Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Ground and Air Frost Watch Season 2021-22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

First ground frost here last night/this morning in the south east.  Feels quite autumnal at the moment.  

Posted
4 hours ago, Aleman said:

0.1C at Marham in Norfolk. Maybe if they look down the back of the sofa in East Anglia they'll find England's first 2m sub-zero somewhere.

Late this year on the ground frost front. Need one to turn colours properly.

Posted

Lots of pretty autumnal colours on trees here without a frost yet. (A few bare trees already!)  I think we'll see our first grass frost tonight. We had 5.2C last night and it's much colder this evening under clear skies with no wind. BBC's lunchtime weather bulletin said Hexham was 2C last night and predicts 0C for the borders tonight. Given the colder day today and clear, calm conditions, I reckon we might have England's first frost in the morning, possibly in a few places.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Some decent air frosts up in Scotland this morning.

2042443303_cold151021.thumb.PNG.f100cabafac473b2362f004078d5a95e.PNG

Image courtesy of Lee over at Highland Weather.

A few places in England fell below freezing this morning, the first air frosts in England since June possibly?

245946376_835206453831312_24066776260700

Already close to freezing in a few places here in North Yorkshire this evening, so I'm expecting my first air frost on one of my weather stations before the cloud moves in later in the night.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

Some decent air frosts up in Scotland this morning.

2042443303_cold151021.thumb.PNG.f100cabafac473b2362f004078d5a95e.PNG

Image courtesy of Lee over at Highland Weather.

A few places in England fell below freezing this morning, the first air frosts in England since June possibly?

245946376_835206453831312_24066776260700

Already close to freezing in a few places here in North Yorkshire this evening, so I'm expecting my first air frost on one of my weather stations before the cloud moves in later in the night.

Good to see reports of air frost in parts of far N England. NE Cumbria did well. We managed the lightest of ground frosts. NE England looks primed for an air frost tonight.. we would be, but cloud about to invade..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Good to see reports of air frost in parts of far N England. NE Cumbria did well. We managed the lightest of ground frosts. NE England looks primed for an air frost tonight.. we would be, but cloud about to invade..

My weather station at Ravenseat Farm in Yorkshire Dales currently at -2.8c and quite a few others well below freezing across the region.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
On 15/10/2021 at 21:54, vizzy2004 said:

My weather station at Ravenseat Farm in Yorkshire Dales currently at -2.8c and quite a few others well below freezing across the region.

We are currently at 4.5c albeit from a sheltered position, only early tbf, we shall see,

Posted

Would like to see min temperatures overnight/this morning. BBC said Northumberland went down to -4 degrees. I suspect many recorded their first air frost of the season overnight. Not here cloud encroached, but we were not far off I suspect. 

Posted

got down to 0 at Thixendale just before midnight ......but by 7 a.m the cloud had moved in from the west and it was back up to 5 C. 

i'm still counting this as the first frost for the Yorkshire Wolds of the Autumn 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

got down to 0 at Thixendale just before midnight ......but by 7 a.m the cloud had moved in from the west and it was back up to 5 C. 

i'm still counting this as the first frost for the Yorkshire Wolds of the Autumn 

Pity the ridge didn't hold on for another 12 hours.. a lovely frosty morning would have been the offing!

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like the frost was fairly widespread as Northern England is not particularly well covered with Met Stations. We clouded over at 4.6C in late evening so nothing for us yet.

Minimum Temperature Last 24h - 10/16/2021 at 09:00 UTC

No.LocationStation IDAmount

1 Redesdale (United Kingdom)03230 -3.6°C

2 Eskdalemuir (United Kingdom)03162 -2.1°C

3 Shap (United Kingdom)03225 -2°C

4 Cairnwell (United Kingdom)03072 -1.6°C

5 Spadeadam (United Kingdom)03224 -1.1°C

6 Albemarle (United Kingdom)03238 -0.2°C

7 Carlisle (United Kingdom)03220 -0.1°C

8 Keswick (United Kingdom)03212 -0.1°C

9 Bealach Na Ba No2 (United Kingdom)03039 0.2°C

10 Castlederg (United Kingdom)03904 0.2°C

11 Great Dun Fell (United Kingdom)03227 0.4°C

12 Leeming (United Kingdom)03257 0.5°C

13 Strathallan (United Kingdom)03144 0.6°C

14 Aboyne (United Kingdom)03080 0.7°C

15 Topcliffe (United Kingdom)03265 0.8°C

Script courtesy of  Michael Holden of Relay Weather. Data courtesy of Ogimet

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

Posted

An odd feature often noticed here is temperature hovering just above freezing all night but dropping below just as sun rises for an hour or so.
It's probably similar to how wind often falls lighter at sunset, since getting a weather station it is striking how during potential ground/air frost nights a little breeze will keep springing up periodically just enough to mix things up and lift temperature a degree or two.
Though to be honest I suspect something else is involved like first rays of sun somehow increasing the ability of heat to radiate away through upper layers.

Edited by 4wd
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, 4wd said:

An odd feature often noticed here is temperature hovering just above freezing all night but dropping below just as sun rises for an hour or so.
It's probably similar to how wind often falls lighter at sunset, since getting a weather station it is striking how during potential ground/air frost nights a little breeze will keep springing up periodically just enough to mix things up and lift temperature a degree or two.
Though to be honest I suspect something else is involved like first rays of sun somehow increasing the ability of heat to radiate away through upper layers.

I noticed that, too, when living in a Highland glen. Temps would rise and fall as much as 5C in a matter of minutes. I always put it down to chaotic air movement as isolated dips/gullies filled with cold air that subsequently drained away?

Posted
8 hours ago, Osbourne One-Nil said:

Dropped to -0.6º on Friday night, so not as cold as Shap, which is only 7 miles away (in a straight line. In every other sense, it's light year's off). 

Below zero which is what counts. May see another air frost Friday night coming if the ridge holds on long enough, almost a repeat performance.

Posted

Any frost last night. Think we had a very light ground frost. No frost on the horizon for a while.. still waiting for that proper first frosty morning where frost lingers until about 10am. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
50 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Hope this thread will kick into action in early November. 

Lowest temp here was 3C yesterday morning but no frost. Based on the forecast it looks like I’ll be waiting a while too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Would love some frosts to kill off the insects a bit. Wasps are still abundant around here. Going to be at least a couple of weeks though, sadly.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Would love some frosts to kill off the insects a bit. Wasps are still abundant around here. Going to be at least a couple of weeks though, sadly.

May be sooner than that of clear skies.. cooler conditions first week of November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

May be sooner than that of clear skies.. cooler conditions first week of November.

While it may turn chilly, might be too unsettled unless we can get lucky with a brief ridge. EC doesn't even manage chilly, sadly!