Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Ice coverage in the Northern Hemisphere Winter 2021/22

7 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Great stuff guys, this is imo the result of the end of the last 3 x 20 year pulse of Atlanticisation of the Arctic Ocean (60 year cycle and no new pulse for 60 yrs).  Ended 2018/9 so lag takes 2020 into account.  The rebound looks good, with the La Nina (which I think a Nina footprint will be more apparent this winter).  Alaska already suffering colder temps and more snow due to the improvement of ice and Siberia registering serious early cold.

BFTP

Hald V Denmark down to - 40 for the last week or so. Quiet a drop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Hi all,...i don't normally post in here but comparing today to 2010 and i have to say the SAI up on that comparison...

ims_eurasia.thumb.gif.b2c4ecf9d99cbf6cc130b6eb77d66eae.gifims2010306_asiaeurope.thumb.gif.fe1f1c92e2616eb1262b44cb1c78608a.gif

the sea ice is doing rather well too compared to last year.

ims2020307_asiaeurope.thumb.gif.17d2ff72a5aa2ad69dd261bba01d2583.gif

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Allseasons-si said:

Yes, better all round compared to last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Nice to see some of the people posting who normally give it a miss.

Masie today reflected the rapid turn of events to a more cyclonic and stormy spell of weather.

Today's extent was 8,695K Km2 an increase of just (+39K).

The 'new' environment for the ice freeze that I  spoke about yesterday has continued today, with no gains in the Russian waters (a slight loss in total of (-11K)),  with no real change except a slight loss of (-7K) in Beaufort.

In North America, however, we see (contrary to my post of yesterday) that Baffin added another (+35K) and joined up the ice out at sea   with Greenland itself..  (See screen shot below).

hp5q6du1l15g4f0?preserve_transparency=Fa
WWW.DROPBOX.COM

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

CAA continued to freeze and the ice added another (+14k). Hudson has not responded yet, but give it time, as cold air is now sinking across the area with the Lake effect snow in the Great Lakes already starting up.

At the moment the refreeze has entered a bit of a lull, with the refreeze now  ( having rapidly frozen internally within the basin}, and is now waiting for the ice in the more peripheral areas to start their refreeze.

With the loss of the high pressure over the area, the Arctic temperatures are also now stalling - 

image.thumb.png.d33ef6d45559e00b898568406761e2fd.png

Volume and extent of sea ice for October continued to be above recent years levels, being the 10th highest in the last 16 years.

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/ 

which gives the NSIDC monthly report for October.

Their summary statement -

'Overall, ice extent increased by 99,700 square kilometers (38,500 square miles) per day during the month of October. This rate of increase was larger than the 1981 to 2010 average of 89,200 square kilometers (34,400 square miles) per day.' it being about 12% higher than a normal recent October.

says it all really.

image.thumb.png.dbb552a336d685d4516ade22db287bf3.png The 'area' as shown alongside, has also increased for the Month of October.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

I may have  ' a get round' /solved the problem with the sea and snow charts which used/are to be published by NSIDC.

Where certain people are still unable to access the site for nearly 2 weeks now.

I have had more success when I use  Internet explorer rather than edge.

The difference? Explorer has an interface to ftp, whereas Edge does not.

It seems as though internally the NSIDC mainly use ftp as their file transfer and data storage mechanism. 

They seem to segregate their users into ftp capable or not, and direct them to different network ports.

Their network transmission program (TCP) allows different entry criteria for each port.

One of these ports has not yet been updated to allow http (non ftp capable)  access, correctly.

I seem to remember that they had a similar problem at the previous update.

Whether they will update it is questionable. 

Whether I am correct or not... It works on Explorer.

MIA 

• Like 2

Posted

You are not going to believe this????....

Its just started working again on 'Edge'......

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
On 03/11/2021 at 19:31, Midlands Ice Age said:

I may have  ' a get round' /solved the problem with the sea and snow charts which used/are to be published by NSIDC.

Where certain people are still unable to access the site for nearly 2 weeks now.

I have had more success when I use  Internet explorer rather than edge.

The difference? Explorer has an interface to ftp, whereas Edge does not.

It seems as though internally the NSIDC mainly use ftp as their file transfer and data storage mechanism. 

They seem to segregate their users into ftp capable or not, and direct them to different network ports.

Their network transmission program (TCP) allows different entry criteria for each port.

One of these ports has not yet been updated to allow http (non ftp capable)  access, correctly.

I seem to remember that they had a similar problem at the previous update.

Whether they will update it is questionable. 

Whether I am correct or not... It works on Explorer.

