Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 25th July 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

This is the one between Rugby and Daventry that has just started to spark.

20210809_183814.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Really wild sky this afternoon at work (just outside Colchester). No lightning or thunder, and a moderate shower from it.

IMG_20210809_143848.thumb.jpg.51faa5bcc38476dee124edbf9d2fbc11.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

This is the one between Rugby and Daventry that has just started to spark.

20210809_183814.jpg

Yeah it’s coming straight at me, couple of small rumbles !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Going dark to my West. Not looking too bad for the next few hours, a fair few showers over the Midlands heading East Anglia bound. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

@Zak M,a storm heading for you

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I’m stuck down in Hastings at the last minute with work . No point driving home now as I’m back here 8am tomo, anyone know if there’s going to be any activity in the channel later on? Ventusky seems to think so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

@Zak M,a storm heading for you

I'm on holiday.. typical.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
On 09/08/2021 at 20:21, Zak M said:

I'm on holiday.. typical.

Oh!,...that's bad luck,where are you?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
8 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Oh!,...that's bad luck,where are you?

In Marbella on the Spanish coast mate. Looking forward to be chucked into the furnace later this week.

I return on the 21st. Hoping there's some decent t-storm activity by then!

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Lightning around Mildenhall area half hour ago, only the second time I've seen lightning at night this year.

Posted

We’ll no storms today, or at least no lightning. We did have a brief downpour that I thought might have electrified. But no. Although i also wasn’t surprised. 
some interesting convection about today though just not enough to turn it into anything. 

7D4DA906-92D7-44ED-9314-438FF314C56D.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

WRF and Arpege show a spike in CAPE in a few hours. Maybe a trough? Wonder if anything will happen. I am reminded of 10th August 2018. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Rain in Hastings. Sounds heavy (I’m bunking in the car tonight) but it’s hard to tell from in here.

ICON still big on the idea of lightning in the channel over the next few hours - but I’m not sure if it means anything more than sporadic stuff

Posted

Chance of a storm in the North East of England, Scottish borders and Glasgow Edinburgh corridor as low level wind convergence sets up. Despite limited instability there is a chance of back building storms and spout type weak tornadoes considering the low level wind field.

ukcapeli.thumb.png.73a350922cceb2c7d171a06d7e51eb3f.pngsound-EastLothian-12.thumb.png.3dd9967917997caa7beaddf3148c777d.png

nmmukwind.thumb.png.a293589c125d58e6ee8b1bbf1a319b8f.png110361150_nmmuk3hrprecip(1).thumb.png.9c79a71f37b4a9ffa30065c05edc80ea.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Maybe not so blocked after all by this weekend. Models struggling with what to do.

Posted

The warm seclusion cyclone coming in from the Atlantic that the Estofex forecaster was excited about is still forecast and showing up on satellite images as developing a warm core.

DYNhs8rVoAEtiUJ.thumb.jpg.2bfc079b1f6d8711527f26a03373394c.jpg20210810_0449.PPVG89.thumb.png.fb7ef112f95d3729f1e30a7c646e1018.png

Modelling does not suggest significant impacts to the UK from this low pressure system, however this type of system usually turns up in January for Northern latitudes so it will be interesting to see how the models handle it.

gfs_gusts_eur42.thumb.png.d948dd62db0d55f9a97ac43e6e42a293.pnggfs_srh_eur60.thumb.png.1beae96cf01540781b54cf0dd87e3d5b.png

The risks here are tropical storm force winds when trees are still heavy with leaf and strong convective rain at the cyclone core. At the moment there is minimal risk if weather models are correct, but certainly an ominous sign for this autumn.

• Like 7

Posted

Just been looking over at the US storm prediction centre and was on the Holland, Michigan cam earlier observing  big orange distant CG’s at their dawn! It must be heaven over there as a storm nut! Pretty much daily/weekly mesoscale discussions and all aspects of storm watches available! The Chicago and Great Lakes area looks awesome for general activity over the summer, with severe events on quite a regular basis. 

Meanwhile in the U.K.... zzzz 

Posted
On 11/08/2021 at 13:56, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Just been looking over at the US storm prediction centre and was on the Holland, Michigan cam earlier observing  big orange distant CG’s at their dawn! It must be heaven over there as a storm nut! Pretty much daily/weekly mesoscale discussions and all aspects of storm watches available! The Chicago and Great Lakes area looks awesome for general activity over the summer, with severe events on quite a regular basis. 

Meanwhile in the U.K.... zzzz 

One of my favourite YouTube storm videos ever is from Chicago August 2008. While it's quiet in here I thought I'd share it. Try and listen to the audio, by far the best thing about it. Plenty of positive lightning, car alarms and sirens! 

https://youtu.be/Z6R5JQuHAE0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
4 hours ago, joey.g2003@gmail.com said:

One of my favourite YouTube storm videos ever is from Chicago August 2008. While it's quiet in here I thought I'd share it. Try and listen to the audio, by far the best thing about it. Plenty of positive lightning, car alarms and sirens! 

Seen it years ago! Still ranks as one of my favourites. Reminds me how badly I need to get out to the Midwest some time. 

Would you believe the recent output! Absolutely god awfully boring. That pesky little low is deflecting away all the heat potential from Iberia. Now it looks like we will have to endure another absolute bore fest!!! Just cancel this summer now. It’s been ridiculously dreadful!!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
17 hours ago, joey.g2003@gmail.com said:

No thanks, that took me back to child hood, had one storm that kept spitting out cloud to ground, positive strikes one after the other, including about five near ones. You could hear it coming and then thank goodness going. Couldn't do that storm in this vid I don't think.

Edited by alexisj9

On 12/08/2021 at 18:30, joey.g2003@gmail.com said:

Thanks for that - stunning video and one of the best I've seen! Would have been amazing - and terrifying - to have experienced that live

Do we have a thread for storm videos found on YouTube? Could be worth resurrecting one/creating one during these quieter times for the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
On 13/08/2021 at 12:56, Azuremoon2 said:

No heatwave or plume on horizon, a very disappointing summer for us, one rumble of thunder heard in over a year now

You can pretty much kiss goodbye to any plume potential after 31st July these last few years. Not sure why, but it just doesn't seem to happen in August, unless you count last year's tropical heat low, but that wasn't a sort of classic plume set-up really.

• Like 1

Posted

Maybe a chance of convective activity Thursday across parts of the Midlands in the afternoon. Its a bit marginal.

ukcapelithu.thumb.png.a8fd90d8072835717895fa3f0569ff56.png

Further convective risk showing up for Sunday as well.

ukcapeli129.thumb.png.21ec175d162b147671e386fbf18753b7.png

• Like 4