Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very uneventful week weather-wise here, constant grey skies, no precipitation, just dreary and chilly (maximum temperatures of around 14°C). No mellow sunshine or seasonal mist or fog to enjoy  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I can tolerate cold weather, but only when there's a realistic prospect of snowfall, and with all the talk of a 'backloaded', 'front-loaded' winter (in other words, what gets said every autumn!) I'm already counting the days till the days start lengthening again!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
45 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Despite the chilly start it’s warmed up nicely and again it’s looking like another 9/10 day at worst. 

Same here. 19c and blue skies now, with a high of 22c expected the next 5 days. Very nice indeed.

• Like 1

Posted

Always love a bit of early autumn sunshine, but I completely mangled 3 of my toes last week, so all I can do is admire the sun from the sofa - gutted!

It was 7.9.c here late night - and that means Winter Duvet Night (always an exciting day maked with cocoa, fresh bedding and an early night in our sad, sad household!!!) is near.

There is nothing like putting the winter duvet on, though. It's like sleeping in a cloud!!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Team Squirrel said:

Always love a bit of early autumn sunshine, but I completely mangled 3 of my toes last week, so all I can do is admire the sun from the sofa - gutted!

It was 7.9.c here late night - and that means Winter Duvet Night (always an exciting day maked with cocoa, fresh bedding and an early night in our sad, sad household!!!) is near.

There is nothing like putting the winter duvet on, though. It's like sleeping in a cloud!!

Oooh I would die lol! It dropped to 6.1c over night but it still managed to only drop to 22c in our south facing bedroom! It was 21 downstairs. I've been sleeping under sheets and thin blankets recently and not even the summer duvet. I am however also approaching "that time of life" women have that means they are baking to death and it's always at night it gets me!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The cloud vs. sunshine debate has some interesting nuances.  In the UK, sunny weather is preferred by the majority of people because we have a predominantly cloudy climate, which results in a relatively high incidence of Seasonal Affective Disorder and related issues.  But I've seen evidence that in many parts of the world with very sunny climates, it's the other way around.

I had a taste of this in early June 2020 when, following the phenomenally sunny back end of May that gave the UK as a whole its sunniest calendar month on record, a large part of me briefly welcomed the cloudier weather because it made a change from having constant sunshine.  It soon wore off though as the UK climate returned to its usual predominantly cloudy state. 

My impression, having lived through many months in this country and holidayed in various parts of France, is that, for me, annual sunshine totals of between 2000 and 2500 hours, or around 50% of the possible total, would be ideal.  Sunshine amounts in the UK, especially eastern England, have generally been increasing in recent decades, probably due mainly to the reduced "global dimming" effect from human aerosol emissions, but of course away from southern coastal fringes we're still averaging well under 2000 hours per year.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

First day back home after a 10 day road trip around the south west and it truly felt like summer on all but 2 of those days (one of which started fine but ended in drizzly greyness the following day stared grey and drizzly, then cleared up as they day wore on). I complained, of course, but really we were spoilt with fabulous weather for our time away. The evening are cooler now, but there was even a bit of sunburn it felt that hot - doesn't happen that often in September. However, although today is pleasant back home, the garden is feeling distinctly Autumnal

Posted
20 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Oooh I would die lol! It dropped to 6.1c over night but it still managed to only drop to 22c in our south facing bedroom! It was 21 downstairs. I've been sleeping under sheets and thin blankets recently and not even the summer duvet. I am however also approaching "that time of life" women have that means they are baking to death and it's always at night it gets me!

We are in a bit of an odd situation where  we have to sleep with the window wide open all night all year due to humidity issues in our tiny, crappy 80's build flat. No central heating either so I guess we are chillier than other people's bedrooms. I too am facing 'those' years soon - I'm wondering if I'll need a winter duvet at all!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Whilst I very much want some autumnal weather now, I give it this much.. at least it does feel nice and is showing August up for how bad it was. Currently 19 Celsius (a top temp of 20c forecast for my area today), mostly sunny, low humidity and a very slight gentle breeze. These are the kind of weather conditions we should have had more of during the summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Whilst I very much want some autumnal weather now, I give it this much.. at least it does feel nice and is showing August up for how bad it was. Currently 19 Celsius (a top temp of 20c forecast for my area today), mostly sunny, low humidity and a very slight gentle breeze. These are the kind of weather conditions we should have had more of during the summer.

Having such a poor summer why are you wanting Autumn to arrive whilst we are getting some great 'Consolation'?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
6 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Having such a poor summer why are you wanting Autumn to arrive whilst we are getting some great 'Consolation'?

Because I like all 4 seasons, but at the right time of the year.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Because I like all 4 seasons, but at the right time of the year.

If you lived here in the Pennines you may think a little different,there is plenty of time for Autumn and Winter.