MIA 

Hi MIA 

Google removed FTP support from Chromium, so Edge no longers supports it either. 

I think you can configure Edge to automatically open FTP links in Explorer, but I would probably use an FTP client like WinSCP, if you get anymore issues.

Posted
3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Hi MIA 

Google removed FTP support from Chromium, so Edge no longers supports it either. 

I think you can configure Edge to automatically open FTP links in Explorer, but I would probably use an FTP client like WinSCP, if you get anymore issues.

Thanks Mapantz,,

You are correct, and I have configured my Edge to go to Explorer for ftp, but it uses it for file transfer quite correctly, but not for links or http protocols. 

As my next note above states it seems that someone has pulled a  switch somewhere,  as I now can access the files in question through my Edge interface.

I do remember that this also happened last time back in the spring when the  NSIDC upgraded, so it is probable that  they just forgot to do something. 

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
On 03/11/2021 at 15:26, Allseasons-si said:

Hi all,...i don't normally post in here but comparing today to 2010 and i have to say the SAI up on that comparison...

ims_eurasia.thumb.gif.b2c4ecf9d99cbf6cc130b6eb77d66eae.gifims2010306_asiaeurope.thumb.gif.fe1f1c92e2616eb1262b44cb1c78608a.gif

Good evening, like many coldies I always hope for a repeat of 2010 hence I also look out for similar circumstances to that year. 

A part of me does wonder though whether even since then we've pumped out enough greenhouse gases to water down such situation should it repeat. Since November 2010, we've increased the CO2 levels by almost 7% not including other greenhouse gases and water vapour. When you think about it, that's just over 4,000 days which is both incredible and scary! 

When you go further back it's no wonder winters in the Northern Hemisphere have warmed up!

I haven't calculated it but I'd guess since 1963 CO2 is about half of what it is now. A tad disconcerting that there's about a 40 year delay between atmospheric level and warming. 

As this isn't the CC thread I'll stop there, but I thought I'd mention as many, including myself, compare current conditions against cold winters of past. 

Take care all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Good evening, like many coldies I always hope for a repeat of 2010 hence I also look out for similar circumstances to that year. 

A part of me does wonder though whether even since then we've pumped out enough greenhouse gases to water down such situation should it repeat. Since November 2010, we've increased the CO2 levels by almost 7% not including other greenhouse gases and water vapour. When you think about it, that's just over 4,000 days which is both incredible and scary! 

When you go further back it's no wonder winters in the Northern Hemisphere have warmed up!

I haven't calculated it but I'd guess since 1963 CO2 is about half of what it is now. A tad disconcerting that there's about a 40 year delay between atmospheric level and warming. 

As this isn't the CC thread I'll stop there, but I thought I'd mention as many, including myself, compare current conditions against cold winters of past. 

Take care all

Here one for the cold fans and comparisons to 2010..the only year i have not seen snow cover before my Birthday (12th) was Nov 2010..its does look like there will be no snow cover this year also..in fact this year autumn has been similar to 2010 thus far so who knows

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

The build up of ice is fantastic to see. 

The golden rule is always, get the cold in and the snow will follow. A nice big ice build up gives us a place to build a real pool of cold air.

• Like 6

Posted

A couple more days of somewhat subdued sea ice growth.

Masie extent now at 8,882K Km2 after increases of (+8K and +85K) in the last 2 days.

Once again mainly slack low pressure is dominating the Arctic itself, but as I suggested the colder air is now seeping out southwards. 

Consequently North America is entering full freeze mode, with Baffin (+40K) over the 2 days,  CAA (+36K) and Hudson (+12K) all moved forward, although about a week later than recently.

Of some interest is that the lake snow effect on Lake Michigan is still visible on the satellites.

image.thumb.png.83e820f5fe4af124bfb0efc179c37982.png         image.thumb.png.d29044426b3ee7c8e0e5bf2ec8cb28a1.png         (NASIDC working for me again!)

In the Arctic itself, both Beaufort (+5K) and Chukchi (+26K), grew as the pack continued south eastwards,

By now the colder air is also reaching  the Pacific coastline with Bering (+18K) and SOO (+3K) both infilling the bays in preparation for a major push from the north to freeze the oceans.

Of interest is that Eastern Siberia is still in the grip of a major freeze with minimum temps of around -30C for long periods even during the day.  

The one area struggling is Kara for now, where strong winds from the west are still pushing the ice back in towards Laptev with losses of (_50K, -20K and -18K) over the last 3 days.

Next door,  Barents (+2K and +16K) has avoided the worst of the conditions and is continuing to grow slightly, unlike Greenland which lost (-23K).

