Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Top 3 favourite and least favourite times of the year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

I wouldn't mind betting a topic like this has been put forward at least a few times in Netweather's time, but let's face it, such topic never gets old!

I like all times of year to be honest, however not all times of year are created equal.

So, without further ado, here's my top 3 favourite and least favourite times of the year:

TOP 3 FAVOURITE

1. late May early June. Lush; birdsong; active wildlife; long days; bank holidays; football season coming to a climax; national good mood

2. Late October / early November. Autumn colours; damp smell; Halloween & Guy Fawkes Night; atmospheric mornings 

3. Late March / early April. Days getting longer: sun getting higher; clocks going forward; ground drying out; early blossoms; big swings in temperature.

3 LEAST FAVOURITE 

1. Late November / early December. Not ready for Xmas commercial onslaught; buying pointless gifts (sorry :P); deciduous leaves gone; very dark; cold yet to arrive.

2. Early March. Had enough of winter by this point but spring yet to properly arrive; still not that light; any snow melts straight away.

3. Late August / early September. Everything looking jaded; dragging on feeling; less birdsong; autumn colours yet to arrive; worse if on the back of a poor summer with that disappointed feeling.

I'd love to hear what yours are

Posted

My favourite time of year is the start of May right through to probably the middle/end of July.

My least favourite time of year is January. January feels like it has 300 days in it and goes on forever. Most of us are broke from the Christmas period. The weather is wet and windy and hovering around 10 degrees endlessly.

November is my second least favourite month. Same as January really. Wet, windy and 10 degrees. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
On 02/09/2021 at 14:04, Azazel said:

My favourite time of year is the start of May right through to probably the middle/end of July.

My least favourite time of year is January. January feels like it has 300 days in it and goes on forever. Most of us are broke from the Christmas period. The weather is wet and windy and hovering around 10 degrees endlessly.

November is my second least favourite month. Same as January really. Wet, windy and 10 degrees. 

This almost word for word! Though November is slightly redeemed by containing my birthday.

Posted

Favorite has to be early May until late July. This covers the warmest time of the year, and the days are long.

Second would be late March, until late April. Spring is in full bloom, but there's still the odd colder interlude, yet, days can feel pleasantly warm, and evenings are much lighter.

Third would be late Feb to early March. Winter is coming to an end, and even though its still cold and dark, you know the better days are ahead.

Least favourite has to be January, second least favourite late October to November, and third would be September.

September for me is where the best part of the year is behind us, and winter is ahead. No a great a feeling. I still appreciate the change and feel of the seasons though, even living in the UK.

Posted

These are somewhat hard to define as of course weather tends change by year but here's a rough idea of them for me. 

Favourite - 

- There's sometimes a moment in September where summer definitively transitions to Autumn and a nice cooler theme kicks in. In 2012 this happened around 10 days in, in 2019 and 2020 it happened around 3 weeks in. September also still offers up some pleasant evening sunsets I find.

- March. Feels like quite a varied month in some ways. Some years offer sunnier and milder weather to get in the mood for spring, other years it stays cloudy and wintry which is also interesting, and sometimes it's just something pleasant in between.

- Around the first week of April. days lightening up, mood sometimes improving, and in a good year still offers up some nice chilly weather. 

Least favourite - 

- late May. Can sometimes be uncomfortably warm and you've still got the whole summer to come (although sometimes the first part of June is actually then cooler). 

- January. Post-Christmas blues and closing the curtains by about 3.30.

- Late June. The warmest part of the summer is underway and has the most scope for warmth and an overly strong sun. However, cool and cloudy spells at this time of year are very pleasant.

Edited by White Horse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

least favourite is easy ...Mid November to Mid Janaury..its the darkest part of the year and cold with no prospect of any warmth or light

Favourite is Mid May - Mid July for the opposite reason is the lightest part of year and warm..winter is still aways away. September is close 2nd fav often warm and sunny lovely colours however the long winter darkness and cold is looming large

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Best times - bear in mind I have Summer Sads.

1. Early October - that sweet spot of a couple of weeks when here normally the trees are just turning and if it’s dry it can be magical. 

