Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 25th July 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain

What a rude awakening that was! 
Dashed down to the seafront roads flooded, the lightening is incredible!

The thunder well, you can feel it in your chest

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Wow, that is all I can say. Literally been spoilt these last 5 days. That would of been the best storm out of the whole lot if it wasn't for the low cloud and fog, but once it reached Sandown and the bay it was truly stunning! Low cloud and fog cleared away, Lightning ever 1 to 3 seconds, with some beautiful CG'S once again. The one I saw about 15 minutes ago was one of the best Negative CG'S ive seen in years as well. Its still flashing and rumbling away right now! 

Can't believe i'm saying this but this has been the best period of storms i've ever ever seen down here and i've seen alot of storms, but the last 4-5 days have been special big time

Edited by Stormyking
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain
5 minutes ago, Stormyking said:

Wow, that is all I can say. Literally been spoilt these last 5 days. That would of been the best storm out of the whole lot if it wasn't for the low cloud and fog, but once reached Sandown and the bay it was truly stunning! Low cloud and fog cleared away, Lightning ever 1 to  seconds, with some beautiful CG'S once again. The one I saw about 15 minutes ago was one of the best Negative CG'S ive seen in years as well. Its still flashing and rumbling away right now! 

Can't believe i'm saying this but this has been the best period of storms i've ever ever seen down here and i've seen alot of storms, but the last 4-5 days have been special big time

That was spectacular wasn’t it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow
8 minutes ago, Lu. said:

That was spectacular wasn’t it

It was absolute madness, I got completely drenched as I thought the beach shelter I went under was safe from the rain but it definitely wasn't the best spot I chose to watch it  The Lightning was crazy!

Edited by Stormyking
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

It wasn't much as it approached here but it seemed a more intense area formed to the SE at the same time as the initial area was passing over here which is what ended up hitting the IOW and Portsmouth. Still happy with what I got here though as I did get a few rumbles and could see the rest of it to the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I have not a clue what the hell is going on outside, very heavy rain and I think thunder but nowt on the radar. Easing off now, what a crazy surprise tonight has been!

Posted

As others have said... Probably one of the most incredible thunderstorms I have ever experienced. Winds touched 40mph at times, extremely heavy rain and near constant lightning. 

As quickly as it came, it's now left us. Incredible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

My first ever observation of a funnel cloud / water spout which formed over the Bristol Channel (looking SE from Cardiff) 

• Like 6

Posted

Just woke up to a nice little storm here in Lincoln. Not often we get storms at this time of day. A few deep rumbles of thunder 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 27 Jul 2021 - 05:59 UTC Wed 28 Jul 2021

ISSUED 06:13 UTC Tue 27 Jul 2021

ISSUED BY: Chris

An upper trough will be situated across Britain on Tuesday with a reinforcing sharper upper trough approaching Ireland from the northwest later in the day and overnight into Wednesday. Scattered to numerous heavy showers and thunderstorms are expected to develop across northeastern Wales through much of England (apart from far western areas) and into southern and eastern Scotland by late morning and through the early evening. 

Much like previous days surface convergence will be the focal point for shower development, and this is particularly the case for showers that develop from N Wales across to eastern England and northwards into southeastern Scotland during the afternoon and early evening. The shortwave trough axis and associated PVA will drift eastwards across S/Cen England towards western parts of E Anglia during the late afternoon and early evening perhaps giving a slight uptick in lightning potential in these areas later in the afternoon. 

CAPE amounts of 500-800 J/kg will develop widely in the SLGT area by midday and into the afternoon. This combined with PWAT values of around 30mm and surface dewpoints of around 15-16C indicate humid air in place and due to the slow-moving nature of the convergence driven convection, some localised spots could see 50-70mm of rain in a short period leading to the risk of flash flooding. There is little to no shear present so updrafts may be relatively short-lived, although outflow from developed storms combined with further convergence may help to develop daughter cells in the vicinity mature storms. 

Severe weather will be limited mostly to flash flooding, although some small hail may be possible in the tallest thunderstorms. There may also be the risk of some funnels or a brief tornado in the early stages of more vigorous convection during early afternoon. 

spacer.png

looks like places North of the Midlands see the heavier showers today not that other areas won't see showers 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Posted

Around 4am was woken up by thunder and saw my first night lightening of the year, brilliant! Another storm came through around 6am. Loads of lightning and thunder, with very heavy rain for 20 minutes. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
9 hours ago, Captain Thunderpants said:

Well I'm happy at last! Had a cracking storm earlier this evening over North Dorset / South Somerset. Weird thunder though. Not particularly loud but none stop crackly thunder that just continued without a gap for ages. Rather eerie. Never heard anything quite like it.... 

I have twice, a night time MCs, and the one that happened in the morning a few months back.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Hopefully my fellow north-westerners can come out of hibernation today. Looking fairly good although tomorrow looking better.

• Like 4

Posted
19 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I’m intrigued... 

Lol it's not like that honest ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe
4 hours ago, Panayiotis said:

My first ever observation of a funnel cloud / water spout which formed over the Bristol Channel (looking SE from Cardiff) 

IMG_7158.MOV

For some reason I can't watch this on my computer. Do you have it on Youtube? Was this recently?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 27/07/2021 at 08:40, Chris.R said:

Hopefully my fellow north-westerners can come out of hibernation today. Looking fairly good although tomorrow looking better.

Morning @Chris.R

I do hope so mate… feeling really quite cheated and storm starved here, especially after that heatwave went out with a whimper.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning everyone

Through the haze, I can see that I’ve got towers going up to my west at the moment… Will it go bang? I certainly hope so! ?⛈??????

Top image is tweaked so that you can see the towers easier.

Bottom image is what I can actually see. (Untweaked) 

As ever… Good luck to everyone with this today and tomorrow.

AB5302AF-170D-48E8-84B7-7EF67297DCA4.jpeg

B8985146-AF10-4549-9A36-F846D37CB5FA.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Morning fellow storm Nuts!

hoping for some action here today, Arome 00z sim refection shows a direct hit for me but I'll not hold this as gospel and watch the good old Nw Extra Radar!

Good luck all!

image.thumb.png.5a05a8d2226d1d01004fc74ab2d902f2.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Still haven't had a single drop of rain where I am since the heatwave began.  

Got my fingers crossed for today though.

(p.s. the radar is a lie , shows me under the blue stuff but it's just a bit misty, like a heavy muggy haze.  )

Posted

We have ignition! ?????

A7AFC262-C670-480B-966D-2FB529CF0AF3.jpeg

09160C4C-9554-44BF-A9EF-ABF0116BA7F9.png

09A29035-56C6-47C6-AEAA-BA73FF2D51C2.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Strong cell just to the W of Brum atm

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
30 minutes ago, ItIsGee said:

Morning fellow storm Nuts!

hoping for some action here today, Arome 00z sim refection shows a direct hit for me but I'll not hold this as gospel and watch the good old Nw Extra Radar!

Good luck all!

image.thumb.png.5a05a8d2226d1d01004fc74ab2d902f2.png

usually i'd be annoyed about my area not getting anything but I'm not because we've had the majority of the storms lately so the rest of the country can have a bit now, though I wish this overcast skies can bugger off 

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Wasn’t expecting it to start so early.

• Like 2