Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

It's August so time for a catch up. I refuse to switch my heating on in August. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

My new house is much colder than my previous flat. Was 19.0C this morning upstairs, another degree lower and I'll have to give in.

Posted

used heating last night as with hardly any sun all day and a cold wind our bungalow was very chilly by teatime, not getting enough daytime warmth to help the internal temps to stay up, life is too short to sit shivering so yes heating does go on.

Posted

Not yet, but it's going on tonight for about half an hour just to take the chill off the room, and prevent it from getting damp as we head into October. That's when the damp and mold start to creep in, if we don't warm the flat enough, once daytime temps start to struggle around 15-17c.

No point even resisting until late September. If the flat feels cold and uncomfortable to even wear a jumper, heating needs to go on. Was only a month ago, the flat was still warmish from the mid July hot spell, while daytime temps were in the low 20s, and nights were hovering around 15-16c, but since the nights have dropped to low 10s, the flat has lost its warmth.

Posted

I gave in last night. It went on for half an hour as the studio flat became very cold, and the bed was very cold also. It's a poorly insulated building, so you can imagine how warm it was when we had those 28-32c days in mid July, for that one week.

I just can't risk the flat becoming damp.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
21 hours ago, Nick L said:

My new house is much colder than my previous flat. Was 19.0C this morning upstairs, another degree lower and I'll have to give in.

What was the temp outside? I wish mine got down to 19c... upstairs is regularly 7-8c warmer than the outside temp. 25c might seem pleasant enough but it would be 32c upstairs, not the best for sleeping.

I haven't had mine on since early April and probably won't need it on for at least another month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
53 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

What was the temp outside? I wish mine got down to 19c... upstairs is regularly 7-8c warmer than the outside temp. 25c might seem pleasant enough but it would be 32c upstairs, not the best for sleeping.

I haven't had mine on since early April and probably won't need it on for at least another month.

It's been around the mid-teens day and night, but we've had virtually no sunshine for a week now so there's nothing to warm the house up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I've my thermostat turned to 22, it's in the wrong place really, but the colder rooms are warm enough before that temp hits the stat. It hasn't popped on yet as far as I'm aware. Probably not long before a slight warming at times over night though. Have a reptile so keeping the place warm helps keeping the cost of keeping her home warm down. This is a warm place in general though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I have not put on the heating on yet but I am sleeping underneath a quilt and a weighted blanket.  The indoor temperature would have to down to 17C.  Even though I have double glazing, I still feel the cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Had tbh electric fire on foe about ten seconds when I get cold to hewat the room up today, just really like that fire, first day when I can get away with using it lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

our heating is always "on".... thermostat... so itll automatically switch on when its cold enough!... it hasnt been triggerd yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Switched it on for one hour one morning last week, but that's it. Time enough yet to do without it. Took a delivery of oil last week so well topped up for a while. Last time I bought any was way back at the start of Covid when the price dropped dramatically. Not like that now though, mores the pity! If it gets a bit chilly in the evening I'll light a wee fire rather that have full heating on. Today it's around 20.1c outside so it won't be getting switched on today that's for sure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
On 03/09/2021 at 11:49, mushymanrob said:

our heating is always "on".... thermostat... so itll automatically switch on when its cold enough!... it hasnt been triggerd yet

What temperature’s your thermostat set for, Mushy?   It’s been far too mild here for any heating since probably June here but we are also very lucky to have a solar water heating panel in the roof so we hardly use any fuel for hot water as long as there’s a reasonable amount of sunlight.  Downside is that the b#@#! panel always leaks in heavy rain and strong winds we get …erm…a lot of that weather here!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I've no fancy thermostated central heating here, just a big old 1960s oil range Arga which heats the radiators its either on ticking over or off. The problem is it's not worth firing up on cold mornings or evenings as it uses more oil to get the thing hot than it would for it ticking over for 24hr. So I use an electric heater when needed in the living room and good old hot water bottles until its actual cool enough to fire the Arga up and leave on for the winter. It's actually fantastic, the heat it pumps out is something else and I can cook of it and also does all hot water for probably 10 baths a day.. If I turned it up fully it would heat a Castle but I dread to think of the running costs!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
On 06/09/2021 at 16:32, Sky Full said:

What temperature’s your thermostat set for, Mushy?   It’s been far too mild here for any heating since probably June here but we are also very lucky to have a solar water heating panel in the roof so we hardly use any fuel for hot water as long as there’s a reasonable amount of sunlight.  Downside is that the b#@#! panel always leaks in heavy rain and strong winds we get …erm…a lot of that weather here!

dunno, about 10c i think..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

When it’s minus 5 indoors.. then the wood burner gets fired up 

Edited by winterfreak
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, preferably thunderstorms, cold and bad weather.

23° in the living room right now - long way from getting the heating on; I'd expect maybe six weeksminimum unless there's an early chill. The windows are unlikely to be shut for a while yet!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter, or anything extreme

Fired mine up today just ro check it works, but otherwise it remains off until it's blooming freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

My heating has been used sporadically over summer for 30 mins to an hour so I can circulate the water round and not have it sit or the pump to develop issues.... It's on a thermostat anyway and will come on when the house cools down enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

We have it on right now, because my arthritic father feels the damp easily.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

I stupidly left all the windows open last night so quick blast of the gas fire for about 15 mins just to take the chill off. I live in a frost hollow and we got down to 5.7c here (Mount Batten recorded 9c I spotted) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Wood burner in sitting room on every evening, heating gone on this morning for an hour - currently 6C outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Not yet, windows were still open upstairs last night although I suspect they may be getting shut by the end of the week...