Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

As in TV and radio?

More likely electricity.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Just a short vid of how much damage is out in the sticks.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.
55 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Just a short vid of how much damage is out in the sticks.

How very depressing. 

Posted
10 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

As in TV and radio?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I am no expert or engineer and probably naive for thinking this, but I cant help thinking that in these areas of the southern states where Hurricanes are pretty common events is there not a better way to try and improve the hurricane resistance of the local infrastructure. I know that with a powerful hurricane like this one a lot of damage will still occur sadly, however as with the transmission line over the Mississippi river, is it not feasible to have those power lines feeding New Orleans laid under the river. Expensive it might be but in the long term I would have thought it was necessary given climate change and increasing chance of severe storms. Also how many times I have noticed that in many parts of America much street furniture is suspended across roads e.g. traffic lights, in Hurricane risk areas. Again would not improved hurricane proofing have been implemented by now e.g. lights encased in solid concrete pillars instead. Maybe I am not seeing this right and these things would be impracticable however with the amount of power lines and infrastructure damaged after each hurricane would not thought be given to this......interested in any comments from people more qualified or experienced in these matters than me....

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, minus10 said:

I am no expert or engineer and probably naive for thinking this, but I cant help thinking that in these areas of the southern states where Hurricanes are pretty common events is there not a better way to try and improve the hurricane resistance of the local infrastructure. I know that with a powerful hurricane like this one a lot of damage will still occur sadly, however as with the transmission line over the Mississippi river, is it not feasible to have those power lines feeding New Orleans laid under the river. Expensive it might be but in the long term I would have thought it was necessary given climate change and increasing chance of severe storms. Also how many times I have noticed that in many parts of America much street furniture is suspended across roads e.g. traffic lights, in Hurricane risk areas. Again would not improved hurricane proofing have been implemented by now e.g. lights encased in solid concrete pillars instead. Maybe I am not seeing this right and these things would be impracticable however with the amount of power lines and infrastructure damaged after each hurricane would not thought be given to this......interested in any comments from people more qualified or experienced in these matters than me....

To illustrate your point, look at this lot...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
On 30/08/2021 at 21:27, minus10 said:

You would think basic things like putting the power lines under ground would be a sensible approach in such an area? 

Posted

I think alot to do with it is the length of cables and the distances involved. 

We are used to distances in the UK, and the cost effectiveness in putting cables underground. This is though even here still a relatively new thing, there are still places in rural areas which are overhead, North Devon for example. I can remember many parts of Ipswich still on overheads when I was a child. 

In the US the distances are much larger, the cost is much higher, and is possibly cheaper in the long run to replace the overheads once every so many years than the overall cost of putting all underground. 

Additionally due to the larger distances, its easier to find faults with the cables overhead. 

Many also wonder why they make their houses of seemingly flimsy timber frame, this is because those houses actually take a fair battering before they fail completely. What we have seen is a cat 4 hurricane with 150mph sustained winds, a timber structure actually gives and lower cat hurricanes probably wouldn't have effected them so much, but a brick built has no give. We only need to look at the structural damage often caused in the UK with far lower windspeeds. 

Also, when a structure does fail, not all is lost. Timbers can be reclaimed, fair size houses swiftly rebuilt at low cost with timber being relatively cheap in the US. Bricks once they fail cause a big mess and reclaim more difficult. 

The buildings are built with hurricanes in mind, and from the experience of hurricanes in that area over time and knowing that at some point the building may be destroyed, whether built of brick or timber, the possible cat 5 pretty much levels all. 

Edited by SnowBear
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Love this 24hr loop of Ida

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 30/08/2021 at 21:27, minus10 said:

I'm not sure, I don't think the river is the only obstacle. There is a lot of swap land around the area, and I've no idea how deep lake Charles goes. It just might not be viable. 

• Like 1

Posted

Posted
9 hours ago, minus10 said:

This is an interesting article on this debate...

file-20181011-154539-18p1cip.jpg?ixlib=r
THECONVERSATION.COM

Hurricanes Michael and Florence have knocked power out for millions of people. Burying power lines could help but the costs are high.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

After LANDFALL   

Now a Tropical Depression "Ida will continue to produce heavy rainfall while tracking inland through the Southeast U.S., eventually crossing the Appalachians, then off of the Mid-Atlantic Coast on Thursday. Considerable flash and urban flooding impacts will continue today across the Southeast and tomorrow and Wednesday from the Tennessee Valley into the Mid-Atlantic."

LA including New ORleans - Heat Advisory - Hot temperatures and high humidity may cause heat illnesses to occur. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Heat advisory thresholds have been temporarily lowered to 100, due to many of our communities without power and for high situational awareness during recovering efforts after Ida. Be very cognizant of your hydration levels and take plenty of breaks. The absence of some basic services amid high heat indices can make situation very acute for areas challenged by power outages.

Dangerous Rip current warnings along Gulf coast

MS -Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing heavy rain across the warned area. Between 7 and 14 inches of rain have fallen. Additional rainfall amounts of 2 to 4 inches are possible in the warned area.

WV and PA "Heavy rainfall associated with the remnants of Hurricane Ida will impact the area beginning this afternoon. Rainfall amounts of 2 to 4 inches are expected to occur through Wednesday evening, with locally higher amounts of up to 6 inches possible. These amounts could result in flash flooding, especially in areas that receive the most intense rainfall."

0831idarain.png

0831idapressuremap.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
15 hours ago, minus10 said:

6 hours ago, Coopsy said:

This is an interesting article on this debate...

file-20181011-154539-18p1cip.jpg?ixlib=r
THECONVERSATION.COM

Hurricanes Michael and Florence have knocked power out for millions of people. Burying power lines could help but the costs are high.

Yep - it appears to come down to $$$$ and the entirely free market nature of US utilities.

The above is not the only obvious issue with the US system.  Last winters power outages across the state of Texas and a number of previous summers wild fires are down to the same issue. The first where they had no connection to other states power grids for back up if the Texas system failed and the latter due to poor/old power lines that arc in high winds.  If you have free markets with little or no regulation for utilities, it's not surprising these things happen.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
8 hours ago, swebby said:

Yep - it appears to come down to $$$$ and the entirely free market nature of US utilities.

The above is not the only obvious issue with the US system.  Last winters power outages across the state of Texas and a number of previous summers wild fires are down to the same issue. The first where they had no connection to other states power grids for back up if the Texas system failed and the latter due to poor/old power lines that arc in high winds.  If you have free markets with little or no regulation for utilities, it's not surprising these things happen.

Thanks for all your responses. Yes it does seem that $$$$ are something to do with it. I get the practical considerations and the distances involved and the cost and timescales .....its just that with every Hurricane we seem to see the same things damaged / destroyed. While damage is going to be unavoidable with these very powerful hurricanes I just feel that certain infrastructure can surely be made more resistant. Lastly I just dont get this thing about hanging traffic lights suspended on cables over busy junctions? Never seen that over here....to date...anyway....

Edited by minus10
  • Like 3

Posted

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

I'm assuming this will be a result of the remnants of Ida, a pretty significant event in its own right 

• Thanks 1