Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 5th Sept 21 onwards

Posted
On 30/09/2021 at 07:33, Jamie M said:

Benefits to being ill I suppose. Always up early for sunsets like this!

image.thumb.png.7464ccfc59da707a2814205d16ef2718.png

Hope your better soon mate ,you could always stay up late to watch the sun rise as well lol

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
On 30/09/2021 at 07:41, TN9 said:

Hope your better soon mate ,you could always stay up late to watch the sun rise as well lol

Thanks mate. Nasty old cold this, nose all clogged and throat has seen better days. Don't think I'll have a choice in the matter of staying up or not. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 30/09/2021 at 07:48, Jamie M said:

Thanks mate. Nasty old cold this, nose all clogged and throat has seen better days. Don't think I'll have a choice in the matter of staying up or not. 

If you could sum up today in two words...how would you explain it ..not fuel,or covid ,just weather wise..?

I

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
On 30/09/2021 at 16:57, TN9 said:

If you could sum up today in two words...how would you explain it ..not fuel,or covid ,just weather wise..?

I

Omnipresent muck

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

And we've officially hit the day I consider putting the heating on. Will hold out for a bit longer I think.

Posted

Once again the rain didnt really reach here, maybe the odd light drop or two around half 5 but not even enough to half wet the ground. Been a strongish breeze and temp  around 15-16c today.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Once again the rain didnt really reach here, maybe the odd light drop or two around half 5 but not even enough to half wet the ground. Been a strongish breeze and temp  around 15-16c today.  

I don't think I've ever seen so much brown grass before, at this time of year? Still nice and warm, though?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

With only 2 hours to go before the end of September, my weather station has recorded 49.8mm this month.  Significant percentage of which has fallen since Monday.  

1133385903_Septemberrainfall.thumb.png.9dd4571d8d430441063d7d46b47cb7d1.png

Max temp today 17C  at 13:22 currently 16C

Humidity currently 86%

Wind: 13 mph average 2 min speed 11.0 and over 10 minutes 10.0

Pressure: 1011.9hPa falling slowly

Today's rain 1mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
5 hours ago, Lauren said:

And we've officially hit the day I consider putting the heating on. Will hold out for a bit longer I think.

Having the chimney swept tomorrow and can honestly see myself needing to light the wood burner tomorrow night! I've been really chilly for the last few days!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Darkcloud said:

Having the chimney swept tomorrow and can honestly see myself needing to light the wood burner tomorrow night! I've been really chilly for the last few days!

Lucky you having yours done tomorrow!!  Mine can't be done until third week in October ?‍♀️  Have asked him to do it any day and time if he gets a cancellation in the meantime.  

Posted
11 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I don't think I've ever seen so much brown grass before, at this time of year? Still nice and warm, though?

Plenty warm enough for me, bring on the cold  

Windy this morning, temp 15c at 7am, rain allegedly incoming....... plants, grass, rivers etc could all do with a bit, not a deluge, but a bit.

Edited by Blazerblue
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
43 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Plenty warm enough for me, bring on the cold  

Windy this morning, temp 15c at 7am, rain allegedly incoming....... plants, grass, rivers etc could all do with a bit, not a deluge, but a bit.

Well, I'll be skipping off to work very soon. But, it's so warm outside I'd rather get wet than wear a jacket. Not that I've worn a jacket since March, anyhow!

image.png.8f448eee98e3246dd758704dd5851d4f.png

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 3

Posted

We are now in the heavy band of rain sweeping eastwards, but its not hanging around and should clear through soon enough, but we have actual puddles, might just have to revert to childhood and go splashing as I walk the dogs at lunchtime  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

I am not looking forward to tomorrow. Tomorrow Chelmsford City entertain Enfield Town in the FA Cup. I am City's Safety Officer as well as a volunteer steward and have to be at the ground by midday to ready the ground for the match. As we lease the ground from the City Council  and have a running track circling the pitch that means we have to place matting across the track so that footballers' boots do not damage it as well as fencing to direct them onto the pitch. We also have to install fencing for each match to  behind both goals to direct spectators across the running track to the stands behind the goals. That completed we then have to bring to pitch side portable dugouts to ground anchor to secure them. With tomorrow's weather forecast of heavy rain and very strong, gusty winds the installation of matting fencing and dugouts will be very challenging to put it mildly. Also in spite of being anchored down the design of the dugouts makes them very aero-dynamic and are prone to pull the anchors out of their concreted housings.

