Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
On 23/10/2021 at 21:47, MP-R said:

Or 2018 - 24 degrees max on the 10th and 5 degrees max on the 26th. Perhaps the only other time of year capable of that being mid-March to mid-April.

Ah I must have missed that, I was away that month but you're quite right having looked at records. There were some very warm nights as well which I'll attribute to the hot summer legacy SSTs!

9h and I forgot heat in 2011. 

I'd still say on average though mid-Autum is LESS interesting weather wise. We've left the true summer heat potential behind but yer to enter the cold chase. As I say though, I love the colours and that damp smell 

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I know that we still have November to go yet, but this autumn is turning out to be quite a forgettable one for me with hardly anything particularly noteworthy happening. However, the models are suggesting that November will have some more spice to it. So here's hoping! 

Just like summer was. Oh and the best part of Spring ... Sigh!

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Just like summer was. Oh and the best part of Spring ... Sigh!

Spring was a disappointment, apart from the nice few days of warm weather at the end of March, and the cold sunny dry periods in April. But, the cold cloudy damp May, and cloudy summer has made this a very boring year for weather.

No real thunderstorms for my neck of the woods, just some distant rumbles, and way too many cloudy dull days. Only remember 3 and a half weeks of sunny warm clear days between late May and early September.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

2020 was a sun fest here from late March through to late September. We were lucky because colleagues and relatives even just a 100 miles away said they had an okay summer where cloud was more persistent. It was the earliest I had got the BBQ out and the latest I put it away.

I feared that the laws of balance would come into effect this year and sadly I was right; we barely strung a decent spell together.

Even though I know nature doesn't work this way, it felt like we used too many Sun Credits last year leaving few for this year!

I've learnt this year including from winter, a weak Atlantic doesn't mean you'll have glorious weather!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A few periods stand out for me this year as being sunny (which perhaps tells you how dull the rest of the year has been...)

1) April overall was very sunny, the sunniest month this year, but it wasn’t until the third week that it was actually remotely warm at the same time.

2) May 30th - June 16th was largely sunny and warm with a few cloudier day’s dotted around. One might’ve thought a decent summer was on the way...

3) July 14th - 23rd was the pinnacle of summer for me. The main heatwave of the summer and what contributed to the only other month with 200+ hours of sun here.

4) September 04th - 08th saw the mini comeback of summer. A brief affair tis time around but notable nonetheless.

The rest of the year has been rather meh, albeit not terrible. I feel we’ve done better here in the West Country than many parts of the country for sunshine.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Beautiful day here after a slight frost first thing. Perfect conditions to enjoy the autumn colours.

EC293F6D-8178-4965-8959-8A84147AEB27.jpeg

4C1971F3-BDDF-4A31-BFA1-DC2F73B28295.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

A few periods stand out for me this year as being sunny (which perhaps tells you how dull the rest of the year has been...)

1) April overall was very sunny, the sunniest month this year, but it wasn’t until the third week that it was actually remotely warm at the same time.

2) May 30th - June 16th was largely sunny and warm with a few cloudier day’s dotted around. One might’ve thought a decent summer was on the way...

3) July 14th - 23rd was the pinnacle of summer for me. The main heatwave of the summer and what contributed to the only other month with 200+ hours of sun here.

4) September 04th - 08th saw the mini comeback of summer. A brief affair tis time around but notable nonetheless.

The rest of the year has been rather meh, albeit not terrible. I feel we’ve done better here in the West Country than many parts of the country for sunshine.

Certainly felt quite dull. Being in the SE all summer it’s actually felt incredibly dull, after a dull autumn and winter. April stood out like a sore thumb though. Actually lead me to a question, when’s the last time we had a year that came out widely duller than average. IIRC, in recent years, even ones that had poor summers had at least near average sunshine. I checked and you have to go back to 2017 to find a year with areas with notably low annual sun totals, though still sunny in the southeast. Indeed, you have to go all the way back to 2002 to find a nationally severely dull year (though still not as bad in the south). 2004 pretty dull too. Anyways, back to 2021… Be interesting to see final figures for sunshine. I’m imaging perhaps a sunnier year in the north but a much duller year here in the south east, perhaps for quite some time. Anomaly maps show only April has been appreciably above average for sunshine in the SE this year. 

Ugh was expecting the odd shower, it’s rained most of the afternoon. 

Despite a being a wet month most of the rain has been concentrated in shorts spells of heavy rain meaning many days have been very usable. Hopefully it’ll be mild right through winter, in fact ultra mild as I really don’t want to line Vlad’s pockets for heating my house more than ever before, got better things to spend my money on. 

Posted

Has there ever been a widespread white Halloween? ❄️ It would be extremely difficult for it to happen so early but I wonder if it ever has?

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

Has there ever been a widespread white Halloween? ❄️ It would be extremely difficult for it to happen so early but I wonder if it ever has?

A rarity I suspect, but probably have been a handful albeit snow most likely on higher ground and in the north. We had a late October northerly in 2008 that produced widespread low level snow cover, but I think it was the 28th or 29th, definately not Halloween.

