Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Evert - July

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

"Storm Evert will bring very strong winds to southwest England, perhaps causing damage to infrastructure and leading to travel disruption." 

evert.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A very windy spell with the worst of the winds in the middle of the night.

"Storm Evert will bring a swathe of very strong winds with coastal gales and severe gales into the Isles of Scilly later Thursday evening, these very strong winds then spreading into Cornwall during the early hours of Friday. Gusts of 55 to 65 mph are likely in coastal areas with a chance of gusts briefly reaching 75 mph in the most exposed coastal spots in Cornwall. Winds then ease Friday morning. Showery rain will accompany these high winds at times, some of this rain heavy." MO

evertlow.png

evertlowgusts.png

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like the many campers in Cornwall will have a disturbed night's sleep!

Definitely a need for extra guylines and pegs, especially for the more exposed clifftop sites.

image.thumb.png.0f92a2aa48da724e31d70ae0ac52aa03.png

The Seaview Tipis look particularly precarious!

image.thumb.png.6875eb1b6dd65b21d8b021f74745439a.png

• Like 3

Posted

Blog about Storm Evert tonight 

evertfri3am.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

A deepening low pressure, Evert, will bring wild and wet weather to SW Britain during Thursday night and more of Wales and England during Friday 30th. The Met Office have an Amber wind warning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

LOL lovely inconstancy once again by the Met. A lot bigger more active features failed to get names despite meeting criteria. I guess its like our work policy what way is the wind blowing today.

I did expect it to get a storm status though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, The PIT said:

LOL lovely inconstancy once again by the Met. A lot bigger more active features failed to get names despite meeting criteria. I guess its like our work policy what way is the wind blowing today.

I did expect it to get a storm status though.

But the trees are all in full-leaf and many parts of the S and SW have only recently experienced flooding. . .  Much more scope for impact than a bog-standard winter gale, I'd have thought?

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But the trees are all in full-leaf and many parts of the S and SW have only recently experienced flooding. . .  Much more scope for impact than a bog-standard winter gale, I'd have thought?

And the many thousands of families sleeping in tents at the  250 + campsites in Cornwall.

• Like 3

Posted
45 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

And the many thousands of families sleeping in tents at the  250 + campsites in Cornwall.

Just hope they get the message, might have signed up for alerts at their home address/postcode. Maybe the Met Office have done a TikTok and all the teenagers are well informed- whether they will mention it to their families is another thing.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

One farmer has moved the entire campsite to a more sheltered field.

Definite change of pattern in the sky tonight...

20210729_204038.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

This is the current situation. It's forecast to weaken a bit before landfall, they'd better hope they've got that right because it's nearly a hurricane strength storm at the moment

Screenshot_20210729-213924.thumb.png.09cd65ba6fb8351d2885ca6650ba8007.png

Edited by Man Without Beard
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft

Would this be considered as a Sting  Jet?

capture-20210729-214845.png

capture-20210729-215627.png

Edited by Raindrops

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

Bunch of lightning in the middle of it too if the netweather radar is to be believed

• Like 1

Posted
On 29/07/2021 at 21:57, Saint coolio said:

Bunch of lightning in the middle of it too if the netweather radar is to be believed

Yes you're seeing correctly

Very impressive to say the least. Southwest better buckle up.

• Like 1

Posted

I've been seeing some interesting cloud structures, even had rotation for a brief time.

Posted

10pm Thursday

0729evertradar10.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
17 minutes ago, Raindrops said:

Would this be considered as a Sting  Jet?

capture-20210729-214845.png

capture-20210729-215627.png

The jetstream is in the right place, maybe not defined enough??, hope not anyway.

• Like 2

Posted

http://convectiveweather.co.uk/

A jet streak will move south of Ireland from this afternoon through the overnight period helping to deepen a small area of low pressure that will spread into southwestern parts of England and and Wales. The main risk with this low will be heavy rain and the potential for gales and strong wind gusts along the south coast of Wales and across southwest England. Gusts of 70-80mph will be possible for a time along the coast of Cornwall for example. There will be some instability wrapped into the low, with 200-500 J/Kg of CAPE moving near western coasts by late evening and around midnight. This combined with large potential vorticity leading to a dry intrusion around the low centre could generate some active thunderstorms for a time, with the potential for some very strong gusts. 

largethumb.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!

It sounds pretty tasty outside and I'm only in Torquay. First time I've had the windows shut for about a month! This could be nasty for Cornwall and the Scillies with all the trees in full leaf. I certainly wouldn't want to be camping tonight.

Edited by Ceejay
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

Heavy rain in Taunton at the moment , as far as I know I only have a warning of wind nearby but it is breezy . 

I hope people will, heed the warning though and vs able to shelter.  

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ciderwithrosie said:

Heavy rain in Taunton at the moment , as far as I know I only have a warning of wind nearby but it is breezy . 

I hope people will, heed the warning though and vs able to shelter.  

Yes! I have friends camping in North Cornwall. Looks like a lively night

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Yes! I have friends camping in North Cornwall. Looks like a lively night

My sister is in a tent just outside Exeter. All they are doing is tightening the ropes and staying with it!! I would have packed up and gone home.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Weather presenters are saying that it’s ‘pretty unusual’ to have a named storm in July in the UK, but I can’t remember any previous named storms at this time of year.  Can anyone tell me when was the last time we had a July storm given a name by the MetO?

Edited by Sky Full

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Naming low pressure systems in this country is fairly new so yes in previous years we have had the same sort of weather systems but did not give them a name but of course that's thanks to the Americans because everything they event or do sooner or later comes our way !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Weather presenters are saying that it’s ‘pretty unusual’ to have a named storm in July in the UK, but I can’t remember any previous named storms at this time of year.  Can anyone tell me when was the last time we had a July storm given a name by the MetO?

Lol, few storms have actually been named by the Met Office, anyway. Most have been named by others.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Thanks 1