Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
4 minutes ago, Tamara said:

I saw the same, at least in terms of appearance this morning and it was drizzling and very overcast. Looking out the window, It looked like late autumn in the UK if you ignored the exotic plants - palms, banana. bougainvillea etc.

Steeping outside though it was close to 20C at 9am with the full overcast cloud cover. Inside the house it was still quite dark and needed a side lamp on.  The thick cloud gradually thinned a bit eventually to occasionally allow very brief filtered sun but it stayed very cloudy pretty much throughout the day.. It still got to 24/25C this afternoon despite the thick cloud and felt like sup tropical velvet

I am absolutely jealous that it is still 24/25c . Not gonna see that till April/May IF we are lucky! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
On 17/10/2021 at 23:06, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I am absolutely jealous that it is still 24/25c . Not gonna see that till April/May IF we are lucky! 

Hopefully we won't see those temps till June 

Edited by simshady
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
37 minutes ago, simshady said:

Hopefully we won't see those temps till June 

To true. Thankfully those kind of temps at this time of year in the UK are unheard of! 

• Like 3

Posted
23 hours ago, MP-R said:

Yes the opening few days were very foggy here after the positively springlike first day. Oddly, it was a mild fog.

Oh yes November 2015, only one of the first 12 days had any sunshine. Thick fog and 10-12C while over in Wales it was 21 and sunny. As you say it wasnt classic frosty autumn/winter fog but mild gunk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Had to swap the jumper for a coat this morning.

Still not that cold but a bite in the wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Gorgeous sunny October day here, blue skies, 16°C with a light S’ly breeze Am sitting outside eating my lunch, most pleasant.

B91F4AD5-D342-4720-A89C-397E1D11566C.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
47 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Gorgeous sunny October day here, blue skies, 16°C with a light S’ly breeze Am sitting outside eating my lunch, most pleasant.

B91F4AD5-D342-4720-A89C-397E1D11566C.jpeg

Looks nice mate. Enjoy

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Oh well, the 12 consecutive settled days we've had this month so far were nice. Three days of grotty damp gloom start today.

In better news, the models once again aren't too bad for the far south, and the bright interlude later this week starts a bit earlier so Thursday could be bright and dry down here. Latest GFS 06Z continues to show high pressure above 1020mb in the south next week, so while sun will be limited, I suspect, it will often be relatively dry - and warm for the time of the year - so maybe not too unpleasant.

Next weekend's disturbance now takes the form of a north-south trough rather than a cutoff low, but pressure isn't too low in the south so maybe a fairly weak system here. Also seems to pass through Saturday night/Sunday morning, arguably the least disruptive timing for the weekend.

Nonetheless in view of the very wet first 5 days and wet next 3 days, with lighter rain at times in the last week of the month, I suspect it's odds-on for another duller and wetter month than average, albeit one which will end up very mild.

Then that northerly is still there so quite a dramatic change at the turn of the month.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
31 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Looks nice mate. Enjoy

Indeed. Clearly illustrates why I'd swap the NW European climate for the Czech climate if I could.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Oh well, the 12 consecutive settled days we've had this month so far were nice. Three days of grotty damp gloom start today.

Don’t write off tomorrow afternoon after a drizzly/showery warm front has lifted North in the morning. Could (could!) become warm and sunny in the SE quarter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Thursday is looking like cool day - a high of 10 Celsius is forecast for my neck of the woods; the coolest day here since the 5th of May. 

I personally love experiencing the gradual drop in temperatures during autumn, as well as the gradual increase in temperatures during the spring.  

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Thursday is looking like cool day - a high of 10 Celsius is forecast for my neck of the woods; the coolest day here since the 5th of May. 

I personally love experiencing the gradual drop in temperatures during autumn, as well as the gradual increase in temperatures during the spring.  

Yes I always find that interesting. although the drop in temp during late September until early November seems more notable and much more rapid, than the increase during March to May.

This year, it took a long time to sustain plus 20c daytime maxes, even in London. May 24th, which is my birthday, is usually warm or hot. However, this year the temp was still struggling to reach 12-14c with a cold damp wind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
24 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes I always find that interesting. although the drop in temp during late September until early November seems more notable and much more rapid, than the increase during March to May.

This year, it took a long time to sustain plus 20c daytime maxes, even in London. May 24th, which is my birthday, is usually warm or hot. However, this year the temp was still struggling to reach 12-14c with a cold damp wind.

Your birthday is on the same day as my dad's, so that date is often quite a memorable one for me. I remember clearly how unseasonal the weather conditions were on that day this year. I can also recall on that date back in 2012, it was a hot and sunny day.

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Your birthday is on the same day as my dad's, so that date is often quite a memorable one for me. I remember clearly how unseasonal the weather conditions were on that day this year. I can also recall on that date back in 2012, it was a hot and sunny day.

I remember my birthday date on and off back to 1984(yes it is weird, but that's memory for you)

My birthday date this year was a shocker, and probably the coldest since 1994 or 1995, which we both cool or chilly periods.

The worst thing about this May, just how poor it was for sunshine and warm temps. It was almost a given every May 24th since at least 2009, that the day in question would be very warm or hot. It always signals the start of summer for me, and the early summer weather usually should get going.

We didn't have to wait too long though, as it was finally very warm for a few days over the late May bank holiday. Little did some of us know, this would be part of only several weeks of nice sunny weather for the south in summer 2021.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Absurdly mild out there today. I'll be opening the windows in the house later to warm the place up!

• Like 1

Posted

I love how the Met Office thunderstorm warnings for tomorrow make absolutely no mention of any rainfall totals! 

Posted

It did get vaguely brighter earlier, but has returned to dull.

I think there is a general rule, that holds in pretty much all cases, that if an active warm front (enough to produce significant rain) goes through, and the wind remains southwesterly, there is little or no chance of any sunshine to speak of.

The only cases of improving weather behind an active warm front are those where the wind becomes SE and brings in drier tropical continental air, or air from south-eastern Europe. I think the October 1995 warm spell was a rare example of that - an active warm front did pass through, but then the wind backed to a southeasterly quarter and much drier air came in.

Text books often mention sunny warm sectors followed by thundery cold fronts, but they are generally written from a US viewpoint, and because the US is a larger landmass it conforms to 'textbook' weather much more than northwestern Europe. Other, more continental parts of Europe 'do' warm sectors and cold fronts better than we do up here, too.

Could certainly do with a good thunderstorm to clear this lot out!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

Quite a bit muggy today thanks to the south westerly. But it did feel pleasant when I went out for a walk this morning, thanks to the nice breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Yup bloody awful here in S wales. Thick cloud, mist, humidity through the roof and plenty of heavy rain bands coming through

Posted

Lovely here in Bucks now. 17C and sunny spells. It's wrong for this time of year, but will be nice when I head out for lunch shortly. Comfortably t-shirt weather.