Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

Days are FAR too short here in the winter months. Hardly any usable light at all if you work full time.

At least in places like New York most people are travelling to work in some kind of daylight- the sunrise is considerably earlier in January there than it is in the UK.

It's really very depressing for many people to travel to and from work for weeks/months on end in total darkness 

Would staying on BST eradicate the problem? Lighter evenings in winter, though mornings wouldn’t benefit

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

Days are FAR too short here in the winter months. Hardly any usable light at all if you work full time.

At least in places like New York most people are travelling to work in some kind of daylight- the sunrise is considerably earlier in January there than it is in the UK.

It's really very depressing for many people to travel to and from work for weeks/months on end in total darkness 

I mean, what do you want then?  For the entire island of Great Britain to be dragged south 10 degrees so it isn't too dark in the mornings?  Complaining about the weather is one thing but complaining about day length at certain latitudes seems especially redundant.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Top scale warmth today, to be honest tough going at times, hit 46c in one room i was in. As for the BST argument i personally love going to work in the dark, by far i find the best time of any day summer winter whatever is dawn. Getting paid to drive or sit watching that new day start for me is and always will be special.

• Like 4

Posted
19 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Would staying on BST eradicate the problem? Lighter evenings in winter, though mornings wouldn’t benefit

I would be in favour of staying on BST but it would actually make the mornings worse with later sunrises. It doesn't actually add any daylight at all. There just isn't anything you can do to solve the very short days which are totally down to latitude.

Personally though I would deal with very late sunrises if it meant having some extra daylight in the evenings.

• Like 1

Posted

An absolutely stunning couple of days here- both days have reached 28C and it's been almost unbroken sunshine.

2 of the best days I can ever remember in September around these parts. 25/26C has been reached a lot in September around here in the past but it's rare to exceed 28C.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 08/09/2021 at 16:34, Scorcher said:

I don’t get what difference it makes whether you travel in the light or the dark. The amount of light per day has never really affected me at all from a mental health perspective. In fact, I’m more disturbed by 4am light than 4pm darkness.

As ever, each to their own I guess.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Simon M said:

I mean, what do you want then?  For the entire island of Great Britain to be dragged south 10 degrees so it isn't too dark in the mornings?  Complaining about the weather is one thing but complaining about day length at certain latitudes seems especially redundant.

It's the moan thread, stop being so holier than thou...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

I like it as it is: I wouldn't want it any lighter in summer and I wouldn't want it any darker in winter. Also I wouldn't want any more UV in summer. It's in my opinion the right balance between UV with a difference between summer and winter but without being extreme. If one wants long evenings in summer there's a payoff 6 months before/after.

As for BST, I wouldn't want winter to be an hour forward as yes there'll be a bit more light in the evenings but it'll still be dark when most get home and the mornings will be very, very dark.

Regarding time zones, I also like where we are. Go back an hour the evenings will be too dark and mornings too light, especially in summer. Go forward an hour it'll be vice versa. A quick browse online and you'll see some very odd time zones with solar noon and clock noon hours out.

There's a lot I dislike about the climate of NW Europe, struggling to deliver prolonged seasonal weather, but with the daylight I'm a very happy customer!

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I don’t get what difference it makes whether you travel in the light or the dark. The amount of light per day has never really affected me at all from a mental health perspective. In fact, I’m more disturbed by 4am light than 4pm darkness.

As ever, each to their own I guess.

You've contradicted yourself there though- you don't see why light levels affect people but then say that you yourself are affected by light mornings?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
4 hours ago, Scorcher said:

An absolutely stunning couple of days here- both days have reached 28C and it's been almost unbroken sunshine.

2 of the best days I can ever remember in September around these parts. 25/26C has been reached a lot in September around here in the past but it's rare to exceed 28C.

Yes very continental like and feeling tropical in the warm pitch black darkness, already its four hours into darkness and its still boiling in the city which is very unusual for September, very rarely do we get warm pitch blackness in Summer let alone September.. But this heatwave is nothing compared to Sept 2011 which exceeded 28C for a number of days and was at the end of September and not early Sept. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Cooling down nicely in the countryside now being september, although warm during the day the evenings are pleasent and cool enough for a good nights sleep,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
11 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Yes very continental like and feeling tropical in the warm pitch black darkness, already its four hours into darkness and its still boiling in the city which is very unusual for September, very rarely do we get warm pitch blackness in Summer let alone September.. But this heatwave is nothing compared to Sept 2011 which exceeded 28C for a number of days and was at the end of September and not early Sept. 

Under half an hour from midnight and it's 21C here which they call a "tropical night" and I am surrounded by fields so pretty unusual. I'm guessing it's got to be another 3-4C in the most built up parts of the city. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Wednesday here hit 29.0 °C, and it felt it too, though after mid-afternoon it wasn't always sunny unlike yesterday. Only three days during the July hot spell exceeded today's max, and since the outright max was 29.9 °C (twice!) if today had been even one degree warmer my 2021 high would have been in September. Still warm outside (18 °C), but there have been a few sharpish showers to bring this hot spell to an end.

