Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 5th Sept 21 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Was an incredible amount of rain over the last few hours…. Stopped here in the Surrey hills about an hour ago, one big rumble of thunder…looks like it’s pivoting in the radar for a second shot and then dropping SE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Currently the heaviest rain is staying nicely south of the border in Suffolk, just on the edge of some light rain atm. 22mm this morning plus another 3mm from the odd passing shower this afternoon, quite enough to be going on with. 

Posted

A lot of rain had 17mm last night and since 9pm I’ve had a further 26mm so 43mm in last 25 hours. Really quite something, very wet year here in London I had double my average summer rainfall and reached annual average in August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Wind has really perked up in the last half hour, along with the rain.

Hope all those in flood risk areas are ok. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
4 hours ago, Soaring Hawk said:

This is much further north than was shown on 6pm forecast and explains the unexpected heavy rain here.  Weather station keeps reporting 'its raining cats and dogs'  Pressure now 987.8hPa and still falling rapidly.  Was off to my bed but might stay awake just to watch the pressure falling; its fascinating.

Yes, the weather on the Beeb evening news was suggesting the Suffolk/Norfolk border would be the most northern extent. In the end it's turned out to be a line from the Bristol Channel to the Wash. I don't think any of the hi-res models were correct on this one.
The Region completely covered just after mid-night:

00.25: 542099043_Radar21Oct00_25.thumb.jpg.037bc7cc052c03fa1c3a04e6d1584a75.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

A much nicer commute this morning , could actually see where you were going! Cold though , much colder than yesterday.

Posted

Didnt hear or see any heavy rain here last night, was in a nice warm bed snoozing, but woke this morning and thought, good not raining so off out me and the dogs trotted in the dark, not 200 yards up the road, the heavens opened and we got soaked, thats the problem with early morning walks when its dark, you cant see the clouds. Should have checked the radar before leaving I suppose. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
32 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Didnt hear or see any heavy rain here last night, was in a nice warm bed snoozing, but woke this morning and thought, good not raining so off out me and the dogs trotted in the dark, not 200 yards up the road, the heavens opened and we got soaked, thats the problem with early morning walks when its dark, you cant see the clouds. Should have checked the radar before leaving I suppose. 

You and me both BB! It’s bad enough going out in the dark but to add to the torrential rain, the wind hurled it into our faces with fury - not sure who was most miserable, my poor dog or me.  Then, less than 20 minutes after we get home and am upstairs changing into dry work clothes, I noticed how light it had become and the sky had cleared to this benign scene…. 

2ABF7E00-0FA4-465B-8794-51440F07627F.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

At 07.00 this morning the temp was 9.6C, but then the cold front came through just before 09.00 (see dip on graph) and the temp then fell to 7.3C by 09.48. Just back from the dog walk and with the wind chill it's certainly feeling cold out.

457467657_RadmacTemp21Oct09_50.thumb.jpg.1eeac059fd6c706d3d4f2579ab9c27fa.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild

All change this end today. After all the heavy rain, wind and a rumble of thunder last night its bright, breezy and chilly. Looks like its turning mild again into next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
34 minutes ago, Weatherman_93 said:

All change this end today. After all the heavy rain, wind and a rumble of thunder last night its bright, breezy and chilly. Looks like its turning mild again into next week.

though it's unlikely, as long as we get some decent sunshine, bring it on

Posted

Blue skies are now appearing, after a morning of rain, cloud, drizzle, bit more rain and cloud. That wind is flippin chilly though, 9c but feels quite a bit less than that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

What a nice difference to walk outside into cold dry air, and pure blue skies. Currently 12.1c here and hasn't been any higher all day. Might scrape a ground frost here if I'm lucky tonight, shoreham airport certainly will. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

After a miserable wet and windy start to the day, it significantly improved, well it couldn't get much worse in all honesty, and we ended up with a good amount of sun although feeling  very chilly.  Max temp was 12c at 14:31, currently 6c with 79% humidity but it felt colder when out for an evening final wee wee walk with the dog. 

The blustery wind diminished from 5pm and currently at 3mph with 2 minute average speed of 3.2 and 10 minute average = 3.0mph.  There has been a total of 2.4mm today and pressure is 1017.1hpa rising slowly.  Last night's minimum pressure, with the rapid fall that had me glued to the weather station far too late, bottomed out at 987.7hPa in the end.

Now off to bed with a hot water bottle and a woolly bed sock version of these  *she says in wimp-like embarrassment*  - the house is cold tonight.  Honest Guv, it is..

• Like 1

Posted

Felt colder at 9pm last night than at 6am this morning, but still pretty chilly. House is still fairly warm due to the last few mild days and daytime sunshine.

Edited by Weatherman_93

Posted

Weird. We got heavy rain here in Aumsville Oregon too!  2.18 inches on the gauge.  steady rain since 3pm. Usually when the UK is wet we are dry or vica versa! 

Edited by SortingHat

Posted
34 minutes ago, Weatherman_93 said:

Felt colder at 9pm last night than at 6am this morning, but still pretty chilly. House is still fairly warm due to the last few mild days and daytime sunshine.

How common are baseboard heaters in the UK?  Electric baseboard heaters - Bing images (The web address didn't go thru) The 10 Best Electric Baseboard Heaters | Improb here is what I mean:

Here in Oregon a lot of older homes have them and they suck in the winter though we have a heat pump so it's better and not anywhere near as expensive! Our heat bill is usually pretty steady in the winter not bouncing very much.

Edited by SortingHat

Posted
4 hours ago, SortingHat said:

How common are baseboard heaters in the UK?  Electric baseboard heaters - Bing images (The web address didn't go thru) The 10 Best Electric Baseboard Heaters | Improb here is what I mean:

Here in Oregon a lot of older homes have them and they suck in the winter though we have a heat pump so it's better and not anywhere near as expensive! Our heat bill is usually pretty steady in the winter not bouncing very much.

I would say not common at all, although i cant speak for everybody in the UK. Most people like myself will have a boiler/radiators for our heating source. Some have log burners. They are trying to introduce heat pumps over here but they are very expensive.

Edited by Weatherman_93

Posted
6 hours ago, Weatherman_93 said:

I would say not common at all, although i cant speak for everybody in the UK. Most people like myself will have a boiler/radiators for our heating source. Some have log burners. They are trying to introduce heat pumps over here but they are very expensive.

They are VERY expensive to install.  Over priced I think.  How common is central heating via vents?

Edited by SortingHat

Posted

Its been a totally boring, dull, damp feeling day with a max 13c here and judging by the lack of posts in here, its been dull and boring all around the region  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
14 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Its been a totally boring, dull, damp feeling day with a max 13c here and judging by the lack of posts in here, its been dull and boring all around the region  

Hey, BB, I've wandering around in my tank-top and joggers today. So, should you spot an eejit, it might be me!

• Like 2

Posted
On 23/10/2021 at 18:18, Blazerblue said:

No your right ,nothing to write home about for sure ,but if

the gfs is right, a little tropical stormlet (tiny)but if bigger or stronger over the Azores will upset the apple cart ,and we might get something ,don't know what ,but more than we have at moment

• Like 1

Posted

Well the sun has just started to make an appearance today, temp still 13c as yesterday after the dull cloudy morning, winds still a little brisk and feels less damp today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Been dry all day here and sunny early afternoon reached 14.5c 

Cloudy now, but some funny looking clouds here.

20211024_164619.jpg

• Like 1