Storms and Convective discussion - 25th July 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
8 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Better than a damp squid

At least you can fry that one...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Just a few spots of rain, that's it. Don't think this one is worth getting too animated over again, well, here anyway.

Edited by DIS1970

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Closest strike of the season just then!! Massive CC directly above, with a very loud crackle about 3 seconds after!

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder

Wow! Wow! At last it’s actually hitting us for once… though almost literally  ⚡️ Think the are recovering… oh wibble .. that one was horrendously close .. so close that I’m now shaking.. and wibbleit so was that one.. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Lightning spreading and developing slowly Eastwood and Northwood in Wales.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

I was on a rooftop tonight in London and the flashes to the south were sporadic but spectacular when they happened. Didn't hear any thunder though and by the time it was above us the lightning had stopped.

Posted
9 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Any lightning associated with that cell that's erupted N of Oxford?

no its just rain. another night of nothing im afraid.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning everyone.

Whilst struggling to sleep due to the heat, I woke up fully around 03:40 with the sound of really heavy thundery rain.

But in about the past 10 minutes the sky has been flickering around here, and I’ve also heard some very soft distant thunder. ⛈

There looks to be a small storm over towards Heswall way on the Wirral.

This is how the current storm activity  stands at 04:43 in the morning.

25973590-5F53-465E-BE9E-2F6D5D13CDCA.png

B2E83B30-A6D7-43BB-A2C2-454B4356F5BC.png

079B5887-73A3-4F6A-9464-E131D725F6C6.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I’m awake and listening out for anything here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Should of known better, no rain dry all night and certainly no thunder. See what today brings.

Posted
CONVECTIVEWEATHER.CO.UK

Forecasting thunderstorms and severe convective weather across the British Isles and Ireland for up to the next 5 days.

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Thu 09 Sep 2021 - 05:59 UTC Fri 10 Sep 2021

ISSUED 07:13 UTC Thu 09 Sep 2021

ISSUED BY: Dan

An upper low covers the UK and Ireland on Thursday, leading to a more widespread risk of showers and some thunderstorms compared with Wednesday. Early showery rain and embedded thunderstorm activity within a zone from Northern Ireland across to northern England will lift north into southern Scotland through the morning, although in general any lightning activity will probably decay. The main focus will be related to diurnal heating beneath cool mid-levels, resulting in 500-900 J/kg MLCAPE developing in many parts of England, Wales and Ireland. Numerous heavy showers and some thunderstorms are likely to develop, particularly where aided by orographic forcing and low-level convergence.

Some modest flow aloft across England in particular may allow some organisation/cell longevity, whereas weak shear over Ireland will tend to result in mostly pulse mode. Where the steering flow becomes near-parallel to convergence zones, multiple cells may train over the same areas and this brings a significant risk of local flooding - of particular concern is a corridor from N / NE Wales through NW England (especially given the number of urban areas in NW England) and also parts of the north Pennines towards southern Scotland. A MDT has been introduced where coverage of lightning may be greater overall, although an area of showery rain could move through this area from the south during the afternoon and limit surface heating for a while. The strongest cells could produce some marginally-severe hail.

Thunderstorms will slowly fade through the evening hours, but still possible across northern England and southern Scotland into the first part of the night. Meanwhile attention may turn to the central/eastern English Channel into SE England where a few showers and weak thunderstorms could approach during the evening/night as a shortwave lifts northeast. Some interest also exists for a few sporadic lightning strikes over the North Sea close to eastern Scotland during the night hours, shifting north towards the Northern Isles.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 9TH SEPT 2021

stormmap_090921.thumb.png.4b531247de6d684b3314cd9b90bb3a96.png

Issued 2021-09-09 08:08:06
Valid: 09/09/2021 0600 - 10/09/2021 0600

Forecast Details

Upper low will slowly drift across Ireland on Thursday before being swallowed up by broad upper troughing present across the far N Atlantic. A shallow surface low will also be centred across Ireland during the day. A generally light Sly flow will be present across England & Wales, backing SEly or Ely across Scotland, the flow strengthening aloft and generally from the south ahead of upper low over Ireland.

A moist airmass will be present across Ireland, England, Wales & S Scotland – with dew points typically reaching 15-16C. Surface heating of this moist airmass will create increasing instability into the afternoon – more particularly across S Scotland, N England, Wales, Midlands, SW England and Ireland – where lapse rates will be steeper due to cooler mid-level temps here closer to upper low over Ireland. CAPE values forecast to reach between the 400-900 j/kg range here during the afternoon – supporting the development of scattered thunderstorms from late morning – which may organise along one or two troughs moving north and also along breeze convergence across Ireland, towards Irish Sea coasts and across S Scotland. Any storms may produce locally torrential downpours, given PWAT values of 33mm forecast, which may lead to flash-flooding. Frequent cloud-to-ground lightning, hail and strong wind gusts will be additional hazards. A few isolated thunderstorms may develop elsewhere, but the main focus will be Ireland, Wales, northern and western areas of England, greatest risk appears to be across N Wales across into N England.

Issued by: Nick Finnis

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

With last night's damp squib of a plume over, it's highly likely that's all folks for any plume potential until the end of April. The long wait through the winter season begins!

Another poor year plume-wise although I did get the July event down here, which automatically makes it better than 2020 and on par with 2019

• Like 1

Posted
On 09/09/2021 at 09:45, Lance M said:

With last night's damp squib of a plume over, it's highly likely that's all folks for any plume potential until the end of April. The long wait through the winter season begins!

Another poor year plume-wise although I did get the July event down here, which automatically makes it better than 2020 and on par with 2019

Yea pretty much spot on ,I did get a couple of shots last night but never lasted long ,just about wet the floor,but its been so dry ,so it just got asorbed 

VID-20210908-WA0014_0014-0.jpeg

IMG-20210909-WA0002.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Well lots of rain last night and there was some lightning over the Wirral around 4 am but not close enough to hear unfortunately. Still, better than nothing.

today is looking very good indeed for my location, looks like I am in the best area today. Seems like I may be under a convergence zone as well. A fair amount of sheer like 28th July but this time a slacker southerly flow.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

Normally I don't get out of bed for less than a Supercell  but 2 years of no US chasing leads to desperate times.
I watched the earlier storm flash in the near distance and saw some nice CG's but that died out, seeing as the later storm was heading directly towards me I nipped out, caught a couple of strikes before it died on it's ****.
Taken Gravesend, Kent around midnight.

_8501626_DxO.jpg

Edited by Storm_Sikher
Wrote Ar*e but it got change to 'weeble'
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

After last night’s little storm there is a lot of haze and crud about in the air… But in a small break I can see things starting to brew up nicely to my South West/West. ???

88DFDFC8-EC81-47D1-8DB7-7746EE6EFFBF.jpeg

• Like 1