I usually look forward to matchdays but tomorrow is an exception. What is the likelihood of the forecast being over pessimistic?

Kind Regards

Dave 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
15 hours ago, Soaring Hawk said:

Lucky you having yours done tomorrow!!  Mine can't be done until third week in October ?‍♀️  Have asked him to do it any day and time if he gets a cancellation in the meantime.  

Oh no! That's a long wait! Is there no one else in your area who could do it sooner? Think we'll be needing our woodburners/fires more than ever this year what with the gas price hike. Just watch the price of logs go up now!

Posted
31 minutes ago, Darkcloud said:

Oh no! That's a long wait! Is there no one else in your area who could do it sooner? Think we'll be needing our woodburners/fires more than ever this year what with the gas price hike. Just watch the price of logs go up now!

I clean my own and have done so for many years. Straightforward and not overly messy - I have a woodburner and an open fire - both have metal flues which makes cleaning even easier.

Saves £££ with lots of free logs from the many trees in my garden (all set aside in various woodpiles for at least 2-3 years to dry out).

A set of brushes will set you back about £40 and there are even online videos to tell you how to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Looking like a decent period of wind for coastal East Sussex tomorrow evening... Seems like the general consensus among models is 60mph+ around here! I reckon a walk along the seafront will be in order.

• Like 4

Posted
5 hours ago, Darkcloud said:

My sweep rang this morning to say he can bring it forward to 19th October - every little helps as the saying goes.  He's done my chimneys for several years and a trustworthy, tidy chap who keeps his prices  reasonable, not charging extra even though he has to drive nearly 15 miles to get to the house.  There aren't many sweeps in my area and I struggled to find one willing to do ours.   He assured me today that it's perfectly safe to light the woodburner before his visit as there's never much soot because I burn only very seasoned wood and keep it at the optimum temperature for a clean burn.   Gold star for me then  

Agree that fires and woodburners could be used more this winter because of energy costs - and suspect that reliable weather super computer Sod's Law modelling to accurately predict a cold, icy, snowy winter lasting into 3rd week of April.  Have therefore followed that helpful Minister Granted Shipps advice who said there's no shortage of anything, supply is normal, nothing is closed and all we need to do is stick to our usual buying patterns.  Have therefore stuck to my usual log buying pattern to get sufficient to last through the entire winter and into early summer when I  give the woodburner its usual summer holiday.   Have even taken a turkey, an HGV licence and some petrol off this year's Christmas list to jolly well do my bit.  

4 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I clean my own and have done so for many years. Straightforward and not overly messy - I have a woodburner and an open fire - both have metal flues which makes cleaning even easier.

Saves £££ with lots of free logs from the many trees in my garden (all set aside in various woodpiles for at least 2-3 years to dry out).

A set of brushes will set you back about £40 and there are even online videos to tell you how to do it.

Well done you Kiwi and full of respect for doing own cleaning.  I'm not sure we're as practical as you sound though.  I've been seasoning wood from a Rowan tree we cut down 3 years ago but not yet started to use it.    We had some weather today, before I get a Mod's black mark..

Max temperature 18C at 12.32.  Currently 10C.  Humidity now at 75%.

Wind: SW 1 mph with average over 2 mins = 1.2 and over 10 minutes 1.4mph

Pressure: 1010.9hPa rising slowly

Today's weather highlight: sunshine and with an early evening autumnal crispness for the dog walk.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Been a nice autumn days weather here, heavy frontal rain briefly in the morning followed by a couple heavy showers, then nice warm sunshine in the afternoon/evening and a chilly night, reached 17c in the sunny spells now currently 9c. Good birthday weather.

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
40 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Been a nice autumn days weather here, heavy frontal rain briefly in the morning followed by a couple heavy showers, then nice warm sunshine in the afternoon/evening and a chilly night, reached 17c in the sunny spells now currently 9c. Good birthday weather.

Hope you had a good day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
3 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Hope you had a good day!

I did thank you, after work 

• Like 1

Posted

19mm of rain here today, the most in one day for a while.

Down to 9.8c at the moment, though I expect that’ll rise ahead of the rain tomorrow.