Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Ice coverage in the Northern Hemisphere Winter 2021/22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

I think that the 7 day Animation chart is the best for watching the snow changes. 

imsnhemi-7day.gif

It clearly shows the movement of the small low across Central Russia, that I mentioned at the weekend. 

Also the start of the snow in Iceland,with the extension of the snow in North America..

Temperatures are now falling steadily in the Arctic as shown by the DMI 80 degrees ECM composite  chart.

Many people suggest that 265K (about -8C (average)) is the kickoff for the rapid refreeze of sea ice.

We will see.....

image.thumb.png.dbde165154144fee7d4e7bb6d5165b86.png

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 8

Posted

For salt water surface temperatures should be sub circa -1.7c to start the freezing process. Not in bad shape so far this ice season relatively speaking. Hopefully a pick up in formation next few days.

• Like 2

Posted
nasa-2021-sept-16-small_sea_ice_2021_min
POLARBEARSCIENCE.COM

The Arctic sea ice minimum was declared to have been reached on 16 September this year (4.72 mkm2), breaking no records. Ice extent can only go up from this point forward but at this time of year, it happens...

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Aleman said:

Ice has started to fill in bays and grow out from the coasts of both Siberia and Alaska so the infill towards the main ice pack has begun.

Click on 5th option:

https://www.polarview.aq/arctic

I had reached the same conclusions myself Aleman, but from the Arctic Sea Ice Forum.  (ASIF)

There a poster (Aluminium),  who produces a 3 day changed ice map of the Arctic, had produced the following chart for today -

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3648.0;a

Careful zooming in of the Russian coastline shows the ice gradually forming here. (movements)

This has been  confirmed by another poster  who has just see  another new low for the date (30/9) of -24C at a place called Delyankir. This follows on from quite a few lows recorded in Siberia over the last few weeks.

Forecast and actual temperatures around the Arctic can be watched in this link, where it shows widespread temperatures of -16C in many places overnight in Siberia. Together with temps around -8C in the Inner Arctic itself (Wrangle Island) for the next week. 

https://en.allmetsat.com/weather-forecast/arctic.php?city=prince-patrick-island-ca-nt

By clicking on the various coloured dots one can travel Around the Arctic fairly easily. 

I did not find the reference to the Ice Portal above you supplied very easy to use, as I can find no mention of Option 5. I did manage to navigate it eventually to bring up the extent of the new ice by using the AMSR 2  facility, but if there is a quicker method of 'getting' there I would be interested. 

MIA

• Like 5

Posted
5 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

I did not find the reference to the Ice Portal above you supplied very easy to use, as I can find no mention of Option 5. I did manage to navigate it eventually to bring up the extent of the new ice by using the AMSR 2  facility, but if there is a quicker method of 'getting' there I would be interested. 

MIA

My apologies for being unclear. Tick the 5th box - Ice Chart (NIC,MIZ) and perhaps untick the others. Zoom in on the uppermost part of the image and all that (yellow) ice along the coasts of Laptev and East Siberian is new.

WWW.POLARVIEW.AQ

A website about Polar View and related services in the Antarctic

If you tick the top box, Sentinel-1, and pick the appropriate satellite image, you can very clearly see the new ice that you referred to growing along the coast, e.g. an East Siberian sea bay is seen here - it's about 100km across so that new coastal ice band probably extends to 10km from shore in places. Coastal ice looks looks to extend further from shore in other places further west, not covered by today's series of satellite images, but those places might be seen in coming days.

S1B_IW_GRDH_1SDV_20210930T195210_4670_N_

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 2

Posted

Could the current volcano in the canaries effect this winters weather if it continues ?

Posted
1 hour ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Latest offering. Decent build up

image.thumb.png.864f2bb76ebe0cda93befddbb9d60324.png

Now are into October, we need a rapid expansion of snow .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

As was being suggested ...

Yesterday looks like finally the snow and ice both got their act together and steam ahead... 

Winter has arrived in the Arctic

imsalaska-7day.gif

JAXA records a century increase plus in sea ice , and massive snowfalls across North Eastern Canada and Northern Russia, 

MIA

Thanks for the updates, MIA; I find them to be very informative.

But, what intrigues me most is a possible inverse correlation between Arctic sea-ice and late Autumn/early winter snowfalls, especially along north-facing coasts(?)

It seems readily apparent to me (though a fair amount of what I find 'obvious' turns out to be fairy dust!) that, with ever-growing (over the long-term) amounts of open water around, whopping snowfalls will be more likely to occur than previously?

And, will not heavier/more widespread snowfalls turn areas some way inland colder than would've been the case?

Or am I being swayed by my recollections of 2012-13?

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Thanks for the updates, MIA; I find them to be very informative.

But, what intrigues me most is a possible inverse correlation between Arctic sea-ice and late Autumn/early winter snowfalls, especially along north-facing coasts(?)

It seems readily apparent to me (though a fair amount of what I find 'obvious' turns out to be fairy dust!) that, with ever-growing (over the long-term) amounts of open water around, whopping snowfalls will be more likely to occur than previously?

And, will not heavier/more widespread snowfalls turn areas some way inland colder than would've been the case?

Or am I being swayed by my recollections of 2012-13?

Pete...

Yep I do agree, I think that heavier snowfalls can be expected in the future, in areas aligned to more open water..