2. Mid December- party season, the looking forward to Christmas. 

3. Early May. It’s just before I need to start my meds but it’s usable nice period normally.

Funny I don’t hate much but this Summer hasn’t been too bad for my condition but I did get twitchy early August- which I expected and worked some leave around. Give it a couple of weeks and I’ll be happy as Larry again! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Top 3 best times...

It's a toss up between May and September for number one spot...May because long day light, warm days and summer ahead, but then September offers usually better weather than August in terms of dry and sunny, plus the mid summer heat which makes long walks tiring, has faded.

in third place, December, its dark and festive feeling and the potential for snow begins to become a possibility.

Worst 3...

1. End of October and November - dark wet and windy! Its too warm for snow around here and never really gets light...just depressing.

2. Mid Feb to Mid March - generally becomes too warm for snow but just right for freezing cold rain, just itching for spring to arrive to get on with those outdoor tasks.

3. August, never fails to be a big let down, the usually nice summer weather of June/July turns either wet or cloudy or both until September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Favourite times of the year

1. Mid April to the end of May - Cherry blossoms, apple blossoms, daffodils, tulips and bluebells are all very pleasing to the eye and are picturesque too. Also, any heatwaves during this period are comforitably warm as the humidity is just right and the sun isn't yet quite as strong as it would be during high summer.

2. Mid October to mid November - Autumn is in full swing during this period; my favourite season of them all. 

3. December - Christmas is coming, the evenings are long and cosy and there's the excitement of the first potentially widespread snowfall of the season.

Worst times of the year

1. January and February - I don't mind winter itself, but in this country that season is often quite a let down. I love cold crisp winter days, but too frequently when we get high pressure at that time of the year we are left with boring anticyclonic gloom conditions instead.

2. August - On many occasions, August has been a let down with this year's being a prime example. Even in the best of summers, August has decided that it wants to be an autumn month instead. As mentioned previously, autumn is my most loved season. But at the right time of the year though when it can be experienced properly.

3. September - I had difficulty on deciding this one. Whilst September often brings lovely weather, from a meterological perspective I find it to be one of the least interesting out of the 12 months. Though it can at times be rather erratic.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

For me it would have to be:

Best 3:

1 - mid June to my birthday (23rd July). I'm a summer lover and this period is so often the height of summer these days with the best combination of sun still at optimum strength and heat potential.

2 - mid May to mid June. Essentially a lesser degree of number 1, but often fresher. Sun is as strong as number 1, but nature is that bit lusher and many years this period can bring the best weather of the year.

3 - mid April to mid May. I also love spring and the burst of growth and return of greenery to the countryside. In the warmest years it can start earlier in the month e.g. 2020, but often early April is still just a bit too bare for my liking and occasionally naggingly cool. In good weather though, this period is particularly mood-raising.

Worst 3:

1 - New Year to late Feb. Literally, nothing good about this period unless the weather is seasonal i.e. snow, frost, sunny days etc. January is particularly depressing. February improves slightly with the longer days and stronger sun but is still a bit of a slog.

2 - early November to New Year. After the last of the autumn colours have gone, it's just depressing. Number 1 and 2 kinda cross over. It's rarely cold enough for winter proper during this time, but the gloom is slightly offset by the approach of Christmas and generally more upbeat mood of people.

3 - mid August to mid September. That sinking feeling of summer running out and autumn not quite there yet. Very much a bittersweet time of year. Great when good weather continues through August and into September, but rather meh when we get stuck in the doldrums like this year. 

The remaining periods I'm rather ambivolent about. October can be lovely as well as grim e.g. the difference between 2016 or 2018 and 2019. Wonderful autumn colour displays can help offset the descent into the silly season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Fav...when snowing is falling

least fav...when its thawing

enough said

Posted
6 hours ago, Bradley in Kent said:

I wouldn't mind betting a topic like this has been put forward at least a few times in Netweather's time, but let's face it, such topic never gets old!

I like all times of year to be honest, however not all times of year are created equal.