Posted
2 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

We are in a bit of an odd situation where  we have to sleep with the window wide open all night all year due to humidity issues in our tiny, crappy 80's build flat. No central heating either so I guess we are chillier than other people's bedrooms. I too am facing 'those' years soon - I'm wondering if I'll need a winter duvet at all!!

Ah fair play then! That makes sense. I'm 40 next month so not even "that" old. But been symptomatic since I was 36! Guess it's going to be a long time until it is done too so no winter duvet for many years for me lol

• Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Ah fair play then! That makes sense. I'm 40 next month so not even "that" old. But been symptomatic since I was 36! Guess it's going to be a long time until it is done too so no winter duvet for many years for me lol

The joys of perimenopause!  My bedroom window is open almost all year round (it has to get down to freezing for me to close it) but summer leaves me generally sleep deprived between being too hot to fall asleep, and being woken up drenched in sweat. Lovely! 

Now my idea of bliss is being cold enough to be able to snuggle under my duvet, rather than spending several hours constantly pushing the bedclothes on and off! BTW, I'm only 45.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

My favourite time of the year, warm without being oppressively hot,  sloes all picked for the Christmas Gin,  plus 2 lb of Blackberries this afternoon for Blackberry and Apple Tarts.  I don't mind the evenings drawing in , its nice to get home  draw the blinds  and put me feet up.

• Like 3

Posted
46 minutes ago, Hirudine said:

The joys of perimenopause!  My bedroom window is open almost all year round (it has to get down to freezing for me to close it) but summer leaves me generally sleep deprived between being too hot to fall asleep, and being woken up drenched in sweat. Lovely! 

Now my idea of bliss is being cold enough to be able to snuggle under my duvet, rather than spending several hours constantly pushing the bedclothes on and off! BTW, I'm only 45.

It's kinda annoying as I will wake up cold so put a layer on then yes wake up dripping so throw it off then get cold and put another layer back on ... all night long ... I acutally miss my younger years of being cold and getting all snugged up in a duvet too!!

• Like 2

Posted

It's been pretty chilly here the past few days. Today was wet and failed to get above 15C for the first time since May. Up to 25C again though this weekend.

I've noticed the trees starting to change colour.

• Like 1

Posted

Feeling a bit more autumnal today, whatever that means. Still fairly mild, max 17 degrees, but noticing the lowering light levels, and mother nature is changing colour. By the new coming week, should be in firm autumn mode, rather late this year, but not unusual, often takes until the equinox for autumn to kick in properly. Waiting for that first frost of the season, when that happens any vestige of summer is thrown out the door.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

The cloud vs. sunshine debate has some interesting nuances.  In the UK, sunny weather is preferred by the majority of people because we have a predominantly cloudy climate, which results in a relatively high incidence of Seasonal Affective Disorder and related issues.  But I've seen evidence that in many parts of the world with very sunny climates, it's the other way around.

I had a taste of this in early June 2020 when, following the phenomenally sunny back end of May that gave the UK as a whole its sunniest calendar month on record, a large part of me briefly welcomed the cloudier weather because it made a change from having constant sunshine.  It soon wore off though as the UK climate returned to its usual predominantly cloudy state. 

My impression, having lived through many months in this country and holidayed in various parts of France, is that, for me, annual sunshine totals of between 2000 and 2500 hours, or around 50% of the possible total, would be ideal.  Sunshine amounts in the UK, especially eastern England, have generally been increasing in recent decades, probably due mainly to the reduced "global dimming" effect from human aerosol emissions, but of course away from southern coastal fringes we're still averaging well under 2000 hours per year.

Agree, too much of one thing isn’t great weather-wise for an enthusiast, but if annual sunshine totals were 2000-2500 hours in the UK then it would be so much more pleasant and endurable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I could complain saying this September has been albeit boring and dry and makes it largely uninteresting from an enthusiast's point of view but overall the weather has made up for it.

image.thumb.png.399ae14ee53e6199b91ddc59db55c3cf.png

The sunshine has been brilliant along with temps, nothing too hot. 122.7 hours at Manston nearby. Gives a nice little extension of summer. 21.7c mean tmax, 18.1c tmean so far.

Although, I'll be wishing for the sun back in the winter when the sun vanishes 90% of the time . Never realised how much I relied on the sun being out until the notably dull month of January this year with sun almost non-existent in the first half.

Do think October will be v wet, the typical v dry to v wet shifts in recent months. 3 mm so far this month.

Inevitably the northerlies will return at the wrong time and plague me in cloud all winter so have to milk what you have before it's gone!

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

Do think October will be v wet, the typical v dry to v wet shifts in recent months. 3 mm so far this month.

I have a strong feeling that October is going to be a wet one too and possibly the first half of November, seeing as both August and September have been dry. Mother Nature always seems to balance things out eventually. Ie.. the very wet winter of 2019/20 followed by the very dry spring.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1