It certainly is showing above.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

This source is getting very interesting now that scattered ice is filling in new ice is expanding along various coastlines. Try ticking 5th, 6th and 7th boxes to get maps of the different densities and types of ice. (Hover over the icons next to the boxes to get the relevant keys/legends.) There is lots of subtle information to be had if you go through the various boxes and compare to the satellite images.

WWW.POLARVIEW.AQ

A website about Polar View and related services in the Antarctic

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Finland, Northern Sweden - first snowfalls.

Big increase in Polar ice too 

image.thumb.png.c545e2f9cc70168280147dc45451cec1.png

Iceland looks caked in snow according to that - I wonder if thats unusual so early on in the season?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

It is quite unusual. I was there this time two years ago and there wasn’t any snow except on mountain tops. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Finland, Northern Sweden - first snowfalls.

Big increase in Polar ice too 

image.thumb.png.c545e2f9cc70168280147dc45451cec1.png

Snowfall is early in Iceland this year. I have been watching developments on the Iceland Volcano Forum as well as some postings from Kirkaldy Weather.

Been checking the sea ice increases, and they have been picked up by JAXA, ( a double century in the last 2 days) but MASIE has turned all 'shy' on us and did not publish yesterday. Perhaps she wants to hide her blushes! 

I am hoping that today's update about now will give us the 2 days of data.

In the meantime the 7 day animation (from USNIC, with thanks)  will have to do.

imsalaska-7day.gif

It shows a lot of ice increases, but especially those in the last 24 hrs  in the ESS, Chukchi and Kara, and even shows unexpected sporadic ice growth which is developing out in the Laptev Ocean. 

Other years this has been a prelude for a 'flash' ice out, but surely with the SST's being relatively high in Laptev  this cannot happen at this time of the Ice growth season?. The SST's in the rest of the Russian coastline are all low this year.

Will be back with conformation (or not) when MASIE finally updates, and I can then see in more detail whether this 'ocean newly formed ice' is real..

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

ys

15 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Snowfall is early in Iceland this year. I have been watching developments on the Iceland Volcano Forum as well as some postings from Kirkaldy Weather.

Been checking the sea ice increases, and they have been picked up by JAXA, ( a double century in the last 2 days) but MASIE has turned all 'shy' on us and did not publish yesterday. Perhaps she wants to hide her blushes! 

I am hoping that today's update about now will give us the 2 days of data.

In the meantime the 7 day animation (from USNIC, with thanks)  will have to do.

imsalaska-7day.gif

It shows a lot of ice increases, but especially those in the last 24 hrs  in the ESS, Chukchi and Kara, and even shows unexpected sporadic ice growth which is developing out in the Laptev Ocean. 

Other years this has been a prelude for a 'flash' ice out, but surely with the SST's being relatively high in Laptev  this cannot happen at this time of the Ice growth season?. The SST's in the rest of the Russian coastline are allow this year.

Will be back with conformation (or not) when MASIE finally updates, and I can then see in more detail whether this 'ocean newly formed ice' is real..

MIA

Masie has just updated her datasets, but has not lifted her skirts and shown us her graphs and maps yet!!!. 

However it is obvious that a large 'refreeze' has occurred.

Masie's  total sea ice extent of 5.967K Km2, that is an increase of (+357K Km2) in the last 3 days. 

As suggested the Russian coastline really led the attack.

Beaufort continued along filling in with (+11K and +15K), but Chukch(+27,+12K),  ESS (+19, +22K), Kara(+6,+11K), and finally Laptev (+6, +22K) provided a general front.  So it looks as if the 'flash ocean icing' in Laptev could well have started.

Elsewhere Greenland (+7, +13K), the CAA (+10, +5K), and especially the Central Arctic (+25, +20K) all joined in the fun.

The only 'soft spot' was Baffin (+9, -16K), which showed a decrease.

Will post the charts when they have been updated.

MIA

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

ys

Masie has just updated her datasets, but has not lifted her skirts and shown us her graphs and maps yet!!!. 

However it is obvious that a large 'refreeze' has occurred.

Masie's  total sea ice extent of 5.967K Km2, that is an increase of (+357K Km2) in the last 3 days. 

As suggested the Russian coastline really led the attack.

Beaufort continued along filling in with (+11K and +15K), but Chukch(+27,+12K),  ESS (+19, +22K), Kara(+6,+11K), and finally Laptev (+6, +22K) provided a general front.  So it looks as if the 'flash ocean icing' in Laptev could well have started.

Elsewhere Greenland (+7, +13K), the CAA (+10, +5K), and especially the Central Arctic (+25, +20K) all joined in the fun.

The only 'soft spot' was Baffin (+9, -16K), which showed a decrease.

Will post the charts when they have been updated.

MIA

Large refreeze of patches away from the ice pack and coast. I believe we had this last year. The sea temperature has edged below 0C and lows running along the Siberian coast have dumped loads of snow all over. If lots of snow lands on sea at -1C and falling, it tends not to melt and initiates a freeze up on water that would have started freezing without snow in a few days anyway. The more snow, the more widespread and faster it freezes - a flash freeze as you say.

• Like 1

Posted

A more widespread snow event has started on the US High Plains, with up to 18 inches predicted in parts over the next few days, and maybe 40 inches on mountains. Snow often starts up there this time of year but that's a fair old quantity predicted.

Https://mybighornbasin.com/bighorn-basin-to-be-smothered-by-one-foot-of-snow-this-week/

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 3