So, without further ado, here's my top 3 favourite and least favourite times of the year:

TOP 3 FAVOURITE

1. late May early June. Lush; birdsong; active wildlife; long days; bank holidays; football season coming to a climax; national good mood

2. Late October / early November. Autumn colours; damp smell; Halloween & Guy Fawkes Night; atmospheric mornings 

3. Late March / early April. Days getting longer: sun getting higher; clocks going forward; ground drying out; early blossoms; big swings in temperature.

3 LEAST FAVOURITE 

1. Late November / early December. Not ready for Xmas commercial onslaught; buying pointless gifts (sorry :P); deciduous leaves gone; very dark; cold yet to arrive.

2. Early March. Had enough of winter by this point but spring yet to properly arrive; still not that light; any snow melts straight away.

3. Late August / early September. Everything looking jaded; dragging on feeling; less birdsong; autumn colours yet to arrive; worse if on the back of a poor summer with that disappointed feeling.

I'd love to hear what yours are

Agree with your number 1 and 2 best times. I would place late June/early July in third. A time when we enter 'high summer's feeling with promise of chunk of summer ahead. Hands down May best month!

I would place mid-late Sept least favourite. Summer gone, light fading, often bland non description too early for any cold..

Second least favourite late Feb/ early March.. winter's last hurrah, spring takes ages to arrive and despite lighter conditions still feels wintry.

Third least favourite late August. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Fav...when snowing is falling

least fav...when its thawing

enough said

mine would be the opposite for here..least fav when snow is falling 

....fav when snow is thawing 

Posted

Why you landed and decided to live in a country where the conditions/climate is clearly in Winter is so wrong for you... I have no idea CM....me I’d love it Mmmm for so long that’s is , I do understand maybe it’s different I suppose when it’s week in week out or months in your case

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

I did think about putting the winter months in as least favourite, but there is a big difference year on year depending on number of cold spells. If we had a cold spell mid Jan, I'd be enjoying the month hugely like 2010 or 2013 or 2017 which was more frosty. 

2019/20 was just horrible...

Posted

Top 3

Mid June-Late July: Generally speaking a very good time of the year for weather in Scotland. The days are very long and you can easily sit out till well after midnight enjoying a drink. Usually get a good spell of weather around that time of year July is usually the best time of the summer.

Mid April-Late May: Spring is in full swing by this point but it’s the changeable side I like. The weather can range from anything. It can be blistering hot sunshine to then maybe snow in the matter of a couple of days. Plus the days get much much longer and warmer although it still gets cool enough for it not to be uncomfortable at night.

September: September is generally a good month for weather too I often think it’s better than August. Yes it gets cooler but September usually has a good week of warm, sunny weather but unlike the summer it can still get cold at night. The trees start to change colour, the nights draw in and there is that nice autumnal feel despite it sometimes being very warm.

Bottom 3

Late January/February: Winter has really taken its toll on me by then. Winter is great for December with all the Christmas celebrations, but after January when you’re back to the grind and no one wants to do anything it gets really depressing. Least by late February the days do start to get a bit longer.

November: Usually because November is generally very wet and gloomy. It’s often pretty stormy as well at that time of year plus the nights get longer and longer. 

March: I would say March purely because it’s such a frustrating month because you never know what to expect. It can be worse than the winter some of the time, yet it can be the best month of the spring. Plus March seems to be the most erratic month for weather changes, one day it can be pleasantly mild then be freezing cold and howling with sleet and hail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Favourite:

(for the UK climate 'as it is')

1. Mid spring, particularly around April 1 to May 15. Nature at its best, beautiful flowers, days long and still getting longer, and blocked weather the norm. Interesting variation in weather more likely than any other time of year, with 25C+ temps and lying snow both occurring  - the only time of year this is at all likely to happen.

2. Late spring and early summer: second half of May and early June, say May 15 to June 20. Warmer than the above, though also somewhat more chance of the Atlantic spoiling things as blocking declines a little. Nature still nice. Decent chance of heatwaves. The year's most interesting thundery spells often occur here. Long days.