White Bonfire Nights have been rare as well, 1980 delivered a couple of inches over Channel Islands.

In recent years both nights have often been mild or exceptionally mild.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think it happened quite widely in 1934.

image.thumb.png.7fa2622a5a3b290050b8a13b77da31a5.png

Also 31 October 1974 had falling sleet/snow quite widely but not lying at low levels.  There had been a northerly on the 29th/30th with wintry showers, and rain that pushed eastwards against the cold air turned to sleet and wet snow in some places.

An amusing coincidence: those two wintry Halloweens were followed by the two warmest Decembers of the twentieth century.

Regarding Bonfire Nights, in Cleadon in Tyne and Wear a rogue shower down the east coast brought wet snow during the Oakleigh Gardens firework display on 5 November 1991.  It was my second memory of snow after the far more famous and widespread event in February 1991.

image.thumb.png.eea593ac8d4e6857057d3e62501a8104.png

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Looking at the extended weather forecast on BBC there is no sign of any frost or ice which is absolutely splendid in my book. A mild winter is definitely in my book. 

I might be wrong but I think if you’re after a mild winter you might be disappointed this year...especially early doors. Call it a hunch

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I think it happened quite widely in 1934.

image.thumb.png.7fa2622a5a3b290050b8a13b77da31a5.png

Also 31 October 1974 had falling sleet/snow quite widely but not lying at low levels.  There had been a northerly on the 29th/30th with wintry showers, and rain that pushed eastwards against the cold air turned to sleet and wet snow in some places.

An amusing coincidence: those two wintry Halloweens were followed by the two warmest Decembers of the twentieth century.

Regarding Bonfire Nights, in Cleadon in Tyne and Wear a rogue shower down the east coast brought wet snow during the Oakleigh Gardens firework display on 5 November 1991.  It was my second memory of snow after the far more famous and widespread event in February 1991.

image.thumb.png.eea593ac8d4e6857057d3e62501a8104.png

Synoptics not too dissimilar to what is being shown currently for Bonfire Night this year.

Posted
25 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

I might be wrong but I think if you’re after a mild winter you might be disappointed this year...especially early doors. Call it a hunch

Ok. Well I am not a fan of freezing cold weather. So we will see what unfolds. But all the best whatever ..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Looking at the extended weather forecast on BBC there is no sign of any frost or ice which is absolutely splendid in my book. A mild winter is definitely in my book. 

Quite a rarity for somebody on here to say that.  ❄️

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
18 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Quite a rarity for somebody on here to say that.  ❄️

What I find odd when people suggest they hope for a warm, mild winter in the U.K. is that they’re posting on a weather forum.  Surely you hope for something different than what basically amounts to a continuum of autumn weather in winter months and provides little in the way of interest for a weather enthusiast.. 

Posted

Mild winters are mind numbingly boring and unpleasant. It just means continuous wind, rain and grey skies. Zero interest.

I can understand not liking being cold and not wanting disruption from snow and ice but to actually like that mild dross is just weird. Besides, wind and rain makes it feel colder than lower temperatures and calm conditions and can be just as disruptive as snow and ice. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

I agree; not liking or wanting cold weather is understandable. In fact, with everything going on currently, I'm wondering if a cold winter is what we really need. I can put up with mild - in fact, if it's dry & sunny then fine - it means I can get out on the bike more often & longer. However, we normally get the grey, wet & windy mild weather......oh dear. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Mild winters are mind numbingly boring and unpleasant. It just means continuous wind, rain and grey skies. Zero interest.

I can understand not liking being cold and not wanting disruption from snow and ice but to actually like that mild dross is just weird. Besides, wind and rain makes it feel colder than lower temperatures and calm conditions and can be just as disruptive as snow and ice. 

Well love heat and humidity and temps around 30c and I find it a bit weird when everyone complains it's too hot after about 3 days. I can't stand the cold.  But we are all different and like different things. What will be will be ! 

• Like 3

Posted

I too like heat, in the warmer months when we can actually get real heat that isn't accompanied by grey sky, wind and rain (thunderstorms aside). Mild winter weather is just plain crap, boring, and a nuisance. It's the only type of weather I absolutely hate.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I personally don't mind hot spells during the summer too much, as well as cold spells during the winter as neither of them last all that long in this country. And they do make summer and winter more interesting.

What I really don't want to see is a temp of 15 Celsius in either January or July.

In fact, I am getting bored of 15 Celsius temps now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

I would like to see cold and snow this winter ............ but we shall see. Great to be back thou for winter 21/22 and another rollercoaster ride on NW ?

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Beanz said:

What I find odd when people suggest they hope for a warm, mild winter in the U.K. is that they’re posting on a weather forum.  Surely you hope for something different than what basically amounts to a continuum of autumn weather in winter months and provides little in the way of interest for a weather enthusiast.. 

I'm a warmie but I want 7 inches of snow in winter thank you very much!! Seasons should be ... well ... seasoney!

• Like 3