature merd" though!  

Posted
12 hours ago, Azazel said:

I'm going to plump for a front-loaded winter because we are due one eventually. Law of averages and all that. 

I remember 2011-12 - I think there was some snow in December in the run up to Xmas.

2011-12 was a mild one out of the 2007-12 era. The Christmas period was the mildest.

Posted
10 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

2011-12 was a mild one out of the 2007-12 era. The Christmas period was the mildest.

Must've been 2012-13

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

We will get a bit of frost in December and that will be that. That will be our winter. I'm expecting this winter to be a write off. 

Posted

Dit betekent dat we in de loop van de maanden november, december en januari een weertype moeten gaan krijgen met vaak hogedrukgebieden in het hoge noorden. Dat kan zowel in de buurt van IJsland en Groenland als boven Scandinavië zijn. met winden vaak uit richtingen tussen noord en oost en kansen op enkele uitbraken van arctische lucht. Is de wind noordelijk, dan kan het regelmatig tot neerslag (sneeuw) komen (zoals ook in december 2010), heeft de wind meer een oostelijke component, dan is het vaker droog en kan ook de zon er mooi doorkomen.

Risico’s
Risico’s zijn er ook. Het kan bijvoorbeeld gebeuren dat de poolwervel, die nu een zwakke fase ingaat, zich in de novembermaand herstelt, leidend tot een herstel van de westcirculatie op termijn met dan een toenemende wisselvalligheid en een doorbraak van zacht weer. Een ander risico is het doorbreken van een scenario a la de winter van 1963, met een langdurig geblokkeerde situatie en in dat geval bijzonder koud winterweer in een groot deel van Europa. De kans op een doorbrekende westcirculatie wordt vooralsnog op 25 procent ingeschat, de kans op het koudste scenario op 20 procent. Het hiervoor beschreven scenario heeft 55 procent kans, zo denkt WCS. https://www.weer.nl/nieuws/2021/vroege-winterverwachting-koud-en-droog

--------------

Winter 2020 forecast by World Climate Service. They expect a cold, dry winter for NW-Europe. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, sundog said:

We will get a bit of frost in December and that will be that. That will be our winter. I'm expecting this winter to be a write off. 

Don't forget the frost returning in April!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am hoping for some nice crisp, frosty days with blue skies. I shan't hold my breath though as quite often when we get high pressure during the winter months, it leads to anticyclonic gloom conditions instead. But here's hoping anyway as you just never know!

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
2 hours ago, sundog said:

Ooh, that's something to look forward to; how lucky we will be......

Anything but endless wet & windy please.....Weather that is 'usable' for outdoor activities.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
20 hours ago, lassie23 said:

I'm going for a 2010 style winter which will be over by January the 8th, and smarch will be sweltering with outbreaks of queen wasps.

To be fair 2010/11 wasn't quite over until Feb 1st, the second half of Jan was mostly cold and dry though the first half was wet and somewhat mild. We then regressed into late autumn for a few weeks before spring arrived at the end of February and summer by mid-April. And autumn by June...

Edited by Summer8906
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
2 hours ago, HafrenLMP1 said:

Ooh, that's something to look forward to; how lucky we will be......

Anything but endless wet & windy please.....Weather that is 'usable' for outdoor activities.

Drier and sunnier than normal with average temps, and one notable snow event, lying on the ground for around a week - plus many frosts in Dec/Jan but a milder and still sunny Feb would be ideal.

Preceded by a November that's half sunny and unusually warm, and half sunny and frosty.

Gut feeling, though, is mild and wet Jan (because it always seems to happen in even years - completely unscientific I know) with a colder end; a colder December than of late with frequent frosty and sunny weather, and a Feb which has a mix of mild and cold spells.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

looking at the latest set of winter charts and the ENSO the only place in the Northern Hemisphere predicted to get a colder than average winter is...yep you guessed it is Canada..particularly Western Canada

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Drier and sunnier than normal with average temps, and one notable snow event, lying on the ground for around a week - plus many frosts in Dec/Jan but a milder and still sunny Feb would be ideal.

Preceded by a November that's half sunny and unusually warm, and half sunny and frosty.

Gut feeling, though, is mild and wet Jan (because it always seems to happen in even years - completely unscientific I know) with a colder end; a colder December than of late with frequent frosty and sunny weather, and a Feb which has a mix of mild and cold spells.

January 2010 a big exception! 

Posted

here's my tongue cheek winter predictions

pre winter November, showers of tattered vortex posts, and 2010 references

early January, a storm of posts noting that 63 was a back loaded winter

end of Feb. a fog of posts declaring winter isn't over until the equinox.

middle of March, a supercell of reminders that snow is more likely at Easter, than Christmas. 

I was going to include Winter is over posts, but that would be in late summer 

Edited by RJBingham
  • Like 5

Posted
On 17/10/2021 at 20:18, Wold Topper said:

The Express

Yes, the xenophobic BS on one of those front pages is perhaps the prime thing that makes the Express only worthy of toilet roll material - if that.

I am amazed they are using Celsius though. The Express are normally obsessed with Fahrenheit - because anything which was widely adopted after 1970 in the UK is automatically evil and subversive in their eyes. I'm amazed they haven't tried to bring the non-decimal pound back.

And as for the mild winter thing - well it will make the Government's hole they've dug for themselves a little less deep. So of course they are going to promote it. Might happen, but might not.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 4