No real change in the Ozone so far in the Northern hemisphere although the levels have dropped in Central Northern Russia, while intensifying slightly over the Baring Sea -.

image.thumb.png.79cd661f5a32ed1d07a0ec5827c6a9c1.png

Weather models are all over the place at the moment so I decided not too look at Climate Reanalyser (GFS), until things settle down again.

MIA.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Masie comes up with a sudden Ice Fest, with all areas increasing.

Masie today  increased by  (+237K Km2) to 9,119K Km2.

- Led by North America again with  Greenland (+39k), Baffin(+27K), CAA (+25K ) and Hudson a large promising kick at (+24k).

Add in Baring (+20K) and SOO (+2K) and it is obvious the second  phase of the sea ice refreeze has started.

Also a very early start for Baltic (+1K) indicates that Northern Scandinavia is also cooling down. 

Beaufort (+15K) and Chukchi (+25K) are now headed for completion, and Kara (+32K) changed its recent losses, and this also allowed Barents (+21K) to join the second phase refreeze.

Temperatures also fell after their recent spike. 

image.thumb.png.064acd7def7ac6410e686b9f6fe40ab8.png                    image.thumb.png.fc8d5bbe8a59d4e578e26d136da57220.png

image.thumb.png.6a8df88b3590cffd988335cf96abd452.png

Low Pressure  has re=started to  dominate the Russian coastline  as high pressure again trues to  establish itself  over Northern Canada, and is sealing in the newly established cold there.

An interesting week is coming up.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 4

Posted

Big expansion of snow cover into Mongolia and Northern China.  Would like to see the Russian snow cover, re start it’s rather stalled move westward.  We may see this in the next few days.

6975D974-171B-46D6-82CC-101A871A6DC5.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
15 hours ago, DavidS said:

Big expansion of snow cover into Mongolia and Northern China.  Would like to see the Russian snow cover, re start it’s rather stalled move westward.  We may see this in the next few days.

6975D974-171B-46D6-82CC-101A871A6DC5.gif

Massive expansion of snow that. Be nice to see some more pixels developing into western Europe as well.

Posted
On 08/11/2021 at 20:59, Midlands Ice Age said:

More and more similarities between ice and snow cover in 2010 and today!!

It couldn't could it?

Its getting uncanny now.  (2010 vs 2021)

image.thumb.png.d7402f0ba5d357c918771de3dcc335af.png                   image.thumb.png.1c6dc44ad1eeb0be737ba5e9b1cc6e2b.png    

and 

image.thumb.png.e8c5428042051ef0e862387a88a4de98.png                   image.thumb.png.2e3a9d9d686676499ab2863fe562c398.png

Slightly more ice in Bering, Chukchi and surprisingly Baffin and Hudson Bay this year.

A little  less ice in the south of CAA and parts of Beaufort next to the coastline, also the pack is not quite as far advanced in Barents 

Snow coverage is a lot more extensive this year in both central southern Russia / Asia , and also surprisingly in  North America. 

Despite all this - 2010 was a once in a hundred years event - so that  dictates it will go wrong!!! ???

MIA

May well happen. Same time in solar cycle as in 2010 plus in my opinion the added extra of the reduction of pollution from aircraft /vehicles with a bit of a lag effect just like the solar cycle.  Maybe I"ll be wrong with that theory.

Posted
1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

More and more similarities between ice and snow cover in 2010 and today!!

It couldn't could it?

Its getting uncanny now.  (2010 vs 2021)

image.thumb.png.d7402f0ba5d357c918771de3dcc335af.png                   image.thumb.png.1c6dc44ad1eeb0be737ba5e9b1cc6e2b.png    

and 

image.thumb.png.e8c5428042051ef0e862387a88a4de98.png                   image.thumb.png.2e3a9d9d686676499ab2863fe562c398.png

Slightly more ice in Bering, Chukchi and surprisingly Baffin and Hudson Bay this year.

A little  less ice in the south of CAA and parts of Beaufort next to the coastline, also the pack is not quite as far advanced in Barents 

Snow coverage is a lot more extensive this year in both central southern Russia / Asia , and also surprisingly in  North America. 

Despite all this - 2010 was a once in a hundred years event - so that  dictates it will go wrong!!! ???

MIA

We had two once in 100yr rain fall events in the space of 6 years! Nov 09 and Dec 15.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

We had two once in 100yr rain fall events in the space of 6 years! Nov 09 and Dec 15.. 

3 in 10 if you count Jan. 2005 as well, so who's to say what's possible or not