Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm currently sitting here in shorts and a tank top, so, no, I haven't put my heating on yet!

Posted
2 hours ago, Weatherman_93 said:

Noticed the first bit of condensation around the windows this morning so certainly colder of late. Room temperature is still around 21c so no need for heating just yet.

Room temp still the same here. Although it dropped last night so the heating came on itself over night. It actually woke me up and I wondered what the nosie was. I went what heating? o way and turned off lol. It then came on again in the morning brieftly. So that's us done!

• Like 1

Posted

Heating here back onto the normal timed schedule from 06.00 for a few hours. Then it's over to the multi fuel burner (currently logs) on in the evening. Was 6C at 9pm last night and 3C overnight so it's needed! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

The log burner has been lit tonight, (briefly) although only burning some off cuts, just to take the cool temp off in my old cottage, not touching the log pile yet, not cold enough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

The indoor temperature  is 19C and even double glazing and extra clothing I still felt cold, so I put on my heating slightly up to 19.5C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
19 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

The indoor temperature  is 19C and even double glazing and extra clothing I still felt cold, so I put on my heating slightly up to 19.5C.

It's amazing what a whole lot of difference just half a degree can make.

Posted

Heating is on now, with second radiator going on. 

Room temp struggled to reach 21c, and dropped back to 18c after leaving heating off for a few hours. The daytime temps are struggling to reach 15-16c now, so as far as I'm concerned, it's cold enough to warrant using the heating. Even with layers it still felt cold in the flat without heating. 

This year must be the first one since 2013, where the gap of time between turning the heating off in spring until needing it again in Autumn is very narrow. Only managed 4 months without using the heating this year. Just hows hold cold 2021 has been.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Had our heating on for a couple of hours yesterday. At this time of the year, we usually start thinking about having our heating on for a couple of hours in the evenings. But other than that, we wait until around Halloween time until we start have it on a little more often. Gas can get expensive as many of us know.

Posted

I have it on now. Today was nice all the same, but coming back to the flat around 5pm, left the window open for an hour, then noticed it started to feel chilly.

Both radiators are on low, by the bay window area. The walls are very cold now, so can’t risk the place becoming damp. 

Having the heating on a low setting will keep the flat from becoming too cold.

Probably won’t turn the heating up full blast until we start hitting the low 10s during the daytime, which I guess might start happening from mid October to mid November. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Had our heating on for a couple of hours yesterday. At this time of the year, we usually start thinking about having our heating on for a couple of hours in the evenings. But other than that, we wait until around Halloween time until we start have it on a little more often. Gas can get expensive as many of us know.

Yeah, I usually find late September to late October is the period of using the heating on small doses, but once the temps start to struggle reaching 12c, it does start to noticeably feel much colder in the flat, especially if the place you live in is an old building. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, I usually find late September to late October is the period of using the heating on small doses, but once the temps start to struggle reaching 12c, it does start to noticeably feel much colder in the flat, especially if the place you live in is an old building. 

My house was built during the 1920s or 30s, so needless to say isn't the best when it comes to insulation. We do have loft insulation, but with the exception of the bay window, we only have single glazing.. so when we have the radiators on in other rooms besides the living room, the curtains are often kept closed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow
On 30/09/2021 at 13:31, Katrine Basso said:

I dozed on the settee aabout tht time yesterday, just for 20minutes. Woke up freezing. Heating went straight on,  but after half hour it was to hot! Cant win some days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Our heating has been on for the last few days as its cooled down significantly around here.

There's also the matter of it being a novelty of having a whole new heating system in the house as we've spent rather a lot of money replacing the old one. Out have gone the electric radiators and immersion tank, in has come wet radiators and a ground source heat pump. Hopefully it'll pay itself off over 5 or so years in terms of RHI payments and a reduction in our electricity bills, maybe quicker than that given the way electricity prices have been rising. 

So far we're impressed. All our hot water since Friday last week has been from that, and the heating kicked in on Monday. It's rather disconcerting though having the house sit at the set temperature of 20C but with the radiators feeling barely warm. The system designed to keep the temperature pretty much the same all of the time rather than come on and off as you can't get an instant burst of heat like with a gas boiler or electric heating. It'll be a while until we know how it will cope with the really cold weather we can get around here, and how our bills will be affected. 

• Like 1

Posted

A sunny afternoon like yesterday makes all the difference. Helped raise the indoor temperature back above 20c. Then we get the double whammy of a clear, chilly night followed by a dull wet day!

Posted

It does feel more like Autumn now, even more so now we are into October. The transition from summer to autumn being the first phase into the darker months.

The next phase will be the big shock to the system, when the clocks change at the end of this month. Pitch black darkness by 5pm, and it will feel more like winter time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Log burner lit today, just takes the chill off in my old chalk built cottage!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Windows open, bedroom down to 13c, lovely. Certainly not spoiling that with putting the heat on!

• Like 1

Posted

Turned my second radiator on, and the room temp is now a lovely toasty 23c. Closed the window earlier to keep the flat from getting chilly. It’s tipping down with rain outside.

Not going out in that muck. Perfect excuse to stick on a podcast, have a mug of tea and chillax, while having Four in a Bed later. Lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

To expand on my earlier comment... heating doesn't go on until mid to late October, maybe early November if I can cope with just a jumper and the fire (especially now prices are increasing!).  

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Heating just coming on a for a few minutes on the stat. Computer and weather equipment keeps the office warmer by about 3 degrees while downstairs is around 16C to 16.5C.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mark Clifford said:

To expand on my earlier comment... heating doesn't go on until mid to late October, maybe early November if I can cope with just a jumper and the fire (especially now prices are increasing!).  

Wearing a fleece or jumper in my place is ok, but after a while you still feel cold without some heating. 

Our studio flat is mostly exposed to the elements, due to the fact we are on the north west corner of the building, hence no insulation from the neighbouring flats. 

Lack of sunlight during the year also makes our flat much colder than average. 

Sod’s law in the summer when the temp exceeds 27c outside and the place becomes a heat trap.