3. Mid summer: late June and July, from June 20 to July 31. Warmer still but often disappointingly cloudy as the Atlantic takes hold more. Days still long.

These are all rather clustered together (April to July) so will throw in end of August/early September as a bonus, i.e. t his time of year.  In terms of weather this often provides an anticyclonic interlude between wet August weather and wet autumn weather, and also I have kind-of got used to the idea of the best of the year now being past, so there's almost a feeling of relief that the weather has not yet declined markedly.

Least favourite:

1. Early December (Dec 1-20). Days hideously short; leaves have all fallen off trees; generally not cold enough yet for snow; mild wet zonality the norm.

2. Late Dec/early-mid Jan (say Dec 20-Jan 20). More chance of snow and days are slowly starting to get longer, but mild wet damp gloom is still the norm.

3. Late Nov, after about the 20th. Still some chance of autumn colour but often disappeared by now. Days short and still getting shorter. Little chance of snow. Less bad than 1) or 2) above though, because there is still the chance of a few brown leaves, and also late autumn is (here) a little more synoptically interesting than winter as there's a chance of slack lows and coastal thundery activity (thinking the late Novembers of 1997 or 2002 for instance). With snow rare here, Dec-Jan, to be honest, is by far the worst season - a mix of mild, dull, wet zonality and short spells of anticyclonic gloom being typical.

Again a bit of a cluster - so I will add - if February is wet and dull, it can be incredibly depressing as winter just seems to go on forever. On the other hand a sunny February can fill you with early joys of spring; something like 2009 or 2012 would be my favourite type of February as these were half cold and snowy, half warm, dry and spring-like - a case of 'have your cake and eat it'!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Top three

December on the run up to Christmas especially if it's cold and frosty.

October, looking forward to longer, darker nights and Halloween

November, Bonfire night and the atmosphere of a cold night

Worst

May, too warm and light.

June, too warm and light.

July, too warm and light.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Bottom: January, February, December

Top: Summer, Spring, Autumn

Posted
1 hour ago, simshady said:

Top three

December on the run up to Christmas especially if it's cold and frosty.

October, looking forward to longer, darker nights and Halloween

November, Bonfire night and the atmosphere of a cold night

Worst

May, too warm and light.

June, too warm and light.

July, too warm and 

Each to their own..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Top: mid April to mid August, with May my favourite month of the year. As a gardener, it’s an exciting time with plants growing and the whole summer ahead.

Bottom: January to mid March. Ugh. Just....ugh. Though not quite so bad in the Czech Republic, at least a good chance of seasonal weather here.

Posted
18 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Why you landed and decided to live in a country where the conditions/climate is clearly in Winter is so wrong for you... I have no idea CM....me I’d love it Mmmm for so long that’s is , I do understand maybe it’s different I suppose when it’s week in week out or months in your case

because i earn a sheet ton of money..i didnt move here for the weather..also i guarantee after a couple of winters you wouldn't love it at all..i used to enjoy cold and snow when i lived in the UK... but once it becomes the norm..its like just endless rain days in the UK ..just a nuisance and no longer of any interest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Top 3

Oct 30th - Nov 7th... yep another fan of bfn and halloween plus the weather is often cold and crisp around this time.

Dec 10th - 20th... Generally one of the better times for stormy or occasional snowy weather.

Oct 1st - 10th... Getting into autumn proper and the most distant point of the year from warm weather.

Least fav top 3

May 1st - 15th... Starting to get warmer and with the knowledge that there's 4 months of warm boring weather ahead.

July 10th - 20th... The warmest time of the year, no football and generally just uncomfortable and boring.

June 20th - 30th... The sunniest period of the year and often warm to go with it.

Edited by Ross90
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

because i earn a sheet ton of money..i didnt move here for the weather..also i guarantee after a couple of winters you wouldn't love it at all..i used to enjoy cold and snow when i lived in the UK... but once it becomes the norm..its like just endless rain days in the UK ..just a nuisance and no longer of any interest.

Agreed and understood  I’ve always said, regarding work, you go where the money is as retirement sounds better when you can enjoy it