Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Evert - July

Posted

Here's  a video I came accross from a campsite somewhere in Devon/Cornwall. Looks like a bloody hurricane 

M.FACEBOOK.COM

Edited by andy989
Spelling

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Pretty sure until this latest low pressure that didn't name storms in summer. Like I said earlier we had stronger systems where the criteria was met but weren't named.

• Thanks 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, andy989 said:

Here's  a video I came accross from a campsite somewhere in Devon/Cornwall. Looks like a bloody hurricane 

M.FACEBOOK.COM

I don't think that's Devon/Cornwall really. Storm (if you can call it that) was still way off coast 12 hours ago. 

Thats a vid of a severe thunderstorm. You can see the lightning.  Probably not even UK. 

Edited by Wimbledon88

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms

Bullseye .  I am right under the centre of Evert. Winds very calm, flat still. Pressure 993mb. Steady now. 14.6c and only the 1 bit of blue sky above. 

Screenshot_20210730-074757_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210730-074645_NW Storm Radar.jpg

20210730_072951.jpg

20210730_073811.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Storm Evert moving steadily eastwards today with yellow warnings for south coast. Worst over for the winds but heavy, thundery downpours today for Wales and England.

AdobeCOrnwallrain.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Storm Evert brought a wild night to SW Britain, particularly Cornwall. This low will move across southern Britain today with heavy downpours and strong winds for English Channel coasts.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
2 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Weather presenters are saying that it’s ‘pretty unusual’ to have a named storm in July in the UK, but I can’t remember any previous named storms at this time of year.  Can anyone tell me when was the last time we had a July storm given a name by the MetO?

Yes there have been. Last summer there were Ellen and Francis in August (two of the most notable August storms in 50 years - MO).  In 2018 Hector in June. They are all listed https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-storm-centre/uk-storm-season-2019-20

And some have threads back in this Storms and Severe Convection Discussion. The Storm Naming is a tool to help get out clear information about severe weather, along side the national weather warnings. It is usually just windstorms in summer and this one was aimed at holidaymakers in SW Britain, particularly Cornwall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

I don't think that's Devon/Cornwall really. Storm (if you can call it that) was still way off coast 12 hours ago. 

Thats a vid of a severe thunderstorm. You can see the lightning.  Probably not even UK. 

It will be Wednesday's/ Thursdays derecho in the US, it went right through a campsite for some sort of air fair. Hopefully most took shelter somewhere, there was plenty of warning, and a PDS was called.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Nothing particularly bad here, just an average windy day with the highest gust being 35mph.  Bearing in mind, my anemometer is at just over 10m high and free from obstructions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
3 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

Yes there have been. Last summer there were Ellen and Francis in August (two of the most notable August storms in 50 years - MO).  In 2018 Hector in June. They are all listed https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-storm-centre/uk-storm-season-2019-20

And some have threads back in this Storms and Severe Convection Discussion. The Storm Naming is a tool to help get out clear information about severe weather, along side the national weather warnings. It is usually just windstorms in summer and this one was aimed at holidaymakers in SW Britain, particularly Cornwall.

Thanks, Jo.  Don’t know how I overlooked those storms last year although I only searched for ‘July’.  It’s funny how the memory (well, mine anyway) plays tricks because when the weather turns really foul it often seems to me that it’s the ‘worst I can remember’..even though there are usually historical precedents …… 

We were on the very northern edge of the warning area and in fairness the winds here were much less vigorous than others have experienced.  We’ve had a few bouts of quite heavy rain but these didn’t last very long and as I write this the sun is trying to get through the clouds.  Maybe we dodged this bullet but come September…….