Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Wobble Of The Moon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I must confess I'd never heard of this before....

image.thumb.png.26a299d1f268f9ab6e7474ba2a2d009f.png

It's no surprise to see it linked with climate change in order to give it a particularly pessimistic slant.

What really interests me however - and which the article itself does nothing to address - is to know where we currently are in this cycle and whether there is a discernible link between our records of weather that go back beyond 1728 and these phases of the moon's journey? 

This wobble in the moons orbit of earth apparently takes 18.6 years to complete. Does anyone know when the cycles start and end and if there have been any studies linking them with our CET?  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, Timmytour said:

I must confess I'd never heard of this before....

image.thumb.png.26a299d1f268f9ab6e7474ba2a2d009f.png

It's no surprise to see it linked with climate change in order to give it a particularly pessimistic slant.

What really interests me however - and which the article itself does nothing to address - is to know where we currently are in this cycle and whether there is a discernible link between our records of weather that go back beyond 1728 and these phases of the moon's journey? 

This wobble in the moons orbit of earth apparently takes 18.6 years to complete. Does anyone know when the cycles start and end and if there have been any studies linking them with our CET?  

Oh dear. As our moon has been 'wobbling' (every 18.6 years) for millennia, it's hard to see it suddenly causing a climate catastrophe, now. Not that an 18.6yr period can possibly have any long-term effect, anyhow?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

According to NASA we are into the 2nd half of the 'wobble cycle "The Moon is in the tide-amplifying part of its cycle now."

• Like 1

Posted

I think the argument is that the wobble this time will play havoc with the rising sea levels that climate change will have caused since the time of the last wobble.

But although this wobble was first discovered back in 1728, I'm guessing the actual means of measuring it accurately is something new.

My gut feeling is that every time scientists have a new way of measuring something, or discover something new about the earth, they associate it with some sort of impending armageddon to bring attention to what they have achieved.  I'm sure we were once led to believe the hole in the ozone layer was a man made thing not something that naturally occured!

Anyway, I'd really love to know the start and end point of these 18.6 year cycles to gauge whether or not a link to our CETs can be linked to it however loosely!   

Posted
10 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

According to NASA we are into the 2nd half of the 'wobble cycle "The Moon is in the tide-amplifying part of its cycle now."

If the problem is going to come in the 2030's does that mean the wobble is preventing us from seeing the real effects of climate change just yet, and it will only be when it's finished its cycle in 9 years that we start seeing it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Absolute sensationalist headline clap trap!

If you read the correct full article from NASA, it turns that headline in to scaremongering.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Moon watching can give a lot of clues that the orbit of the Earth and Venus and our Moon are not normal in the last decade. This has been noted in the past, in 2005, when the Moon took on a distinct tilt in its orbit. At Full and New Moon, the Moon is usually found where expected, but in between it was too far north or too far south.

Little old ladies who had lived in their home since girlhood would comment that "the Moon never shown in that window", and those savvy to the skies certainly noticed. The Moon's orbit should tilt no more the 5 degrees from the Earth's middle but was found, and photographed, at extremes. Another indication of this tilted orbit is the rotation of the face of the Man in the Moon. This too should only rotate 7 degrees or so when viewed from any given latitude, but was found to be rotating up to 90 degrees over hours as it drifted from a higher latitude to a lower latitude, or vice versa.

Posted

The man in the moon....

Last year the moon was further north than I ve ever seen through a window that I ve never seen before it so the evidence is clear.

And so far south this year its crazy.

The man in the moon is on his side.

image.thumb.png.5e7a05afd3ae4323d2ddf28f2dd2d374.png

Posted

On 15/07/2021 at 11:59, Timmytour said:

I think the argument is that the wobble this time will play havoc with the rising sea levels that climate change will have caused since the time of the last wobble.

But although this wobble was first discovered back in 1728, I'm guessing the actual means of measuring it accurately is something new.

My gut feeling is that every time scientists have a new way of measuring something, or discover something new about the earth, they associate it with some sort of impending armageddon to bring attention to what they have achieved.  I'm sure we were once led to believe the hole in the ozone layer was a man made thing not something that naturally occured!

Anyway, I'd really love to know the start and end point of these 18.6 year cycles to gauge whether or not a link to our CETs can be linked to it however loosely!   

I think a more correct thing to say would be every time scientists discover something new, (some of) the media associate it with some sort of impending armageddon.

The ozone hole was/is a man made thing. Mainly due to manufactured chemicals (CFCs etc), banned in 1989 under the Montreal Protocol (actually considered the most successful international environmental agreement to date), hence we've seen some sort of recovery.

That seems quite a sensationalist/clickbait like headline, possibly surprisingly so for that newspaper,  however I don't really read the Torygraph anyway.

Edit: forgot to clear old quotes, sorry if anyone got a random notification that I had quoted them.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

These supermoons are certainly new and weird another new term..

Three Supermoons in a Row
 July 10, 2014

image.thumb.png.bc0f47f029a26fad52ff74299cad0388.png

Edited by Snowyowl9