Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 25th July 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
On 28/07/2021 at 20:05, Supacell said:

With the exception of the first storm just after midday over Belper I could sum today up as "behind the action". I did catch a beautiful CG as that storm approached though and there was plenty of lightning and thunder. After chasing the Belper storm to J33 of the M1 I stopped, had some lunch and then headed back south. I stopped briefly to film a storm that was rolling through to my north as I was near to Bolsover. However it was not coming my way so I left it to head south again and intercept a storm heading across from Stoke that had then hit Belper (my girlfriend tells me). Two storms in one day over Belper, that's a first! I met it near to Hucknall but it was moving very fast.

I drove through some torrential rain, small hail and flashes of lightning but by the time I stopped the main part was already to the east. I still saw some nice IC and CG lightning with thunder though as it moved away.

I then moved south towards J25 of the M1 and half hour later another storm hit Hucknall, but by now I was near Long Eaton. It was here that I noticed big storm clouds overhead and some big raindrops despite nothing on the radar, that told me it was a newly developing system. Ten minutes later and a line of storms is to my east (doh). So, I chased it east along the A52 through Nottingham and was catching it up as I headed towards Bingham. There were lots of flashes of lightning and some lovely IC's against a dark sky. But then (double doh) roadworks!! Spent 15 minutes stuck in traffic and by then the storm was gone. How I love England and its wonderful amount of roadworks!

So I finished up watching a rainbow near to Bottesford as the storm moved away, far enough now that I couldn't see the lightning anymore.

Now near Grantham and this is the scene to the east 

16274990957544559123537176486768.thumb.jpg.af16f60d5b80c4cc49ce7cb78d819eb5.jpg

Yes,i can see that from here Karl,it's got some nice Mammatus/hail shafts in there...

DSC03473.thumb.JPG.eb03da5ea8e21f7401a0f2d17da3a88a.JPGDSC03474.thumb.JPG.849cdcacd391bed0691e69b31e354175.JPG

Nott's storm from a little earlier.

DSC03472.thumb.JPG.71f3a0421bdf99fd646461f49399a5df.JPG

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
22 minutes ago, Harry said:

Sadly I missed the thunder and lightning from the line that just went through London as I was in a gym class. I drove through it though on the way home and the sky was awesome! 

Was the fifth biblical downpour of the day and the roads are now covered by flash flooding/huge puddles! 

Yeah that CZ really did a number on the roads. Was excellent to drive through tho

splish splash try not to crash  

• Like 1

Posted

Another heavy shower. Not a storm tho  it’s also really cold now, so any storms would probably have died by now.

5BFBF6E1-A931-46A7-AB5B-5016B75DB2D6.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Showery days again on Friday and Saturday according to UKV

Friday seems to be associated with a low that moves through so main stuff is in EA.

Wouldn't be sure how much of a bang they'll have but would certainly be something!

image.thumb.png.9c2d1cc78ac555910ff940dba890fdc5.pngimage.thumb.png.833bb42ccc5a4ddb9ca479c5c3871886.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Thunder to the west again.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Shower over Newark looks quite big from here, would get a photo but too dark now 

• Like 1

Posted

A very active afternoon in these parts , multiple cells with regular thunder and lightning , all moved off east over the last few hours 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Lots of low precipitation towers around today in the South East. 

IMG_20210729_065422.jpg

IMG_20210729_065424.jpg

IMG_20210729_065441.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Thu 29 Jul 2021 - 05:59 UTC Fri 30 Jul 2021

ISSUED 07:22 UTC Thu 29 Jul 2021

ISSUED BY: Chris

The upper low that helped produce widespread thunderstorms on Wednesday will edge away to the east into Scandinavia, however a small shortwave trough combined with 200-400 J/kg of CAPE will lead to the development of scattered showers and perhaps a few thunderstorms across E Scotland and NE England. The risk of lightning will be greatest across far SE Scotland. 

A jet streak will move south of Ireland from this afternoon through the overnight period helping to deepen a small area of low pressure that will spread into southwestern parts of England and and Wales. The main risk with this low will be heavy rain and the potential for gales and strong wind gusts along the south coast of Wales and across southwest England. Gusts of 70-80mph will be possible for a time along the coast of Cornwall for example. There will be some instability wrapped into the low, with 200-500 J/Kg of CAPE moving near western coasts by late evening and around midnight. This combined with large potential vorticity leading to a dry intrusion around the low centre could generate some active thunderstorms for a time, with the potential for some very strong gusts. 

http://convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2021-07-29

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Yes risk of a few thunderstorms in the Eastern Scottish borders and may be the north east of England. My eyes are also drawn to North Devon late afternoon where a low level wind convergence takes place. There is a risk of convection occurring here by the looks of it although detail models don't agree. I would struggle to see how deep convection occurs but if it did then the wind parameters might be favourable for a supercell or tornado. At face value looking at all the models you would have to say No way, you are having a laugh, but there is just this niggle that makes you want to double check and keep an eye on the radar. Difficult to assess so very low risk.

nmmuk3hrprecip.thumb.png.824e0e42b605e9beba2efc1c263bb682.png

nmmukwind.thumb.png.9be6ae01abb17ced5f09b6bfdf56aebf.png

sound-Devon-18.thumb.png.8fa03a4610c74aaca103010fcffdcb52.png

Overnight intense little low pressure heads towards the UK bringing some unseasonal gusty winds to parts of the southern UK. Models are still wobbling about the exact track but potentially gusts up to sixty miles an hour might be possible. Equally there may be some thunderstorm risk from even the early morning.

nmmukgust.thumb.png.c7fdbbc761ce950aa5e5f334ac2d034b.png

sound-Devon-36.thumb.png.e69131c42b5f0ad557ec58de5dfcf11f.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

Here's the cell impacting Hastings.

IMG_20210729_075132.jpg

Most kept just off shore as wind is slightly more westerly than south westerly like  yesterday 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

Video of the lightning strikes last week 20/7/21 in Gravesend, Kent UK

I've slowed down the first strike that strikes the scaffold (About 50ft away) as otherwise you can't see it, 17 second video for something that took a second.

• Like 7

Posted

This is my photo of the day, after the Hucknall storm passed and stopped chucking huge hail at us we stayed out to watch the line develop and intensify to our south, it gave us some fantastic views of horizontally extensive lightning and some CGs while it was still low precipitation. Lots of deep booming thunder from it too. :D

A6ED93C7-FCE4-43ED-8B44-3B26B7A4C57F.jpeg

• Like 8