Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

N Ireland temperature records - accuracy previous readings?

Posted

I'm surprised the last few days have delivered temp records in N Ireland, how are the current synoptics which are not exceptional in any way producing record high temps in N Ireland? 

It makes me question the accuracy of previous readings.

Seems to be a regular occurrence of cold and warm temp records in N Ireland in recent years.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I'm surprised the last few days have delivered temp records in N Ireland, how are the current synoptics which are not exceptional in any way producing record high temps in N Ireland? 

Seems to be a regular occurrence of cold and warm temp records in N Ireland in recent years.

The Ballywatticock reading is being checked by the Met Office I believe- it did seem a bit suspicious to me but I guess we will find out in a few days.

Posted
44 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

The Ballywatticock reading is being checked by the Met Office I believe- it did seem a bit suspicious to me but I guess we will find out in a few days.

I'm more surprised how low the absolute max value for N Ireland is. Surely 32 degrees has been recorded in past heatwave. As said the current synoptics are not especially exceptional.

Posted
20 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I'm more surprised how low the absolute max value for N Ireland is. Surely 32 degrees has been recorded in past heatwave. As said the current synoptics are not especially exceptional.

I think geographically anything around or above 30 is challenging in NI- the heat often misses them completely when England experiences heatwaves and the warmest wind directions for heat are not favourable.

E and SE winds come off the Irish Sea and there is basically no land mass at all to the west of the country.

This spell has been a bit unusual in that it's been homegrown heat for the most part with Northern Ireland at the centre of the high for much of the period- very rare.

In terms of Ireland as a whole island, the west and central areas are generally more favoured for heat than the east due to shelter from easterly and southeasterly winds but it's quite unusual anywhere on the island.

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I think geographically anything around or above 30 is challenging in NI- the heat often misses them completely when England experiences heatwaves and the warmest wind directions for heat are not favourable.

E and SE winds come off the Irish Sea and there is basically no land mass at all to the west of the country.

This spell has been a bit unusual in that it's been homegrown heat for the most part with Northern Ireland at the centre of the high for much of the period- very rare.

In terms of Ireland as a whole island, the west and central areas are generally more favoured for heat than the east due to shelter from easterly and southeasterly winds but it's quite unusual anywhere on the island.

Yes I think it is a one off set up as you say the core of the high is directly over N Ireland and there is no wind to stir things at all. Highly unusual for it to barely reorientate itself for so long.. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

No doubt Katesbridge will have managed to still scrape a frost out of this heatwave.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

No doubt Katesbridge will have managed to still scrape a frost out of this heatwave.

Yes Katesbridge the perpetual frost hollow, many a time seems to be the coldest place, despite many more frost hollows in Scotland and England being much further distant from the sea. Again I question the validity of n Ireland readings past and present in this respect..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes Katesbridge the perpetual frost hollow, many a time seems to be the coldest place, despite many more frost hollows in Scotland and England being much further distant from the sea. Again I question the validity of n Ireland readings past and present in this respect..

I know were underfunded by the UK government but come on global warming this is just the beginning for these type of setups.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, damianslaw said:

So you think they've got dodgy equipment and the readings are wrong. You do realise the met office investigates records to check their validity. Its not the 3rd world, I'm sure their equipment is just fine and to suggest their entire system is inaccurate and always has been is a bit odd.

Edited by Polar.
  • Like 1

Posted

Shall we also question the North American and Canadian records that have recently been obliterated?

One of the reasons behind these temperatures are the insanely high sea surface temperatures present in Western Britain. Currently 4 or 5 degrees above normal.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

What I find more odd than anything is how as of this point with the data we have, the highest temperature in the Republic of Ireland from this spell was 31.2C on the 22nd at Durrow. There is still the outside chance there was higher when manual climate station data eventually comes in a few months but I don't recall seeing Northern Ireland beating the Republic in terms of absolute max this high before - June 1989 did achieve 30C in N.I. but not in the Republic.

Makes me wonder just how limited we are by our current station network of missing out on records. There was a fair amount of haze and high cloud on the 22nd which limited the potential for temperatures to skyrocket more than they did but N.I. achieved 30C on 4 days yet the Republic only did so on 2. The absolute max on the 17th was 29.6C again at Durrow so wasn't far off and makes me suspect that there could have been higher. It took us until the 21st to get the first 30C in the Republic at one of the synoptic stations or the few automatic climate stations. 

Posted

Perhaps my post wasn't presented in the right way. I'm simply surprised higher maxima hasn't been achieved up until this spell. Also how notable low minima has been in Katesbridge, someone may correct me but I think there have been some date records in recent years and again surprised not had lower temps years gone by. What is the base date for temp recordings in N Ireland? 

Posted
On 25/07/2021 at 14:14, BruenSryan said:

Makes me wonder just how limited we are by our current station network of missing out on records. There was a fair amount of haze and high cloud on the 22nd which limited the potential for temperatures to skyrocket more than they did but N.I. achieved 30C on 4 days yet the Republic only did so on 2. The absolute max on the 17th was 29.6C again at Durrow so wasn't far off and makes me suspect that there could have been higher. It took us until the 21st to get the first 30C in the Republic at one of the synoptic stations or the few automatic climate stations. 

I think this is the case in England too- I would like to see more official urban sites as these would reflect the experience of the vast majority of the population- far more than rural air force bases do.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
On 22/07/2021 at 23:45, booferking said:

I know were underfunded by the UK government but come on global warming this is just the beginning for these type of setups.

what does this mean ..?