Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Ice coverage in the Northern Hemisphere Winter 2021/22

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Good to see the thread back.

Ice cover is surprisingly good this year too so we may get some early snow joy.

• Like 5

Posted
59 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Good to see the thread back.

Ice cover is surprisingly good this year too so we may get some early snow joy.

Surprised given we've had quite alot of high pressure over the Pole this summer, or perhaps not?

Posted
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Surprised given we've had quite alot of high pressure over the Pole this summer, or perhaps not?

Weve had periods but actually June and July were +AO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Great News that its back for a barnstorming winter.

MIA

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain

Artic sea ice seems to be doing a bit better than previous years. What are your thoughts MIA? Early and quick re-freeze would be good. Linked a good forum for artic sea ice.

FORUM.ARCTIC-SEA-ICE.NET

The global forum to discuss arctic sea ice and global warming

• Like 1

Posted

Use to love this thread years ago, until I realised that we could have massive gains over Russia and Eastern Europe before the snow would stop at the magical snow boarder in Scandinavia, down through the borders of Belgium and France with Germany and not dare encroach any further.

Seen it happen too many times now that it's spoiled my love for the snow and ice thread these days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
2 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Bit early for me....

We are probably 10 days (if all goes well) or 30 days if the weather is poor for the ice away from the minimum for this year.

I too have been watching the Arctic Sea Ice Forum for my current positions on the ice melt season.

It is probably the best for the actual data that is presented, you do however have to filter out all the we are 'doomed' posters on there.

The end of this  melt season has been very good for ice retention, and we now have the probability of an increase in multi year ice this season (certainly in comparison to what has happened for many years).

It is still my view that the best weather conditions for the ice at this time of year are those with flat areas of low pressure floating around in the Arctic.

image.thumb.png.cb38ccea8627515cac69739aa26b66bf.png

This is typified by today's chart shown above (has been similar for 2 weeks now) which looks as though it will persist right through until the refreeze starts up again.

The latest above 80 degrees Temp chart shows very average, or just below average  temperatures over the Arctic this melt season so far.

image.thumb.png.663dcc2233f70247550cb5f06161a06d.png

Another 2 weeks before the ice in the polar areas begins to reform.

MIA

Yes my prediction is around 10th September looking at current weather predictions with the light fading fast and generally 2MT  staying below freezing above 80N and conditions leaning towards freeze thaw. Yeah totally agree the Arctic ice free brigade do reside on there but its good for data. I think the lack of sea ice on our side of the globe means Northerly's often don't pack a punch, so more ice the better for us.

Edited by danthetan
  • Like 3

Posted

image.thumb.png.fee6c543198f605ce845ba3310d9b526.pngimage.thumb.png.99350e5012f6574f45dda352ad76cd9e.pngimage.thumb.png.2ea9e8a57f7f2e04a1839c2c3df20e51.pngimage.thumb.png.198e374556d532f5300cf1c348b2a8e8.png

According to DMI, Arctic Ice Volume looks set to nadir higher than 2019 and 2020, close to 2018 (which was late), and so be the highest low since either of 2018 or 2014. (Note the black line for 2021 in the last few weeks is getting obscured by the grey 2003-2014 average.)

image.thumb.png.8269e5d3a642816da162ec6bcb727b96.pngimage.thumb.png.bba07c5ce3a9dd127f14ef77ca3696e5.pngimage.thumb.png.81c1cc4ca4fe7c6c81933fe291e58a44.pngimage.png

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

It’s good to see this thread back up and running always puts me in the mood for the up coming autumn and winter ?❄️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

Brilliant, love seeing this thread start ??

Posted

Yes April and May saw a lot of cold air from the Arctic coming down to us with a freezing gale on the 6th of April(-2c) damaging a lot of trees in bud. A very short growing season too with just over four months from sowing spring barley to harvest. Still think that a cooler northern hemisphere  has a lot to do with lack of aircraft movement /ground based exhausts and the loss of the brown ring of pollution for over ayear at the edge of the earths atmosphere as after 9/11. ( Not popular I know even with Mrs Northernlights)

• Like 1

Posted

DMI volume is  showing 2021 peeping below that grey 2004-2013 average now - so  2021's low is just below 2018 and only highest for 3 years.

image.thumb.png.9523acdbf8e9fb0984cbb39fadc09015.png

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow, atlantic storms, hot sun and thunderstorms

Yay its back, just need the Daily Express headlines of Snowmageddon and we're fully up for the winter! 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Moomin71 said:

Yay its back, just need the Daily Express headlines of Snowmageddon and we're fully up for the winter! 

Don't worry they have them reserved for about the last Monday in September or first one in October, then the first Monday after the half-term break.. followed by the 1st December... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, preferably thunderstorms, cold and bad weather.

Did someone say snow? 

• Like 1

Posted

I follow the escapades of the increasing numbers of brave (or foolish?) leisure sailors who attempt to get through the Northwest Passage each year without ice class vessels. (There should be a reality series covering it each summer as there are some very interesting stories come out in blogs afterwards.) There has been a Covid ban last year and this but I still check what might have been.  Colder than average temperatures have landed recently, seemingly ending the melt season early.  Ice in the main bottleneck amongst the islands of the Nunavut Archepelago looks to have increased marginally in each of the last two weeks when it might normally still be melting.  Snows have also settled when there is sometimes none at this time of year. I think it's safe to say it will not open this year now.

imsalaska-30day.gif

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Posted
On 20/08/2021 at 16:21, Osbourne One-Nil said:

Every year, around this time, I look at the snow coverage charts here, and dream of a cold snowy winter to come, with angel-dust in the air, Ipswich challenging at the top end of the table and wondering whether it will be Barbara Dickson or Elaine Paige on the Two Ronnies' Christmas Special. 

Today I spotted some snow in Russia, Alaska and Canada....here we go!

Ipswich challenging at the top end of the table

ims2021231_alaska.gif

Love this thread.....not sure about Ipswich though......

Posted

Let it snow!!

Enjoying the September sun but looking forward to the winter snow....please!

• Like 5