It hasn't been a bad one. I feel it's at least slight payback for the cold (and, in May, miserably wet) spring, when I only scraped to 20 °C at the very end of May. Hopefully the rest of September will bring some more pleasant days, even if low 20s are probably the best I can hope for now.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

The absolute max in the 2011 spell wasn't over 28C in Manchester though, as far as I can tell in the records.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

First proper rain in just over a month this morning. Very  welcome!

Shame about the lack of storms. Only in this country could we get such pre storm humidity without a storm...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
14 hours ago, Scorcher said:

I would be in favour of staying on BST but it would actually make the mornings worse with later sunrises. It doesn't actually add any daylight at all. There just isn't anything you can do to solve the very short days which are totally down to latitude.

Personally though I would deal with very late sunrises if it meant having some extra daylight in the evenings.

Nothing we can do about the short day length in winter, the longer days in summer do compensate somewhat. I’ve sometimes wondered why the UK isn’t in the same time zone as Spain and France, seems a bit odd to be an hour behind those countries at a similar longitude. It is what it is, I did find it getting dark at 4pm in winter quite irritating though, especially when trying to get stuff done on the allotment and my SAD gets bad by January 

Posted
21 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Nothing we can do about the short day length in winter, the longer days in summer do compensate somewhat. I’ve sometimes wondered why the UK isn’t in the same time zone as Spain and France, seems a bit odd to be an hour behind those countries at a similar longitude. It is what it is, I did find it getting dark at 4pm in winter quite irritating though, especially when trying to get stuff done on the allotment and my SAD gets bad by January 

I think that's more a case of Spain being in a very strange timezone for its longitude, I can't imagine there are too many countries in the world that are further ahead of solar time than Spain. Midday sun in Spain is after 2pm at this time of year I believe. It would make sense for us to be on the same time as France though.

Apparently Spain followed GMT until the early 1940s when Franco changed the timezone to match Nazi Germany.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
27 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

The weird thing living in Madrid was how it was still almost completely dark at 8am in December and January. Very odd. Yes it got darker an hour later but the mornings were a struggle.

Thankfully winter is a sunnier and less cold affair over there.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Three out of last 4 nights Ive had below freezing where I am measuring in Slovakia, a trully unique place in context of cold nights. Cant wait for winter minimas. Last mediocre winter still produced -26.9C.

Screenshot_2021-09-09-10-37-01-583_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The smell of petrichor as the rain moved in last night was amazing. Lovely fresh feeling today.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've often thought I'd prefer a bit less variation in the daylight hours, maybe from 9-10 hours of daylight in midwinter to 14-15 hours in the summer, which is around what they get in New Zealand at nearer 40 degrees from the equator.  Sunnier winters would also be helpful.  I have often quite enjoyed October and December over the years, as October sometimes has autumnal colours and can produce a wide variety of weather, and in December we have the run up to Christmas and the short daylight has some novelty value, but November and January in particular have often been testing for me.  I find February less depressing as the daylight is finally beginning to increase substantially. 

We can't do anything about our daylight hours but then again we can't do anything about our weather either, so I don't really get the argument about not being able to have a bit of a moan about daylight hours in the moans thread.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I've often thought I'd prefer a bit less variation in the daylight hours, maybe from 9-10 hours of daylight in midwinter to 14-15 hours in the summer, which is around what they get in New Zealand at nearer 40 degrees from the equator.  Sunnier winters would also be helpful.  I have often quite enjoyed October and December over the years, as October sometimes has autumnal colours and can produce a wide variety of weather, and in December we have the run up to Christmas and the short daylight has some novelty value, but November and January in particular have often been testing for me.  I find February less depressing as the daylight is finally beginning to increase substantially. 

We can't do anything about our daylight hours but then again we can't do anything about our weather either, so I don't really get the argument about not being able to have a bit of a moan about daylight hours in the moans thread.

I couldn't agree more with this post. Winter would be much more bearable for me if January was sunnier. As you say, December has the novelty factor with the run up to Christmas, It just seems like such a slog after that though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
15 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I couldn't agree more with this post. Winter would be much more bearable for me if January was sunnier. As you say, December has the novelty factor with the run up to Christmas, It just seems like such a slog after that though.

January is far more enjoyable if we actually get wintry weather. But I can completely understand why some find unsettled, gloomy Januarys particularly difficult.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Was there not talk of doing away with going back/forward an hour and every country was expected to stick to one after this year, what happened to that?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
37 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I can agree with this. I think everybody pretty much hates January, the Xmas buzz has gone, and it's still dark and cold.

I don't start feeling a bit more upbeat until we reach mid February and sunset starts to pull out beyond 5pm and the depths of darkness are on the way out. Obviously it still takes a good 2-3 months to warm up after this anyway, but spring is just lovely with the right weather. The endless sunshine of April this year was nice, just a shame it was so cold to go with it! 

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 5